half-inch models

arjoll said:
They had "GX Glass & Crystal Ferrite" heads in a range of domestic reel to reel and cassette decks in the 70's and early 80's. I understand that they never went beyond 1/4" 4 track domestic recorders including some 'quad' 4 channel models. I have a GX265D 4 track 2 channel reel to reel and my dad has a GXC46D cassette deck.

Cya
Andrew

I was actually wondering if there was a non-4 track version. Thanks!

cjacek said:
Tho it is a very interesting and accepted hi-fi format, the CD will never, ever be a true representation of the original, with a few exceptions of course. Case in point would be the many classic 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's hits, all done with bad ass analog equipment, which were transferred to CD for us consumers to listen to. What you hear on cd is a "smaller" sound picture of what these recordings really sounded like on tape. Tho I like CD's, it was never the best format for music.

~Daniel

well,

I can definitely hear the difference between, say, a white stripes album recorded on a 1" 8-track and a rolling stones album recorded on a much thinner format.

A Reel Person said:
Tascam TSR-8 = 1/2" 8-track.
Fostex E-8 = 1/4" 8-track.

Not an equivalent. :eek:

you might be right about that. I thought the entire E-series was 1/2". might be totally wrong here.

A Reel Person said:
Fostex E-8 = 1/4" 8-track.

Not an equivalent. :eek:

Yup, you are right. I keep getting these small machines mixed up. 1/2" 8 track comes closer to the track width of a 2" 24 track than 1/4" 8track.

acorec said:
Yup, you are right. I keep getting these small machines mixed up. 1/2" 8 track comes closer to the track width of a 2" 24 track than 1/4" 8track.

how about this line of thinking...

2" 24-track = .08333 = 100%
1" 8-track = .125 = 150%
1/2" 8-track = .0625 = 75 %
1/2" 16-track = .03125 = 37.5%

looks like a 1/2" 8-track is closer to a 2" 24-track than is a 1"-8track. pretty damn close. although I remember seeing a graphic somewhere of tape widths..and the space between each track made the situation much worse..not sure if that was an exaggeration or not; if I put my volume too loud it can bleed; so I don't think the between track space can be so wide.

acorec said:
Sure there is, it is the E16!

It just has 8 more tracks!

Fostex E-16 = 1/2" 16-track.

Still not an equivalent!

For apples/apples comparisons, we might stick with:
Tascam MSR-16 (1/2" 16-track) &
Fostex E-16 (1/2" 16-track).

That would make sense. ;)

FALKEN said:
how about this line of thinking...

2" 24-track = .08333 = 100%
1" 8-track = .125 = 150%
1/2" 8-track = .0625 = 75 %
1/2" 16-track = .03125 = 37.5%

That works for me! ;)

???

FALKEN said:
well,...I can definitely hear the difference between, say, a white stripes album recorded on a 1" 8-track and a rolling stones album recorded on a much thinner format.

Forgive me for not listening to, or hearing any White Stripes in a critical sense,... but only having viewed them maybe once on MTV.

Also, I'm not aware of any Rolling Stones albums being recorded on narrow format machines. If you could please bring me up to speed on that???

Thanx. ;)

A Reel Person said:
Forgive me for not listening to, or hearing any White Stripes in a critical sense,... but only having viewed them maybe once on MTV.

Also, I'm not aware of any Rolling Stones albums being recorded on narrow format machines. If you could please bring me up to speed on that???

Thanx. ;)

Reel,

if you are into rock or blues, you GOTTA go get DeStijl (the white stripes 2nd album). they only record to tape, and the sound is to die for!! their recordings are an inspiration as they relate to home recording today (at least to me).

I just figured that the stones recorded on a narrower format ( in the 60s, of course! ), thinking that 2" 24 track wasn't available at the time and from the sound of the recordings. (albums like paint it black also being an inspiration)

Beck said:
A guy needs a machete to cut through Otari's model designations.

would a 5050 BII mean it is "B"elt driven?

i see a few BIIs, a BIII, and some straight up 5050s.

acorec said:
Well, if you like the TSR-8 then you will LOVE the Fostex equivilent!

The Fostex design team left Tascam because they were at odds with Tascam on certain stupid design flaws (like those &*^%$ relays). These guys left Tascam to start Fostex. Given this Tascam line, the Fostex equiv. line is a better sounding and more reliable machine.

Ugh! And you were doing so well! :D

First there is no Fostex version of the TSR-8 or even 38. The Fostex 8-track offerings were always on 1/4" tape.

Fostex was started by former Tascam engineers, but it had nothing to do with a spat over design issues. It was purely a business venture. Though what you are saying was part of the pitch by music store salesmen at the time.

I was there when Fostex introduced their answer to the Tascam portastudio and their first 8-track 1/4" reel. It was just terrible compared to Tascam. I had a good friend that took out a loan and built a studio with the original Fostex 8-track, half-track, and companion mixing board. My Tascam 244 cassette portastudio ran circles around it. He was very disappointed and sold it at a loss after a few months.

Fostex actually made the first salvo ever toward cutting costs and cutting corners in the portastudio wars. They are solely responsible for lowering the bar and the flood of toy-grade portable studios that followed. It wasn't pretty.

Back then we looked at Fostex as better than nothing if you couldn't afford Tascam.

Fostex quality did improve and they went a long way to redeem themselves as the 1/2" 16-track format matured. They beat Tascam to the punch by releasing the B-16 and E-16 before Tascam got around to the MSR-16.

