Have a Cigar Cover

saads

Baka
Here's a cover of Have a Cigar by Pink Floyd. It's more of a cover of the Foo Fighter's version though. Do the vocals sound really bad? And more importantly, any suggestions for improvement? Thanks.

Attachments

• Have a Cigar Cover.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
I'm a Floyd guy myself. The tune feels a little loose. The vocal ain't horrible but it's a little picthy in spots. Not too bad overall.

There's too much mid range generally. The snare sounds like it's been dampened and the guitars aren't present enough. Kick's a bit boomy, not very tight and crisp.
Try dropping something around 800Hz, across everything.

Thanks for taking out time to listen and help.

Copy the impact, copy the intensity of the vocal.
YouTube - Foo Fighters - Have A Cigar

I love the Foo Fighters, but prefer the Pink Floyd version.

I'm a huge fan of both, Pink Floyd and Foo Fighters. Any specific areas that could be better?

I'm a Floyd guy myself. The tune feels a little loose. The vocal ain't horrible but it's a little picthy in spots. Not too bad overall.

What seems loose? I played everything to a metronome, not sure why it sounds loose. Is it the guitars?

The bass is way too loud for me... either that or everything else is too low.

Bring bass down, got it.

There's too much mid range generally. The snare sounds like it's been dampened and the guitars aren't present enough. Kick's a bit boomy, not very tight and crisp.
Try dropping something around 800Hz, across everything.

The snare wasn't dampened, maybe it sounds that way because of the eq?
How would you change the kick sound? Thanks for the input!

I like the tone of the tune..I dont know it so its fresh to me..

the drums are the area that need the most attention...I could hear everything else working much better with bigger drums..

I think the snare need some boost around the 6-8khz to give is presence, also look at cutting it a little in the mf's maybe around 200-250, if you have a bottom mike option also maybe try giving the rattle a little boost in volume

The kick is a little boomy, look at giving it a peak around 80 - 100ish..just scan and see what gives it a better thump..at the moment its all boom at the bottom end..maybe pass a little of it away before 80Hz??

The vocals are a little pitchy...but thats what we're born with so they dont really bother me..the drums you can fix

Sorry I should have made myself clearer. I think all those things I mentioned are because of there being too much low-mid. That's why I suggested the 800Hz reduction on everything.

I like the tone of the tune..I dont know it so its fresh to me..

the drums are the area that need the most attention...I could hear everything else working much better with bigger drums..

I think the snare need some boost around the 6-8khz to give is presence, also look at cutting it a little in the mf's maybe around 200-250, if you have a bottom mike option also maybe try giving the rattle a little boost in volume

The kick is a little boomy, look at giving it a peak around 80 - 100ish..just scan and see what gives it a better thump..at the moment its all boom at the bottom end..maybe pass a little of it away before 80Hz??

The vocals are a little pitchy...but thats what we're born with so they dont really bother me..the drums you can fix

Thanks kc, I guess I stopped focusing on the kick when I realized it wasn't clashing with the bass. Now that you guys mention it, I totally get it.
I don't have a bottom mic option for the snare. I tune it right, and it sounds alright live too, but I need to learn to mic and eq it properly I guess.

Btw got the link you posted, just downloaded assassin's flute. Looking forward to the new stuff :drunk:

Sorry I should have made myself clearer. I think all those things I mentioned are because of there being too much low-mid. That's why I suggested the 800Hz reduction on everything.

I went to the master eq and pulled it down at 800 a little bit. (Is that what you meant?) The guitars sound really different, in a good way. I'm trying to redo the vocals, i'll put up the new mix as soon as I can. Thanks for your help!

2nd attempt

Hey guys, this is the second mix. I brought the bass down, tried giving the snare a little more sizzle, and cut out a little around 800hz from everything. Also added a little bit of reverb. Feedback much appreciated :)

Attachments

• Have a Cigar Cover 2.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
As I said previously..."copy the intensity of the vocal". I can barely hear the vocal, and what I can hear sounds bored. It's a bit hard to get beyond that. But aside from the vocal being much worse/quieter ... it is a better instrumental mix.

