Having a bunch of guitar speaker cabinets in my mix/recording room is bad, right?

cmorris975

I'm just guessing this would not be good. The speaker cone would reflect sound as well as the cabinet sides, correct? They would all be together in a "wall" of sorts.

Thanks for your thought,

Chris "The Mix Noob" Morris

I don't think they are going to be as much of an issue as maybe you think. Generally, objects in a room tend to help by creating irregular shapes and angles throughout the room to help break up reflections from the flat walls. Unless you are noticing some resonance from the equipment, I wouldn't sweat it. What is an actual problem, and I've personally noticed it, it guitars hanging on the wall. I have noticed that acoustics hanging on my wall tend to ring out loud when playing other instruments. Thus spare guitars are not kept in my room when I'm trying to record something.

The more I think of it, the more I want to believe that the speaker cones would be the least of your worries. I recall seeing ways to reverse speakers to make them microphones of sorts, by putting sound through the speaker cone and activating the drivers in backwards sort of manner. This leads me to hypothesize that the speaker cones would actually help absorb certain frequencies...:confused:

The more I think of it, the more I want to believe that the speaker cones would be the least of your worries. I recall seeing ways to reverse speakers to make them microphones of sorts, by putting sound through the speaker cone and activating the drivers in backwards sort of manner. This leads me to hypothesize that the speaker cones would actually help absorb certain frequencies...:confused:

Ok pegger, thanks for the responses. I'll feel better about piling all my amps and speaker cabs in my mixing room :).

Guitars and cabs not good in your recording room....???? :laughings:

I've got two walls full of hanging guitars, amps/cabs across another wall....all sounds great.
Drums are in there too.

If your unused acoustics resonate, take a piece of foam and slip it between the strings and the body. If you have drums you are not playing, dampen the heads/cymbals with a towel or something, or just cover them with a blanket.

Otherwise, those things are not going to have any significant negative effect. I would rather have those things in the room, than have an empty room with bare walls.

You guys are WAY over-thinking this stuff. :facepalm: :D

Breaking up the regular shape of the room helps a lot.
Damping anything that resonates is important.
Personally all but 1 of my guitars is in a case for their protection, (smallish space + clumsy me), the one not away is the "go to" machine and being a solid body electric doesn't resonate in a way that is audible to me of the recording equipment.

And don't forget to slack your snare! That buzzing tone when you're recording a bass can be really cool in the mix :facepalm: or not...

Yeah! I we did not have 5 speaker cabs in the room we would not have any speakers! (they were "tonal" options for son but he had fixed on just one cab loaded with a Greenback. But what to do with the rest? I am donating a 15" 6cu ft bass cab to a local jam club WHEN I can get at it!

Yes the cabs act as diffusers. The cones hardly figure since guitar speaker cones are not very soundproof/reflective.

The thing you do NOT want in a recording room is a piano!

Dave.

Why not just place a brick or something heavy on the pedal that dampens the strings?

Because that pedal does the opposite of what you're thinking, lifts the dampers when pressed to allow all notes to sustain. Pianos are damped unless a key is held or the damper pedal is pressed.

I'm no pianist by any means, but the last time I "played" a piano (and any other time) as I recall, there is a sustain pedal AND a damper pedal. I think it is called the "practice" pedal or something?

The damper pedal is the sustain pedal. It raises the dampers so the notes sustain. That is the pedal on the right.
The pedal on the left is the soft pedal, which moves the mechanism so the hammer only hits one of the three strings.
The middle pedal un-damps any notes that you happen to be holding when you press it. So if you were holding down a C chord and hit that pedal, you could play anything else over the ringing C chord, until you left off the pedal.

So no, there is no pedal that stops the strings.

As mentioned by someone else earlier the only thing i worry about is drums.... specifically the snare

Now that's an explanation if I've ever heard one! Lol. I never knew about what the hell that third pedal ever did. Haha thanks for clearing that up!

So I guess you'd just toss something in there lying over the strings like a towel or moving blankets. But that's not even the OP's question so of course I digress! :)

Mmmmmm....actually, when you DON'T step on the pedals....they stop the strings. ;)
Yes, but they don't stop the strings from ringing sympathetically in a room with a drum set, like he is thinking. There is still a lot of ring, even when they are damped normally. And no, you don't step on any of the pedals to dampen the strings.

Back