have signal in protools but cant hear anything

lurek100

hi
have problem with protools.

I have signal in the track (can see the levels in the mixer when speak to the mic) but cant hear anything. if I play midi its working fine.
tried input monitoring.
recently I plugged in to my motu ada8000 but even when is unplugged still the same.

anyone have idea?

if I open old session everything works fine. only when I make new session or recent there is silence.

If you can see the meters moving in Protools, then you should be able to hear the sound if your output routing is correct.

Check the track and master outputs in a working session and make sure they are the same in the new session.

As BSG said, you might need to check the I/O in the settings tab, if your usual outputs aren't showing as available.
Protools likes to forget what I/O your interface has and sometimes a delete all + click default is the answer (in the I/O output tab from settings menu.).

Look at your output assignments on tracks, or possibly in the I/O settings.

In the working old session I\O out is set to analog 1-2 but the new one were its not working it was set to build in out. thats was only the name which I already changed to analog 1-2. in that outputs diagram its looks like
outputs are set to analog 1-2.

Im using motu 828mk3 and have chained to ada8000 which is at the moment switched off.

In the working old session I\O out is set to analog 1-2 but the new one were its not working it was set to build in out. thats was only the name which I already changed to analog 1-2. in that outputs diagram its looks like
outputs are set to analog 1-2.

Im using motu 828mk3 and have chained to ada8000 which is at the moment switched off.

Built-in out shouldn't be available unless you're using an aggregate device on OSX, containing the motu and built in audio.
There's no real need to do that and it only adds to confusion so I'd recommend going to 'Setup > Playback Devices' and just selecting the Motu interface directly.

If necessary then go into 'Setup > I/O', output tab, select all paths and delete them. Once done, click defaults and exit out.

Don't worry about the ada8000. It's irrelevant unless you've plugged your speakers into it for some reason.
Once the motu is recognised, the ada8000 paths will be recognised as 'adat out 1+2', 'adat out 3+4' etc whether it's on or off.

PS: I plug the speakers into analog out 1+2 for main audio output unless you've some particular reason.(dedicated headphone mix?)
If not, plug them into 'main outputs'. That's what they're for. ;)
They have a dedicated volume control and are mirrored on the headphone output.

You'll still hear audio even if the master's output isn't set correctly.
You just wont hear your master effects chain.

It's a separate issue but to see the master meters move and hear the master effects, set it's output to wherever your speakers are. IE. The same as your individual track outputs.

I'm pretty sure the answer is in post 7.

thanks for your help.

unfortunatelly I did everything like you said and nothing changed. I default them all , busses , outs , ins. Its looks like it dosnt really reset them properly. the names stays like I named them etc.

Im using analog 12 cos I had problem on the beggining with setting up properlly. it worked like that so I left it till today.

thanks for your help.

unfortunatelly I did everything like you said and nothing changed. I default them all , busses , outs , ins. Its looks like it dosnt really reset them properly. the names stays like I named them etc.

I guess you didn't delete the paths first then....

Failing that, click 'Options > Low latency monitoring'

finally figured out :-)

In Cue mix (mixer form motu) master was set to main instead of analog 1-2 . I dont know how this got changed cos havent been use cuemix for ages.

Thank you very much to all off you to support me in this time of need :-)

Ok, you've sorta half fixed it.
Relying on cuemix for monitoring means it's direct with no latency, but you also wont hear any real time effects.

That might be what you want, and that's fine, but the way I've described will let you hear real time effects.
If you go that road you'd just pull down all the faders in cuemix and forget about it.

If you do want to set it up that way, the low latency monitoring toggle should sort things out for you.

I pretty much never use cuemix. It just complicates matters in my opinion....I know, I know, sounds ironic in this context.

crap.... you right.
hoped is done.
I have done all you said. in playback engine is set to motu. I defoult all I/O s . nothing works

Failing that, click 'Options > Low latency monitoring'

Steenamaroo - from now on you are my Master :-) Hero . that was that f.... low latency monitoring ticked on.

so many hours I spent to figure it out. and so manny you save.. THANKS a LOT !!!! :-)

I have your fix!

thanks for your help.

Im using analog 12 cos I had problem on the beggining with setting up properlly. it worked like that so I left it till today.

I've been recording music with a computer for the last 15 years and never have run into this problem until today. I looked in forums which was no help so I helped myself. Here is your answer!

After you have recorded your track it will not playback if it is armed. Simply unarm the track and what you recorded will play. I do not know what setting causes this nor did I do anything to change this setting. Hope this helps!

Cheers! ReverieDigitalProductions

Back