Hear My First Song

Like what JUG said,

out of key is not off the beat, the note she is singing doesn't fit the notes your melodies are in. Like if the strongest part of the melody is in an "A" key, then you need to sing in an "A" key, not a "B" key because her "B" will be fighting with the "A" and it just doesn't sound good.

To help her, label your keyboard keys with stickers with the corresponding note name like "C, D, E, F, G,A,B,C" and all the flats and minors. Then play each key, and make her sound off with that key. When she sounds off, really listen and keep making her do it until she sounds exactly like the note you are hitting. Then she will figure out the key she needs to sing in.

That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

originally posted by flossyboy
To help her, label your keyboard keys with stickers with the corresponding note name like "C, D, E, F, G,A,B,C" and all the flats and minors. Then play each key, and make her sound off with that key. When she sounds off, really listen and keep making her do it until she sounds exactly like the note you are hitting. Then she will figure out the key she needs to sing in.

your'e the man

Good advice Flossboy perhaps it's time for me to begin my vocal stretching and stop looking for vocalist :D

She don't need no coach
she got Big Bro
and Ginuwine got Flossboy

what processing are you doing on her voice?

if you aren't processing her voice, then she just plain can't sing and you'd be better off finding someone who can.

unless she looks like Lisa Raye or
Gabrielle Union. in which case, get her a vocal coach.

i like what you are doing with the music and bringing in the melody on the chorus gives the song what you need to keep things interesting, but 4:08 of the same beat with no other changeups??? gotta put a break beat or a bridge in there.

i liked make moves much better then unexpected.

i agree with pretty much what everybody is sayin here

the vocals, well i can't even hear or understand what she was saying, she is off key and the vox ain't mixed properly it's buried underneath the beat

the beat is good, sounds like a radio ready r&b beat, a changeup heere and there never hurt like dude said

i liked it the beat was crazy especially for fruity loops i dont think she sing that badshe was off key some times but when she was on it reminded me of a young aaliyah tim colab. especially wit your equip. i think thats the bigger problem .

if she was on key the whole time i'd bump ya'll shit.
i agree with cross about addin a break bridge or some kinda change up in there but it was icy tho pimp

flossyboy said:
Like what JUG said,

out of key is not off the beat, the note she is singing doesn't fit the notes your melodies are in. Like if the strongest part of the melody is in an "A" key, then you need to sing in an "A" key, not a "B" key because her "B" will be fighting with the "A" and it just doesn't sound good.

That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

Daym...you need to know all them notes to be a songwriter/producer? ...man..i don't even know bout notes and shit... lol

musac said:
if she was on key the whole time i'd bump ya'll shit.
i agree with cross about addin a break bridge or some kinda change up in there but it was icy tho pimp

Is there anyway that could be fix in the studio? don't they have like an autotune or sumthin in the professional studios? Cuz i don't think she could ever be perfect on the beat..

crosstudio said:
what processing are you doing on her voice?

if you aren't processing her voice, then she just plain can't sing and you'd be better off finding someone who can.

unless she looks like Lisa Raye or
Gabrielle Union. in which case, get her a vocal coach.

i like what you are doing with the music and bringing in the melody on the chorus gives the song what you need to keep things interesting, but 4:08 of the same beat with no other changeups??? gotta put a break beat or a bridge in there.

i liked make moves much better then unexpected.

what do you mean by processing her voice?
and yo what if she looks like Ashanti?...lol..should I get a vocal coach?

originally posted by genuwine
what do you mean by processing her voice?

altering her voice(signal) with analog equipment or digital plugins. for example in cubase you can use auto tune, voice machine, and other kinds of plugins to correct the pitch of vocals, but to an extent. you can add reverb, chorus etc..... people like jill scott, missy and alicia keys can sing. people like cher and tweet can't sing, and they need the help of processing, and background singers.

if you want to sell your sister like that, go for it. sex apeal is a great gimmick. missy can sing, but she doesn't look like a beyonce' so she isn't noted for that as much as she is for her raps and production work.

jugalo180 said:
originally posted by genuwine

altering her voice(signal) with analog equipment or digital plugins. for example in cubase you can use auto tune, voice machine, and other kinds of plugins to correct the pitch of vocals, but to an extent. you can add reverb, chorus etc..... people like jill scott, missy and alicia keys can sing. people like cher and tweet can't sing, and they need the help of processing, and background singers.

if you want to sell your sister like that, go for it. sex apeal is a great gimmick. missy can sing, but she doesn't look like a beyonce' so she isn't noted for that as much as she is for her raps and production work.

what's an auto tune? what does it do?

Damn song is stuck in my head!!! i listened to it a while back but never got around to responding.
the beat and chorus is tight

Hi_D_Ho man I'm surprised you understood what she was sayin.

Anyhoo, for those of ya'll who didn't understand what she was sayin before, there I put the lyrics up

Last edited:
Ginuwine said:

If she looks like Ashanti, then you should post pix! :p

Some vocal lessons can't hurt no matter what you look like. You could look like Tyra Banks, but if you can't sing in key (pick one ;) )...

Actually I didn't think the Vox weren't all that bad as a concept, but the inflections where off esp at the end of verses in the chorus ...looeoeoeve ...aboaove ...yooou ...so gooood -all had some erie kinda offness.

The idea someone gave about playin it on the keys and having her try to match it is worth a try too. One other thought on that is maybe if you play a key track of what the vocals should sound like, and run it in the headphones for her while you track, it might help her stay in key. Then you can pull it back out of the mix after. It's harder to stay in key on a track like this where the instrumental tones are so low.

Good work, keep it up.

-J

like i said earlier in the post, i thought she was foreign. she is OFF PITCH, and maybe off beat, i was too distracted by the OFF PITCH singing to notice if she was on beat. if she can't sing on beat or in pitch then you have a lot of work ahead of you my friend. you might want to enter her in MTV's MADE or something, they are known to do miracles.

jugalo180 said:
like i said earlier in the post, i thought she was foreign. she is OFF PITCH, and maybe off beat, i was too distracted by the OFF PITCH singing to notice if she was on beat. if she can't sing on beat or in pitch then you have a lot of work ahead of you my friend. you might want to enter her in MTV's MADE or something, they are known to do miracles.

ookk..lol

just a little humer

i had to put a little humer in there, but seriously, pitch correction is just one method, if you have the loot and time, i would recommend getting her a coach. a choir director from a church can be a cheap option. good luck, and keep us updated on some new material.

Ginuwine said:
Daym...you need to know all them notes to be a songwriter/producer? ...man..i don't even know bout notes and shit... lol

Find a place on ur keyboard with just two black notes together, take the left one - the note directly to the left of that is C, then D, E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A.......... and so on.

The black note to the right of any given note ie. higher up, is a sharp (for example, the black note to the right of C is C#) and if there's a black note to the left of a note that's it's flat (lower ie. the opposite of sharp) - so the black note to the left of D is Db (that 'b' is supposed to be a flat sign, BTW).

Here: this should clear it up, it's not too complicated (took me ages to get it to accept the image)

Attachments

• keys.bmp
    65 KB · Views: 7
Back