Guitar Technique Question

I haven't said anything different from anyone else. We all say to practice and play more. How is that a bad thing? That may not be the spoonfed answer you're looking for, but it is the answer. You want someone to tell you how to play that simple little progression, and you got that. What's the big deal?

I've practiced 180hrs this year and aim to do 2hrs per day. I keep a log book. Those are just practice hours, then I play songs and record songs on top of that. I practice a lot, and I have played guitar for years. I'm not bad or new to the instrument. I am trying to refine things and get rid of bad habits that accrued precisely from self-teaching and not caring about the things you're telling me not to care about. I want to tighten up and get better and that means looking at little things.

You don't even understand the original question. I wasn't asking how to play that progression and could play it in my sleep. I was asking what people do on the last subdivision of the beat in order to get to the next chord. To you that is asking how to play the chord change? It's not. The mute and open string technique on the "a" of 1e&a doesn't sound good to me, so I wanted to know if it was something with my technique or something inherent to 16th note chord changes at tempo.

I'll just join a guitar forum and ask people who understand the nuances ("just play" isn't advice for someone who's trying to refine things and correct bad habits that have happened from "just playing"). I'm not "butt hurt" and really just want you to leave me alone. Every thread I see you in you just use as an excuse to go on and on about your philosophy of music, which from what I can tell is a hatred of music theory and jamming on 3 power chords and recording real drums.

Fair enough. But it wasn't directed solely at him, and I only "judge" after certain personality traits have been exposed.

It's a vicious circle. Jabs and derogatory comments tend to provoke certain personality traits.

Everyone has a breaking point. Your (anyone's) mission is not to find it.

I've practiced 180hrs this year and aim to do 2hrs per day. I keep a log book. Those are just practice hours, then I play songs and record songs on top of that. I practice a lot, and I have played guitar for years. I'm not bad or new to the instrument. I am trying to refine things and get rid of bad habits that accrued precisely from self-teaching and not caring about the things you're telling me not to care about. I want to tighten up and get better and that means looking at little things.

You don't even understand the original question. I wasn't asking how to play that progression and could play it in my sleep. I was asking what people do on the last subdivision of the beat in order to get to the next chord. To you that is asking how to play the chord change? It's not. The mute and open string technique on the "a" of 1e&a doesn't sound good to me, so I wanted to know if it was something with my technique or something inherent to 16th note chord changes at tempo.

I'll just join a guitar forum and ask people who understand the nuances ("just play" isn't advice for someone who's trying to refine things and correct bad habits that have happened from "just playing"). I'm not "butt hurt" and really just want you to leave me alone. Every thread I see you in you just use as an excuse to go on and on about your philosophy of music, which from what I can tell is a hatred of music theory and jamming on 3 power chords.

No, I play barre chords, fluidly, from one to another. Exactly what you're trying to achieve, I already do easily.

Anyway, what I've told you in this thread, and the others where you keep bringing up the same problem you're having, is to just do it. What you're not understanding is there is no magic trick. It's not even a technique thing. If you can strum and play a barre chord, you can do this. You just have to do it. It really, truly is that simple. And since you can't do it fast enough to be happy with it, you have to do it slowly until you can do it faster. That's practice. That's all I'm saying.

No, I play barre chords, fluidly, from one to another. Exactly what you're trying to achieve, I already do easily.

Anyway, what I've told you in this thread, and the others where you keep bringing up the same problem you're having, is to just do it. What you're not understanding is there is no magic trick. It's not even a technique thing. If you can strum and play a barre chord, you can do this. You just have to do it. It really, truly is that simple. And since you can't do it fast enough to be happy with it, you have to do it slowly until you can do it faster. That's practice. That's all I'm saying.

Okay, cool.

It's a vicious circle. Jabs and derogatory comments tend to provoke certain personality traits.

Everyone has a breaking point. Your (anyone's) mission is not to find it.
I wasn't trying to find it. I was trying to help the guy, just like I have in his other threads.

In practical terms, if you're playing a fast progression the most important thing is to nail the change. Nobody's really listening to that last sixteenth note before the change, but that they will hear it if you don't play the following chord cleanly and in time. Sorry I can't tell you more. I rarely play that fast anymore.

