Hd24

Personally....

...I wouldn't touch the MX9000 board - I've compared it to the Mackie 8*buss and there's no comparison... you get what you pay for and the Behringer is overpriced!

I haven't tried the the digital board, but if it IS like the MX9000, then you couldn't pay me me to touch it..... I've heard otherwise though from people whose opinions I trust --- apparently, the quality of the digital board is nothing like their analog boards (good thing!) and it may be worthwhile.....

In any case, YMMV.....

Hey There mr blue bear.
Im curious about your comparrison with the Mackie and The MX9000. Did you actually own or mix on both of them? What did you like about the Mackie and not about the MX9000. It would help other people out there in somewhere land looking for a mixer to get a little more details. To be honest with you, I found the eq on the Mackie couldn't come close to the Behringer EQ. The buit in Meter bridge on the MX9000 is also a bonus. The IO structure (B Channel Tape return)on the MX9000 is very flexible. The routing structure for headphone mixes is extremely helpful and the 400 watt rackmount power supply is a must have. The price for a MX9000 is arround $1300.00 U.S. funds at this time. I think if you check, thats about half the price of a Mackie. really I think your'e just paying for the name when you buy a Mackie! well thats just my opinion, and yes iv'e mixed on both and would recomend either board but for the price difference, I bought the MX9000. Let me know what you didnt like about the MX9000!
yours truly
Edthehorse

edthehorse said:
Hey There mr blue bear.
Im curious about your comparrison with the Mackie and The MX9000. Did you actually own or mix on both of them? What did you like about the Mackie and not about the MX9000. It would help other people out there in somewhere land looking for a mixer to get a little more details. To be honest with you, I found the eq on the Mackie couldn't come close to the Behringer EQ. The buit in Meter bridge on the MX9000 is also a bonus. The I\O structure (B Channel Tape return)on the MX9000 is very flexible. The routing structure for headphone mixes is extremely helpful and the 400 watt rackmount power supply is a must have. The price for a MX9000 is arround $1300.00 U.S. funds at this time. I think if you check, thats about half the price of a Mackie. really I think your'e just paying for the name when you buy a Mackie! well thats just my opinion, and yes iv'e mixed on both and would recomend either board but for the price difference, I bought the MX9000. Let me know what you didnt like about the MX9000!
yours truly
Edthehorse

You just gotta' be kiddin', right!!??

Their is absolutely NO WAY you can even remotely compare a Behringer aganst a Mackie!

1st off , the 9000's pres has a max input of +12 dBu which is inferior for mic'ing drums close-up or overheads using hi-sensitive mics. You might get by using low sens mics, but that defeats the purpose of cleanly tracked kit!
The XDR pre's in a Mackie's VLZ PRO max out at +24dBu(or higher) affording one with the opportunity to use hi-sens mics
on ALL tracking situations thereby negating use for lo-sens mics.
Even the original Mackie VLZ's pre's had a higher input than Behringer at +15dBu's.
EQ!!?? Behringers mid-sweeps only offers a boost/cut of -3/+3,
though the specs state a higher figure while Mackie's are -/+6.
Behringer mixers are built with unncessarily Large power transformers producing an overly excessive amount of heat build-upw without the benefit of a truly reliable way of dissipation leading to blow-outs & breakdown of the unit (especially in most of the MX line). Furthermore, certain boards under the MX line aren't even equipped with a simple ON/OFF switch giving the user the only alternative way to shut the d@mn thing off is by pulling the A/C plug from the socket!

Brutha', I could go on further, but I'm tired rite now!

Behringer Mixers Suck (nuthin' personal against present owners)!!

Signed
A former owner! :mad:

I love my HD24. This is the best recorder I've ever owned, very quick and easy to use. It is also MUCH more stable than my old PC/Sonar system. I still use Sound Forge and various plug-ins for editing individual tracks; the Network connection is great. I mix on an MCI JH416.

I love my HD24. This is the best recorder I've ever owned, very quick and easy to use. It is also MUCH more stable than my old PC/Sonar system. I still use Sound Forge and various plug-ins for editing individual tracks; the Network connection is great. I mix on an MCI JH416.

HD24 editing and mic pres

How is editing on the HD24? You know?...like inserting the first chorus in the second chorus because it came out better and such...It looks pretty cool and easy on the DPS24 with aksys and the analog tape type scrubbing...but I think I might still like a stand alone recorder.

Does anybody have any experience with comparing the mic pres on the Akai DPS24, the Berhinger ddx3216 and the Tascam DM24?
I played with the DM24 for a few miutes...I worked on a lot of Neves and Tridents and for once I was impressed by the Tascam DM24. Its definatley NOT the Tascams of Yesteryear!
Feedback Please!
Thanks, Calkaren

I like this forum. You guys all seem to comment with conviction!
Thanks!

edthehorse said:
Let me know what you didnt like about the MX9000!
The sound of the pres, the sound of the EQ, the more obvious noise floor...... and the cheap feel of the faders/knobs and the overall construction..........

At the time, when I was comparing the 2 (for purchase consideration) - the MX9000 had just come out - the Mackie was well worth the additional cost..........

Re: HD24 editing and mic pres

calkaren said:
How is editing on the HD24? You know?...like inserting the first chorus in the second chorus because it came out better and such...It looks pretty cool and easy on the DPS24 with aksys and the analog tape type scrubbing...but I think I might still like a stand alone recorder.

