Guitars + LCD Monitors. Noisy?

Uladine

Okay I don't know if this should've been in the computer recording forum or not but it has much to do with guitars so I picked this one instead. Anyway, I'm sure everyone who uses a computer to record knows about the insane noise you get if you get too close to a standard computer monitor while trying to record a decently distorted guitar track. This can cause severe problems in smaller rooms where you can't seem to get far enough away from the monitor to effectively reduce the noise.

My friend and I started wondering if the newer LCD monitors cause the same problem because they work differently from standard monitors. I've been waiting for the price to come down on these before buying one, but if they're "silent" I might just have to break open the piggy bank. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Ah, I may have found the answer myself:

"Low emissions
An LCD is essentially emission-free, while a CRT monitor can generate electric, magnetic and even X-ray emissions due to the high-voltage power supply necessary to drive the CRT. An LCD causes no electromagnetic interference."

-from the viewsonic website

I don't have any experience with guitars and LCDs (I'm too poor for anything more than a CRT :p ), but when I was working in a repair shop, we would very often get CRTs that generated a lot of interference, but never an LCD. Lots of people swear by the little guys, so there's gotta be something to them.

I hate that, I have a CRT monitor cus I was too lazy to go buy an LCD and now I'm stuck with it. This brings another question, do speakers and monitors also cause this noise?

myhatbroke said:
I hate that, I have a CRT monitor cus I was too laxy to go buy an LCD and now I'm stuck with it. This brings another question, do speakers and monitors also cause this noise?

The only problem you'll get is feedback if the speakers are loud enough..

If you put your guitar up close to the LCD, you'll get a deep hum sound...but even just sitting back a couple feet there is no interference at all.
Having CRTs in the studio is a thing of the past...or it should be anyway...

If you get a hum from facing your LCD then you will probably find you have a powerpack or something else that could be throwing out interference on the floor just below the screen. Try moving all power packs as far away from where you sit and if possible put them towards your back so at least your body can act as a shield. I used to get a lot of interference through Dimarzio Breed pickups (other pups on other guitars werent as noisy) in my current room until I moved the power packs and convertors further away from where I sit while recording. I use a 19" LCD and there is no noise if I stand on front of it now. Hope that helps.

timthetortoise said:
I don't have any experience with guitars and LCDs (I'm too poor for anything more than a CRT :p )...

Actually, the prices have really come down lately. One of my old 17" CRT monitors gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago, and I found a 19" Westinghouse flat panel monitor at Best Buys for less than $200. Sweet.

myhatbroke said:
I hate that, I have a CRT monitor cus I was too lazy to go buy an LCD and now I'm stuck with it. This brings another question, do speakers and monitors also cause this noise?
No, but amplifiers do. Or anything else with a transformer.

I saw a 19" widescreen LCD monitor on the Best Buy website for $250. Time to start saving some dough.

The only thing about LCDs is

they're not quite as fast as a CRT. This is more noticable on some than others. They are much better now than they used to be, though.

Back