Help a noob setup a home studio !

jonny999

Hello, my name is Subrata Rabidas and i am from India.

I am setting up home recording studio with all infrastructure (sound treatment) nearly done.
So, until last two days, i had no idea about studio equipments, now i am exploring to find some but still not sure what to buy.

Usage: Vocals, guitar, keyboard and maybe drums sometimes.

So my shopping list are:

1. Audio Interface:
My choice- Focusrite 6i6 USB
2. Mic:
-AKG c214

3. Studio Monitor: (Do i need pair of these or one will do?)
-M audio BX5

4. External Display for laptop:
-LG ultrawide 25ub55

Laptop: Lenovo 580G (Core i5 3230m, 4GB ram), any benefit of upgrading ram or this is sufficient?

5. DAW:
Studio One Pro

Please revise this and suggest if i need anything more.
Thanks a lot in advance!!

i would suggest a pair of headphones for tracking purposes. You want to be able to hear yourself over headphones while recording everything. The HD280 Pros are some of the best and most used tracking headphones...and they're relatively cheap. I even use mine for mixing, but that's not recommended. You'll want 2 monitors unless you're mixing everything down as mono! You want that stereo spread and L and R isolation. Your software is good..i use S1Pro. Love it. Don't forgot a pop filter for your mic, or you can make one at home. Read up on some tips for how to conserve processing power for DAW use...things like turning off wifi, and making your Windows background the most basic all add up in a big way.

i would suggest a pair of headphones for tracking purposes. You want to be able to hear yourself over headphones while recording everything. The HD280 Pros are some of the best and most used tracking headphones...and they're relatively cheap. I even use mine for mixing, but that's not recommended. You'll want 2 monitors unless you're mixing everything down as mono! You want that stereo spread and L and R isolation. Your software is good..i use S1Pro. Love it. Don't forgot a pop filter for your mic, or you can make one at home. Read up on some tips for how to conserve processing power for DAW use...things like turning off wifi, and making your Windows background the most basic all add up in a big way.

I have 3 pairs of the HD280s, I love them.:D

You seem to be in good shape. You need a pair of monitors. I think the economical ones you have chosen make sense.

I would like to know more about your acoustical sound treatment.

hey, thanks a lot for replying guys, can anyone throw some light on RAM requirement? i have 4gb, should i need to upgrade it?

Back