Haven't been here for a long time. Cinema Paradiso

sloop

Our local Park Band with Josh Facello on Violin. Simple setup, 3 microphones. 2 mics on the band (x/y Stereo), a vocal mic for the violin, recorded live on stage. Just sharing with the group. I hope to have more time to spend here.

Attachments

• Cinema Paradiso.mp3
    5.7 MB
I rather liked that. Did you take any pictures? what makes me think is you've captured not just what was played, but the era somehow? Was this something you planned? Also - how did you get the 'vintage' sound? Was it based around the real sound of the violin? As in, does it actually sound 'old' or is that something your setup did?

I rather liked that. Did you take any pictures? what makes me think is you've captured not just what was played, but the era somehow? Was this something you planned? Also - how did you get the 'vintage' sound? Was it based around the real sound of the violin? As in, does it actually sound 'old' or is that something your setup did?
Setup was quite simple. Audio Technica 2020 microphones in a stereo XY, and a KAM MC3 with a vocal head for the violin. Post recording, A little multiband compression, some light eq. a little mastering with a touch of audio exciter and reverb. I rather like the final product. It might be able to use a little more on the low end, but for now, I think I am leaving it alone.

But how did you get the the old fashioned violin sound - that's what was very obvious? Something you did in the production or was the ensemble just old sounding? I've done some 1930s teas orchestra stuff with a singer and they all played instruments of the period and together it was very Noel Coward sounding.

I thought it sounded really great, nothing like the stuff I record so don't feel qualified to offer any feedback other then I enjoyed the listen. IT easily set my mind to wandering (in a good way) while listening on headphones.

You were correct, Jeff, adding the low end. The second file is an improvement over the first. Nice performance, and solid recording.

Nice recording! I enjoyed that! I listened to both versions and thought the second one had the best sound quality. The balance seems to tilt a little too much toward the higher frequencies commencing around time index 1:31, but I am far from an expert. Hopefully you post additional songs. I like the genre. :-)
Joseph

But how did you get the the old fashioned violin sound - that's what was very obvious? Something you did in the production or was the ensemble just old sounding? I've done some 1930s teas orchestra stuff with a singer and they all played instruments of the period and together it was very Noel Coward sounding.
Honestly, probably the microphone I used. There was a little post processing, some multiband compression, a little EQ. The vocal mic used on the violin has a sound I truly enjoy. I have used it on vocals, a student opera singer and a few others. I like the sound of it on stringed instruments.

Back