Harrison Mixbus DAW software on sale...you should check it out.

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Hey everybody, first-time poster to this particular forum but been around these parts for awhile...just wanted to share there are screamin’ deals on DAW software by Harrison...free demo available, and the software, called Mixbus, is on sale for only $29USD. I just plunked down my money for the “32C” version of Mixbus (which is almost the same as the $29 base version). I just wanted to post here about the sale. Haven’t heard of Harrison? They’ve been around for many a decade and are responsible for designing and building some of the most highly regarded analog and digital consoles amount other stuff...boutique stuff. If you get on eBay you’ll hardly find anything Harrison on there likely because people don’t let their Harrison gear go. That’s a guess on my part. I’ve used Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Reason and n-Track. Mixbus sounds incredible to my ears...I was kind of shocked actually...and I really like the interface...I’m an “analog” guy so Mixbus and it’s workflow, designed around the Harrison 32C console, really fits for me. Might not for you. But it really does sound great. I’m not receiving any kick-back for this post...nobody asked me to generate this post...I’m just excited about my new DAW software, would have paid a lot more than I did for it, and thought letting folks here know about the sale might help somebody on a budget out since the prices are pretty unreal. Anyway...

Look here:

Harrison Mixbus Black Friday Deals

I've been keeping an eye on the Harrison Mixbus DAW since it firest came out, mainly because they focused on making the workflow feel and the sound as "analog" as possible.
If I didn't have a solid DAW already, it would be worth a hard look...might even be worth it as a backup option, considering that these days, software companies can just vanish overnight (look at Cakewalk).

The big question for me would be how well does it deal with 3rd party plugins, does it run at 64 bit, and does it have any VSTi support, with some kind of basic MIDI editing at least...?
I already have TONS of plugins, so I wouldn't want to buy into the complete MIxbus package, rather just the 32C...but I'm also using virtual instruments more, especially for drums, so I wouldn't want to have to change all that up.

I'll have to go check out the specs now... :)

OK...they answer some of my questions in their promo video.

I also saw this Mixbus VS Reaper shootout that was interesting. I thought the Mixbus mixes sounded better...more clearer, and bigger. Every time the Reaper mix kicked in, the mix seamed to get small and uninteresting.

That was my experience when I did some test tracking...instant big, easy to get good sounds...just fun to work with.

And yes plugin support for VST, AU and LV2 (Harrison’s proprietary format), and the MIDI editor is more than basic. It’s a comprehensive full-featured DAW...there are caveats to the plugin support though, like if you are using the MacOS version and your OS is 64-bit, 32-bit VST plug-ins are not supported. So check the details first and contact them with any questions you don’t see addressed in their videos or on the user forum. The YouTube videos are really helpful. A lot of them were made with Version 3 and they’re now on Version 4 which had a lot of significant changes. Anyway...free demo. I really encourage anybody to check it out that might be interested.

I run all 64-bit OS and plugs...VST2...so it sounds like that should be fine with Mixbus.
The only other key thing I can think of would be the SMPTE sync options...I need the basic stuff so I can drive my Microlynx and tape deck.

TBH...I've had some concerns with my DAW, Samplitude ProX...and how long will Magix keep going with it.
They pushed out a new version not too long ago...but there just doesn't seem to be a real big effort from their dev team lately, not to mention Magix acquired all the Vegas and Sonic Foundry stuff from Sony not too long ago, so there's always that point with new acquisitions, where a company reevaluates their product line and looks at what's profitable and what maybe needs to go....kinda like what Gibson just did with Cakewalk.
For Magix, on the audio side, Sequoia is their flagship, but their target audience is not the typical project studio guy. Now Samplitude ProX is like the younger brother of Sequoia...pretty much has most of the same features, so not shabby at all...but they just don't promote it like you see with other DAW apps out there. So the user base is mostly made up of longtime vets.
Just not sure how long they will survive with that...so yeah, might be good to have a ready-to-go option on the shelf. :)

Yup. A whole host of sync functions...but to MTC. Which is fine right? Because most SMPTE sync boxes are communicating with the DAW using MTC?

Here’s the sync section of the Mixbus 32C manual:

Clocks & Synchronization - Mixbus 32C v4 - 1

And here are the Mixbus and Mixbus 32C manuals:

About This Manual (online version and PDF download) - Mixbus v4 - 1

About This Manual (online version and PDF download) - Mixbus 32C v4 - 1

And here is their FAQ page with a bunch of links to YouTube vids too:

Harrison Consoles: Mixbus

Ah...cool...missed that. My eyes skipped right over it because they were looking for SMPTE and the paragraph started with LTC. :o

Should work well with the MicroLynx! :guitar:

Back