Hardware EQ for Mastering/Mixdown

Matt C.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive (can be used, looking to spend under, say, $400) rack EQ unit that is good for mixdown/rough mastering (this is for a basement project studio, not a professional mastering facility). I always figured it would be best to get a 5 band parametric EQ, but i read somewhere on here that big 31-band graphic EQs are better for this kind of work. is there a serious difference or is it just a matter of personal interface preference? either way, can anyone recommend any specific models i should look for? thanks

Ask yourself the question - How many graphic EQ's do you see in recording studios?

When you answer yourself (there are four, and they're all used for sidechaining compressors), you know which way to go.

Look for black-faced Orban 642B's. You can get them for under $500 in many cases.

I don't know where you would have read that graphic eq's are better for mixdown/mastering.

Your first thought about a five band parametric is good. That category would also include in my opinion, three or four band eq's with high and low cut.

In addition to the Orban 642B mentioned above, you might be able to find a used Klark Teknik DN 410 for around that money. Massive likes the black faced 642B's, but I had a blue faced 642B and it sounded pretty good.

Ideally, the eq you get will allow you to switch each band in and out individually.

Back