Hd24

Yep. Love it. Had it about 8 months. No problems at all. I should add that I also have it clocked externally with a Lucid GenX6 which improves converter performance a bit. I think it sounds VERY good.

I got one..It works great no problems..And the media{Harddrives} is pretty cheap for the amount of time you get across 24 tracks..

Don

Mixing Boards

Thanks for the info. What kind of mixing boards do you have. Do you know anything about the Behringer?

I use a StudioMaster with mine. As far as Behringer is concerned, I like their compressors but I don't think much of their mixers. I'll be changing consoles soon myself. I'm thinking of either a new Soundcraft Ghost or maybe a used console (a Harrison would be nice).

hardrive

Wow! a Harrison! Classic! Does the HD24 come with a hard drive or do you have to buy it additionally?
Thanks, calkaren

How much time

How much recording time at 24bit 48k does a 10 hard drive give you and waht is the caddie?
TY

Most accounts of the ddx are pretty positive. They say if you looking between the 01V and the DDX, get the DDX. I recently got a Tascam DM-24 and am loving it, though it is a bit more money. I do like that the DDX has a meter bridge onboard though. It is a cool unit, at least from what I have done with it. I don't know much about the FX or preamps though...

--MIKE

Yeah, the HD24 is a sweet baby, AND it comes with a 20GB drive these days. I use a Mackie 1604 vlz pro for tracking and monitoring. Editing and mixing is done in Cool Edit Pro 2.
I sure wish I had the money to hardware mixing, but for now software mixing is cost efficient and saves a lot of space.

Cool Edit Pro

Thanks Meshug! The Mackie is a cool board. Mixes probably would soundgood trough that as well. I have a 21 day trial version of Cool Edit Pro that a band Im working gave me. I havent installed it yet but I did work with it on their computer. I noticed it had 3 band eq. Is there any 4 band eq with cool edit pro? I thought it was pretty cool! Have you had any excperience with "Sonar"
TY, Calkaren

Hey Meshuggah. Did you ever finish your patch cord system for using inserts as direct outs and ins for monitoring? If so, how did it work out. Seems very good in principal. I was considering doing something similar but adding a patch panel on the way to the recorder for inserting some compression occaisionlly.

I love the hd-24. I use the Mackie SR-24 board. It's (mackie) really for live sound, but it works for my applications- and was cost effective.
titan

Make sure that when you buy your HD24 to give it a good burn in period, lets say about 3 days of solid use to make sure it is going to perform properly. I got screwed because I only tried it once then put it away for a few months until I really needed it. Found the thing didnt work. Its been in repair shop for 6 weeks now. They cant find the solution to the problem. *** as far as mixers go, the Behringer MX9000 blows away its Mackie counterpart in my opinion. The price for the MX9000 is less than 12 as a Mackie and it outperforms it. Even has a built in meterbridge. The eq's are absolutely awsome. Ive owned Mackies, Soundcrafts and studio master boards, even had a few of those old ugly Peavy mixers and found this MX9000 is right up there in quality. Behringer has knocked the socks off the traditional companies with the price that consumers can now afford. I say boycot the tradiional comanies until they smarten up and lower their prices so that you and I can afford to own them. I hear the Alesis HD24 is great. Hope to get mine back someday so I can actually find out. If I were you I would go to a local music store that carries behringwer and try it out for size. I was impressed and so are alot of others I know. Unless your rich and can afford a Soundcraft ghost, I would suggest the behringer MX9000.
Happy trails and good luck

If you don't want a digital board, I second that 9000 talked about above. It is a great board and IMO beats the mackies.

flatrockrecordin said:
Hey Meshuggah. Did you ever finish your patch cord system for using inserts as direct outs and ins for monitoring? If so, how did it work out. Seems very good in principal. I was considering doing something similar but adding a patch panel on the way to the recorder for inserting some compression occaisionlly.

Hi..

I haven't bought more insert cords yet, but the "system" works. Just like you plan I'll buy patchbay too, only I have other economical priorities right now :)

...and Bruce... Looks like it's time to upgrade your console.... :rolleyes:

OOPS! About that digital mixer ?

About that gentleman asking about the Behringer digital board. I kinda messed up and gave you my input on the analouge MX9000. I haven't owned the behringer digital mixer, but if it is anything like their analouge boards, you can rest assured a great item at a great price. Digital boards in my opinion are only good for keeping your work in the digital domain ie:( easy file transfers etc...) and as far as sound quality, the recording made in the digital domain sounds jsut as good mixed through a decent analouge mixer. in fact 24 bit from a hard drive sounds incerediblely clear coming back through the ana mixer. My ears can only detect som much digital and then mush sets in. i guess its a subjective thing. Whatever turns your crank. Some engineers deal only in the HYPE domain (if you know what I mean) and really would never admit they cant hear the difference at the tail end of a 24 bit recording played back by digital or analouge mixer. As I said in my opinion, a digital mixer is a more convenient way of moving things in and out of your puter, but their are more inexpensive ways of doing that! Anybody else agree?
Edthehorse In Igloo Land

Back