The Fostex and Tascam 16's are both very close in quality. Tascam still gets the nod from me at this point in time because of service and parts availability.

Fostex support has virtually disappeared for their analog lines. There are a few common, fatal flaws in the Fostex units that can't even be repaired for lack of parts.

Some of the choice comes down to whether you have a preference for Tascam dbx or Fostex dolby C. The MSR and E units with dolby SR are pretty evenly matched in sound quality.

The E/G-16 is a great machine. Tascam came from behind with 16 on 1/2" but ultimately trumped Fostex with the MSR-16. That would be my first choice, with the E/G-16 a close second.

-Tim

Beck said:
Ugh! And you were doing so well! :D

First there is no Fostex version of the TSR-8 or even 38. The Fostex 8-track offerings were always on 1/4" tape.

Fostex was started by former Tascam engineers, but it had nothing to do with a spat over design issues. It was purely a business venture. Though what you are saying was part of the pitch by music store salesmen at the time.

I was there when Fostex introduced their answer to the Tascam portastudio and their first 8-track 1/4" reel. It was just terrible compared to Tascam. I had a good friend that took out a loan and built a studio with the original Fostex 8-track, half-track, and companion mixing board. My Tascam 244 cassette portastudio ran circles around it. He was very disappointed and sold it at a loss after a few months.

Fostex actually made the first salvo ever toward cutting costs and cutting corners in the portastudio wars. They are solely responsible for lowering the bar and the flood of toy-grade portable studios that followed. It wasn't pretty.

Back then we looked at Fostex as better than nothing if you couldn't afford Tascam.

Fostex quality did improve and they went a long way to redeem themselves as the 1/2" 16-track format matured. They beat Tascam to the punch by releasing the B-16 and E-16 before Tascam got around to the MSR-16.

The Fostex and Tascam 16's are both very close in quality. Tascam still gets the nod from me at this point in time because of service and parts availability.

Fostex support has virtually disappeared for their analog lines. There are a few common, fatal flaws in the Fostex units that can't even be repaired for lack of parts.

Some of the choice comes down to whether you have a preference for Tascam dbx or Fostex dolby C. The MSR and E units with dolby SR are pretty evenly matched in sound quality.

The E/G-16 is a great machine. Tascam came from behind with 16 on 1/2" but ultimately trumped Fostex with the MSR-16. That would be my first choice, with the E/G-16 a close second.

-Tim

I did read an article in a pro audio magazine back in the 80's. It was an interview with the chief engineer and he told the stories about his spats with Tascam. The only reason I remember the one story about the relays is because I had an 80-8 at the time and had discovered thatwhen they get dirty, the channels do some really strange things. He used the relay design as one of his gripes in the interview. I had so many battles with those god damn relays that I finally gave up. The rest of the machine was tired and I gave it away. The Fostex E-16 was my next deck. I used that thing everyday and all weekend long for the better part of 12 years. It is still in mint condition and needs a head re-lap. The Fostex absolutely out-lived the 80-8 in every way. All this talk about small decks makes me want to pull the headstack and re-lap. I can get the thing up and use it. The 2" tape is E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

acorec said:
I did read an article in a pro audio magazine back in the 80's. It was an interview with the chief engineer and he told the stories about his spats with Tascam. The only reason I remember the one story about the relays is because I had an 80-8 at the time and had discovered thatwhen they get dirty, the channels do some really strange things. He used the relay design as one of his gripes in the interview. I had so many battles with those god damn relays that I finally gave up. The rest of the machine was tired and I gave it away. The Fostex E-16 was my next deck. I used that thing everyday and all weekend long for the better part of 12 years. It is still in mint condition and needs a head re-lap. The Fostex absolutely out-lived the 80-8 in every way. All this talk about small decks makes me want to pull the headstack and re-lap. I can get the thing up and use it. The 2" tape is E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

Out lived the 80-8 -- I'll buy that, but the best comparison should be between the MSR-16 and E/G-16. Though they each have their unique annoyances they both hold up well with time. The big issue for me now is parts availability when they do wear or fail.

I've never had issues with solenoids and relays on the portastudios or the TSR/MSR machines. Perhaps they were improved.

-Tim

isn't the MSR built like a washing machine? I don't really think thats a fair comparison to a table-top unit.

FALKEN said:
isn't the MSR built like a washing machine? I don't really think thats a fair comparison to a table-top unit.

You're thinking of the MS-16 1" tape. The MSR-16, MSR-24, and TSR-8 are all in the same family.

The MS-16 blows away the 1/2" 16's.

MS-16 1" (1987)
MSR-16 1/2" (1988)
TSR-8 1/2" (1989)
MSR-24 1" (1990)

-Tim

truuuue.

back to my QUESTION (s?)

which of these 1/4" mx5050s is the choice? BII, BIII? something else? pretty much have my pick on ebay.

FALKEN said:
truuuue.

back to my QUESTION (s?)

which of these 1/4" mx5050s is the choice? BII, BIII? something else? pretty much have my pick on ebay.

I've worked with the BII. The BIII is just the latest model and is still being sold new. I don't know of any real significant differences between them, but there are versions of the BII with a special head that plays back 2-channel 4-track (consumer hifi).

I don't think you can go wrong with BII, BIII, MKII, MKIII -- not much difference in the 5050. If you can find one that's in decent shape you'll be happy with Otari products. :)

This must be the Harmonic Convergence, sign of the Second Coming, or Armageddon,...

because I agree entirely with Beck!

Beck was kind enough to echo some points I made earlier, too.

WTG, Beck! ;)

Back