"Heart In Your Hand" original

Hey man, nice song liked the vocals, reminded me some old schools steely dan for some reason.

here are my tips:

Verse sounds pretty good, would either compress on the high frequencies or try to manually lower chord changes in the guitar for that somewhat annoying (personal taste) finger drags between chords (that create a high pitch sound).

Bit more snare and less bass drum in verse. A bit of reverb in the snare would sound great a think.

Improve a bit either the volume or the pan in the chorus, Both the main guitar and the bass drum are too loud on the right side.

And a bass would make wonders for your song also, it would sound a lot more fat and rounded.

Anyways, this is my first post, I hope I didn't sound arrogant or annoying, I hope any of these help.

Cheers

I think you got the vocal level spot on with this one, but, I think you know what I'm going to say, I can't dig the doubled vocal. You know me, I'm not a fan of it at all. Yet, I think it works really well during the chorus. So maybe don't use it during the verse and throw it in there during the chorus.

One of the reasons I don't see it working with this one is because all the other tracks are fairly dry and up close, the vocal is the only track with a delayed type effect and it stands on top rather than blending in.

The kick sounds nice. In fact, kinda how I would like mine to sound, but maybe it could be dialed down a bit. As Charles said (Welcome to the site Charles), the bass could be more prominent.

All in all, a really good song. It's got that Fountain of Wayne thing going on.... see what I did there?? lmao. :laughings:

Dig the guitar solo, btw.

Mix is clear and open. I was going to suggest changing the snare flams during the chorus and then you did right at the end! I'd maybe add a ride in the chorus as well for variation and impact. I also thought the chorus vocal could use some smoothing as it cuts through harsh at a specific frequency. Mind you that could totally be my tinnitus so take that with a grain of salt. (I've been at work on headphones all day). Good jam

Really good tune that and I like the guitar tones....VST or mic'd recording? Any particular reason you doubled the vocal?..seemed to me the vocal style they may have sounded pretty cool drier...only ask cos I tend to double mine most of the time too.

Thanks for the great feedback! A little background on this one....for this band , I tend to write and record the music for our songs 1st ,on my own, laying down guitars , bass , sometimes keyboards, and arrange drums via loops, then, when complete send the project off to our singer who will write lyrics, and record his vocals. We both use Studio One for this process which makes sharing projects easy to edit/add etc. He tends to like the doubled vocal effect , so I leave that to him... I did agree about it being a little Bass guitar lite and tried to address that in new mix , as well as really back down on overall reverb to maybe help the vocals seem a little dry on the verses. All guitars where done thru LIne 6 POD HD500 into presonus audiobox 44 vsl. Im looking to see if I can find a live recording of my band playing it...its kinda cool how it comes to life that way as opposed to this demo kind of thing. Here is my new mix :
Heart In Your Hand Nu Mix 5 20 by stratmonkee | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I think you got the vocal level spot on with this one, but, I think you know what I'm going to say, I can't dig the doubled vocal. You know me, I'm not a fan of it at all. Yet, I think it works really well during the chorus. So maybe don't use it during the verse and throw it in there during the chorus.

One of the reasons I don't see it working with this one is because all the other tracks are fairly dry and up close, the vocal is the only track with a delayed type effect and it stands on top rather than blending in.

The kick sounds nice. In fact, kinda how I would like mine to sound, but maybe it could be dialed down a bit. As Charles said (Welcome to the site Charles), the bass could be more prominent.

All in all, a really good song. It's got that Fountain of Wayne thing going on.... see what I did there?? lmao. :laughings:

Dig the guitar solo, btw.

Thanks Chili! Love the Fountains Of Wayne drop!! :thumbs up: big fav working on the low end

Hey man, nice song liked the vocals, reminded me some old schools steely dan for some reason.

here are my tips:

Verse sounds pretty good, would either compress on the high frequencies or try to manually lower chord changes in the guitar for that somewhat annoying (personal taste) finger drags between chords (that create a high pitch sound).

Bit more snare and less bass drum in verse. A bit of reverb in the snare would sound great a think.

Improve a bit either the volume or the pan in the chorus, Both the main guitar and the bass drum are too loud on the right side.

And a bass would make wonders for your song also, it would sound a lot more fat and rounded.

Anyways, this is my first post, I hope I didn't sound arrogant or annoying, I hope any of these help.

Cheers
Hey , thanks for taking the time to comment, you know , I never really noticed those finger squeaks before, now , I cant stop hearing them...thanks alot :-)laughings: just kidding) . Going to see what I can do on those trying your suggestions. There is a Bass guitar in there but was kind of low, I did raise it in my new mix. Thanks again for your post and welcome to the site, this is really a great place to learn!

Mix is clear and open. I was going to suggest changing the snare flams during the chorus and then you did right at the end! I'd maybe add a ride in the chorus as well for variation and impact. I also thought the chorus vocal could use some smoothing as it cuts through harsh at a specific frequency. Mind you that could totally be my tinnitus so take that with a grain of salt. (I've been at work on headphones all day). Good jam

Thanks Bulls, going to try the ride in the chorus, did try some eq on the vocal on the newest mix to try and smooth those spikes , but I think they are still there....

Really good tune that and I like the guitar tones....VST or mic'd recording? Any particular reason you doubled the vocal?..seemed to me the vocal style they may have sounded pretty cool drier...only ask cos I tend to double mine most of the time too.
Cool on the guitar , used my Strat thru podhd500 for all guitars... Park75 model. Yeah I tend to double all my vocals as well....but agree , in this song would probably work better on the verse being a single track . Thanks for checking it out!

Back