Hands-free microphone for on-road use

micenaky

Hi, I'm a writer who uses a microphone while commuting to record the words I need to set down and transcribe later. I have a Sony ICD-AX412 recorder, which produces great quality voice recordings, even over the road noise, but it doesn't do so well when it's situated on the dashboard or in my shirt pocket, which are my only options other than holding the thing. So unless I can get a funky neckband or something which holds the recorder pointing at my mouth, I really think I need to buy an over-the-ear microphone, probably one that plugs into the Sony recorder for storage. But I don't want a pair of headphones to go with it; my ears need to stay uncovered so I can hear people honking at me.

I'm also an amateur voice actor, so I do care about the quality of the recording on principle, even if it's only used to specify which words to transcribe. I want it to sound good when played back, even over the road noise.

Options on Amazon and such seem limited. I guess it's a given that it will be mono, though. What do you guys recommend? Or can you think of some kind of holder/jib apparatus that will allow me to suspend the existing Sony recorder in midair or attached to my body in such a way that it'll be within half a foot of my mouth and point in the right direction?

Thanks, I'll look into this. Would something like the ATR-3350 also work with this recorder (ICD-AX412)? I've tried looking this up but can't seem to get any hits on people using them together.

Also, will lav mics generally will sound worse than the default recording quality of the ICD-AX412?

Your recorder has a socket for microphone input, so I would suggest looking at a headworn microphone.
Search Amazon for Headworn Microphone... Pyle makes some very inexpensive models with either a single earloop or two earloops, and they have surprisingly good sound for vocals.
Most have a mono output, so you might want to use a mono to stereo adapter to record the mono signal onto both stereo channels.

Last edited:
Welcome Micenaky ...But!

Your are driving along but your "head" is in another place talking into a recorder?!!!
If you are UK resident please furnish me with car type, colour and license plate number so that I can see you coming!

I believe even hands-free phones to be a bloody dangerous and unnecessary distraction.

Dave.

AlanZ42: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out. Apparently some people have had trouble hooking up the mono inputs to stereo recorders though.

Dave: I definitely see what you mean, but from my perspective it's basically the same as talking to a mute passenger. People probably shouldn't do that either, but I think it's considerably safer than using a phone, which means a two-way conversation that you have to strain to understand etc. I'm always focused on the road. (I was joking about people honking.)

Some headsets have TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) plugs that direct the mono signal to both stereo channels. Adapters can be purchased that are mono-to-stereo (TS-to-TRS)... Or they are very simple to create if you can use a soldering iron. I use these types of mics and adapters with wireless transmitters that take a TRS plug for input.

Last edited:
AlanZ42: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out. Apparently some people have had trouble hooking up the mono inputs to stereo recorders though.

Dave: I definitely see what you mean, but from my perspective it's basically the same as talking to a mute passenger. People probably shouldn't do that either, but I think it's considerably safer than using a phone, which means a two-way conversation that you have to strain to understand etc. I'm always focused on the road. (I was joking about people honking.)

Do you really have so little time that you have to record your work whilst driving? I don't want to get all "holy" about this but we seem to have fallen into the trap of seeing taking control of a car as a secondary task and HAVE to do something else whilst driving.

I mention talking on a hands free because I consider such an action distracts one from the road. Talking to a live person IN THE CAR is different because he/she is also aware of the situation and makes allowances in the conversation, tho' they are hardly aware of this. Try quizzing a driver who has just passed their test, get them to name all the garden birds they know in alphabetical order for instance. You will get a very stilted list!

How many drivers here can put hand on heart and say they have never had a moment when they thought ***k me! that was close! And they realize they had been thinking about some serious or troubling matter?

Sorry mate but you would I am sure join the band I hate. The prats that block junctions or find themselves in the wrong lane and cut you up at the last minute.

Dave.

Chili: I could try some Bluetooth headset as long as it doesn't have earplugs. Generally, they all seem to have earplugs.

Alan: I'll look into the Pyle headsets, although I would prefer a stereo mic.

Dave: I'm on the road 14 hours a week so it does add up. I don't have much free time other than this.

Chili: I could try some Bluetooth headset as long as it doesn't have earplugs. Generally, they all seem to have earplugs.

Alan: I'll look into the Pyle headsets, although I would prefer a stereo mic.

Dave: I'm on the road 14 hours a week so it does add up. I don't have much free time other than this.

Heh! Well ok, take care. Someone said on TV the other week.."There is no such thing as Multi-tasking. Just doing several things badly" !!

Dave.

Back