I am trying to refine things and get rid of bad habits that accrued precisely from self-teaching and not caring about the things you're telling me not to care about. I want to tighten up and get better and that means looking at little things.

You don't even understand the original question. I wasn't asking how to play that progression and could play it in my sleep. I was asking what people do on the last subdivision of the beat in order to get to the next chord.

It's OK to improve and get rid of anything you consider a bad habit...but I think you're under the impression that there is an absolute correct way to play through that subdivision, which there isn't....and why people have said, "just play".
So as much as you think some here don't understand the original question, you also don't seem to grasp that validity of the answer..."just play"...IOW, it doesn't matter what you do during that subdivision, it's YOUR call...same reason I said I don't know what I do, because it may change from one section of a song to another...yet you see that as a no answer, answer.

Also...keep in mind that the more you try to play "by the book" so to speak, removing all idiosyncrasies and "bad habits"...the more you lose any style you might have, or could end up having, and you will be precise, without any personal touch...
...which ties into your other thread, the one about the "Death of Mistakes"....if you clean it up too much, it will lose it's spice. ;)

Oh...and since you seem to be bothered by the style of responses you get from some of us...it may be because you tend to be easily bothered by any answers not meeting your preconceived expectations. It's an open forum...you can't tell people what type of answers you want them to give you. :)
Everyone was giving you valid answers...but you were rejecting them, and saying people were just making "weird assumptions and judgements" and giving you "flippant" answers...so you kinda set the stage for what followed.

"weird assumptions and judgements"

A guy told me to put down my phone. I don't even own a phone. So yeah...that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not worth getting into. I'll join a guitar forum and ask questions there.

It's OK to improve and get rid of anything you consider a bad habit...but I think you're under the impression that there is an absolute correct way to play through that subdivision, which there isn't....and why people have said, "just play".
So as much as you think some here don't understand the original question, you also don't seem to grasp that validity of the answer..."just play"...IOW, it doesn't matter what you do during that subdivision, it's YOUR call...same reason I said I don't know what I do, because it may change from one section of a song to another...yet you see that as a no answer, answer.

Also...keep in mind that the more you try to play "by the book" so to speak, removing all idiosyncrasies and "bad habits"...the more you lose any style you might have, or could end up having, and you will be precise, without any personal touch...
...which ties into your other thread, the one about the "Death of Mistakes"....if you clean it up too much, it will lose it's spice. ;)

Oh...and since you seem to be bothered by the style of responses you get from some of us...it may be because you tend to be easily bothered by any answers not meeting your preconceived expectations. It's an open forum...you can't tell people what type of answers you want them to give you. :)
Everyone was giving you valid answers...but you were rejecting them, and saying people were just making "weird assumptions and judgements" and giving you "flippant" answers...so you kinda set the stage for what followed.

+1 to all of that.

A guy told me to put down my phone. I don't even own a phone. So yeah...that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not worth getting into. I'll join a guitar forum and ask questions there.

But that was a totally different thread right?

Dood, just take the advice others give you here and try not to take things personally from individual members and the way they place their input. You cannot expect to always get the advice you are wishing for in the exact way you expect. Some may give advice in a form that you do not wish to hear. You will get that to some degree on every forum.

Just take a breath and enjoy playing guitar. That is what is most important IMO.

Peace bro. :)

I'll join a guitar forum and ask questions there.

Go for it....but don't be surprised to find a much greater opinionated state of affairs there, as most of those forums are frequented by guys who have way to much time on their hands...so they debate the minutia of the minutia about guitars, amps and playing...and there you will surely get to spend many pages discussing what to play during a 16th note subdivision.

Here, we kept it simple and told you to "just play". :p

Some things just aren't subject to brute force practice. Back in the stone age when I was "playing" guitar I would fight so hard to get some things, every day for weeks, but they just didn't come to me. I'd give up on the technique and then half a year later they would just pop out effortlessly. If I were you I'd let it go for a while and come back to it later. Come up with a provisional technique for now.

I was asking what people do on the last subdivision of the beat in order to get to the next chord.

Judging by the answers and my own experience, most people who aren't pro studio musicians just don't think in those terms. I doubt people are thinking "1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a" while chunking away at barre chords.

Back