I really do not use the editing features in the HD24 since I rely on the network connection and software on my PC. So with that in mind, it is just like a stand alone recorder.

I have an HD24/DM24 combo. IMHO, if you need a computer editor and don't yet own a computer. You might want to check into the Tascam unit or the Mackie HDR 2496.

If, on the other hand, all you want is a RECORDER, pretty much bullitproof and with a proven track record, and you have a computer that you can use for editing, then I say the HD24 is your baby.

Now on with the Tascam DM-24.

Think about this if you have'nt previously. What do you get with a Mackie D8B. I/O? How about 12 XLR with mic pres, how does that sound? Pretty good for what, $11,000.00? You can monitor 24 tracks simultaneus yes, but no room for external effects. So, you can take full advantage of the HD24's 24 tracks minus the aforementioned effects.

Here enters the DM24...ehem...two, I say 2 DM24's actually. Cascaded with 2 optional cascade cards. You can record and monitor all 24 tracks plus have 8 channels left over to use as effects returns. You also get as a bonus, 32 XLR inputs blah blah blah with mic pres. Here is the scary part, I walked out of my local gear shop with my DM-24 single unit for $2099.00. So that would be $4198.00 according to my antiquated math. Add to that the price of the HD24 and you can figure out the rest.

Advantage, you can buy one DM-24, pretty much use the HD24 as a 16 track as I do in my configuration (I only have one DM-24 currently) while actually having less tracks in reality (I use 4 channels as effects returns leaving me with 12). Buying another DM-24 down the road gives me full power Scotty with a little breathing room to spare. I love I/O. :D :D :D

limited

I've been using my HD 24 for two months. It is pretty much idiot proof. I've got two boards and have used it with both. I've got a Mackie 24x8 buss that is easy to use and sounds good but I like the mic pre's on my large format Soundcraft 40x8 better. The HD24 works well for live remote type stuff and has a ton of headroom to handle signals. I'm just hoping that they ship the firewire option soon.

Question for "Limited"

Limited, Wow! A DM-24 for $2099. Thats a great price. Can you tell me where? I would definatley go for it at that price. Everything else you said makes sense. However, "Tascam Unit"?
Is that another Digi-Recorder. I do have a computer. Can I take files from the Alesis HD 24 (are they .wav files?) and transfer them to the computer to sound forge or Sonar, etc and edit and eq and etc and send it back to the HD 24 and know that its in sync. Is there any visual for the HD 24.
I REALLY appreciate any info you can provide because Ive been considering the exact "combo" your using. After evaluating "stand alone" DAWs and Pro-Tools(with too few inputs) The HD24/DM24 combo seems most versatile and expandable for my needs recording whole bands.
What type of applications do you use yours for?
Once again, I do appreciate the feedback as it does take time away from other things you might be doing...like your music! lol
This is a big move for me, so thnking you in advance,
Calkaren

Ok calkaren, if you have an e-mail I will mail you the name of the place I purchased it from. Some folks don't like that kind of info posted here.

The Tascam unit is the MX-2424.

The files are .wav and you can send them along to your computer via built in ethernet port on the HD24 or soon be able to use the firewire option as steve said above.

As far as your files being in sync goes, all you have to do to be sure is not to change the length of the original files.

A visual? Go to Alesis web site;

http://alesis.com/

Tascams website;

http://www.tascam.com/products/digital_mixers/dm24/index.php

One more thing, I assume you know that you need a mix down deck of some sort unless your doing that with your comuter. You can also use two spare tracks on the HD24 if need be.

:D :D :D

limited

I owned two ancient black faced ADAT's for ages and they were on their last legs when I got them. So finally I bit-the-bullet and splashed out the cash for an HD24.

Went from having several major problems per session (with the old overused under serviced ADAT's) to no problems at all. No once since I bought the thing has it ever gone wrong.

The only thing is - now I don't have to wait for it to rewind, sessions are much shorter, therefore less cash if the client is paying hourly!!!

No seriously though. Good machine, I recomend it.

I'm about to try bridging mine to my G4 via a MOTU 2408.

DM24 at a better price

If you still have a Mars music around your area (which you might not) they blew out DM-24s for 1699 during their going out of business stuff. I picked one up then :)

They could still have them, I suppose. Though I am not sure if Mars still exists or if they have officially closed their doors. If they have, check ebay.

--MIKE

consider this....hd-24....comes complete with i/o...can be used @96 but only for 12 tracks...for the price of ONE mackie hdr-24 with the proper i/o you can have 2 hd-24's and they use standard ide harddrives...you can get em at any computer store...the caddys are a different story...they have finally started to catch up with the demand...i bought four extras with my hd-24...i've logged countless hours in the 8 months ive had mine...no problems....i use it as a stand alone recorder...i do have the ethernet hooked up to my computer and will on occasion drop a track into it for repair...no problem...the adat based technology is still viable....and it records its files in both .wav and splf for mac and pc users....i mix on a soundcraft ghost 32 and couldnt be happier...i tried the tascam mx2424..great machine...large learning curve....mostly made for the film industry....the mackie....total proprietary coding and you can only use their harddrives....and they dont come with any i/o....for ease of use, simplicity,reliability,sound quality...hd-24.....and if any of you yahoos are from alesis and reading this...WHERES the FIREWIRE

i also wanted to add, that when using you hd-24 to download into another computer for editing or whatnot, the hd-24 becomes a server for this purpose and its really hard to screw it up using it the way they built it....

Back