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of either band in this case (not that anyone cares - just had to throw that in there), but I am certainly very familiar with this tune. I like the arrangement a lot. Don't know if that is borrowed entirely from the foo fighters, but I think this tune really works better for me as a more rocking upbeat number.

As for the mix, the first one was really muddy and muffled and not to my liking. This one is much better in terms of the instruments, but the vocals are almost entirely absent (?).

Despite the improvement, there are really two prominent forces in this mix - the boomy kick and the sizzling guitars. IMHO, everything else in the track is fighting with those two things. I walked away mid tune to get a beer from the fridge not 20 feet away and all I could hear was the thud of the kick and the scratch of the guitar sounds.

Maybe just me (and remember, I really like the idea of what you're doing with this) but I think you have a ways to go to achieve the proper balance of sounds here. And bring the vocals way up! :)

As I said previously..."copy the intensity of the vocal". I can barely hear the vocal, and what I can hear sounds bored. It's a bit hard to get beyond that. But aside from the vocal being much worse/quieter ... it is a better instrumental mix.

I only started trying to sing very recently. I can't sing, I know that, and singing in tune with intensity is something I just can't do at this stage :o
Thanks for listening

Not a huge fan of either band in this case (not that anyone cares - just had to throw that in there), but I am certainly very familiar with this tune. I like the arrangement a lot. Don't know if that is borrowed entirely from the foo fighters, but I think this tune really works better for me as a more rocking upbeat number.

As for the mix, the first one was really muddy and muffled and not to my liking. This one is much better in terms of the instruments, but the vocals are almost entirely absent (?).

Despite the improvement, there are really two prominent forces in this mix - the boomy kick and the sizzling guitars. IMHO, everything else in the track is fighting with those two things. I walked away mid tune to get a beer from the fridge not 20 feet away and all I could hear was the thud of the kick and the scratch of the guitar sounds.

Maybe just me (and remember, I really like the idea of what you're doing with this) but I think you have a ways to go to achieve the proper balance of sounds here. And bring the vocals way up! :)

Thanks for listening. A lot of it is borrowed, but I did plenty of my own stuff in there too. In the last mix people said the guitars didn't have enough presence, so I compressed them and brought em up, trying to give them a 'in your face feel' but I guess that's not working out too good. Should I lower the volume? And I'll bring down the kick. Is it still too boomy or just too loud? As for vocals, I brought them down so I could focus on the other instruments during mixing, and I forgot to bring them up again before rendering.

Everyone above has said it already.

I think the playing is competent, the arrangement is interesting. I don't hear the looseness. There was a bit of pitchyness in the vocals, but that didn't worry me particularly.

I haven't listened to the newer version, but the bass on the first was too loud for my taste, and the drums were lacking bite.

Is that you singing? Are you unsure about your voice? It sounds like you are very inhibited in your singing, then trying to cover it up. I reckon more energy in the vocals would lift the song dramatically.

Good job covering this challenging tune. It isn't perfect; all the issues have been pointed out to you. Despite all of that, I am impressed that you undertook the song to begin with.

Nice work.

Everyone above has said it already.

I think the playing is competent, the arrangement is interesting. I don't hear the looseness. There was a bit of pitchyness in the vocals, but that didn't worry me particularly.

I haven't listened to the newer version, but the bass on the first was too loud for my taste, and the drums were lacking bite.

Is that you singing? Are you unsure about your voice? It sounds like you are very inhibited in your singing, then trying to cover it up. I reckon more energy in the vocals would lift the song dramatically.

Haha, you hit the nail on the head Gecko. I just started trying to sing recently, and I would definitely say I'm unsure about my voice right now. I'll try doing it again with more energy. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Good job covering this challenging tune. It isn't perfect; all the issues have been pointed out to you. Despite all of that, I am impressed that you undertook the song to begin with.

Nice work.

Thanks man, appreciate it! I love playing drums, and the only reason I wanted to do this song was because the drums in this song are so fun to play. I'm going to have another go at vocals, and will try to fix the bass and guitars. Hopefully I'll do at least some justice to the song :D

Back