Guitar Technique Question

Everyone here KNOWS how to play it...

I have no fucking idea which of the two I do.

okay. sounds like you're an authority. lol

the vultures are out. someone doesn't know as much as the "experts", so the vultures are out to make sure that person gets put in their place.

i'm done with the people here who don't know the answer. if anyone does know the answer i'd really welcome actual knowledge

okay. sounds like you're an authority. lol

the point I was making is THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT....I can play a rhythm guitar part 15 different ways and make each way sound good.

You're asking for the one "right" way....and you're frustrated that no one is giving you that singular answer. :facepalm:

lift all your fretting fingers off the fretboard when you play that chord. Put your fingers back on the fretboard for the next chord. Because it is only a 16th note in length and it doesn't repeat, it is almost percussive in nature. doesn't matter what the actual chord is. No need to mute it with your picking hand.

De Nada

Yeah okay I re-read the first post and even watched the video. I've played that sort of thing both ways. If I am covering a tune I start with what the TAB shows and if it don't sound right I'll try it a different way. The chord pro/TAB you showed calls for that open string strum so play it that way. Play it without (if you can manage it) for something different to try). The key is whether it is a lesson or cover. You should always play what is on the page as a starting point for a cover and it is the be all/end all of a lesson.

I do not see any vultures here man.

Unless you are intentionally trying to duplicate the playing style of a certain player on a particular song, there is no right way to play anything. That is what differentiates every players style.

Be you and play it the way it feels right to you. :)

I do not see any vultures here man.

Unless you are intentionally trying to duplicate the playing style of a certain player on a particular song, there is no right way to play anything. That is what differentiates every players style.

Be you and play it the way it feels right to you. :)

That's not what he wants to hear! Just give him the answer!

lift all your fretting fingers off the fretboard when you play that chord. Put your fingers back on the fretboard for the next chord. Because it is only a 16th note in length and it doesn't repeat, it is almost percussive in nature. doesn't matter what the actual chord is. No need to mute it with your picking hand.

De Nada

thanks chili, yeah i meant a left hand mute. i wasn't sure if i was supposed to move faster or smoother to eliminate that mute/noise, or if it was just normal byproduct because nobody can change the chord that fast. i can do that mute thing easily. i wanted to eliminate it because i don't like how it sounds sometimes (reminds me of that jack johnson style!) and thought maybe i was doing something wrong.

Nola, I think you just need to practice your arse off. It's like the octave chord thing you were worrying about before. If you practice you'll get it. There's no point in getting arsey with people offering you free advice.

Nola, I think you just need to practice your arse off. It's like the octave chord thing you were worrying about before. If you practice you'll get it. There's no point in getting arsey with people offering you free advice.

Lol. Oh yeah, the octave conundrum. I forgot about that.

Just practice. Play. Play and practice. These simple things won't stump you anymore.

I think this guy is trolling us now. Well played.

Just practice. Play. Play and practice. These simple things won't stump you anymore.

For all the formal lesson I had....I can't remember anything specific that was "revealed" to me at the time.
Most of my style and chops came from just playing, hours and hours of playing all kinds of stuff, and also playing in bands, which opens up a completely different level of playing because you're playing with and reacting to other players.

Yeah, it sounds like a no answer answer "just play"...but it really is the only answer.

Back in the day, tabs didn't even exist...."put your finger here, press there"...so most of it came from listening, and from improvising.

Last edited:
I actually learned by buying the tab book for a couple of nirvana albums, an AIC album and Metallica's black album. I spent ages wearing the fuck out of tapes until I'd worked it all out and worn out the fretboard on my shitty old strat copy!

I wore out records. And when I was old enough to go to clubs, I'd be the kid in the front staring at the guitar player's hands, memorizing what he did.

As soon as I got home I'd stand in front of a mirror, trying to duplicate what his hands were doing.
:D

Now you got tabs and youtube, and people on the internet willling to help you out. For free.

Untill they run out of patience. :D

I wore out records. And when I was old enough to go to clubs, I'd be the kid in the front staring at the guitar player's hands, memorizing what he did.

As soon as I got home I'd stand in front of a mirror, trying to duplicate what his hands were doing.
:D

Now you got tabs and youtube, and people on the internet willling to help you out. For free.

Untill they run out of patience. :D

Right. I didn't have tabs or internet. I didn't take lessons or get hamstrung by meaningless minutia like the nanosecond between chords. Maybe I'd be a better player today if I did, but I didn't, and I'm pretty satisfied with how I play what I play for the most part. What I did have were friends that played better than me and a shitload of records and tapes. I had ears that work and a desire to figure things out for myself without acting like an entitled crybaby. And goddamn, it worked. I taught myself how to play several instruments.

Right. I didn't have tabs or internet. I didn't take lessons or get hamstrung by meaningless minutia like the nanosecond between chords. Maybe I'd be a better player today if I did, but I didn't, and I'm pretty satisfied with how I play what I play for the most part. What I did have were friends that played better than me and a shitload of records and tapes. I had ears that work and a desire to figure things out for myself without acting like an entitled crybaby. And goddamn, it worked. I taught myself how to play several instruments.

Can you do me a favor and just not post in my threads? Nothing you have said is helpful or related to the original question.
I care about the beat's subdivision. If you don't, then you don't, so why are you in this thread?

Can you do me a favor and just not post in my threads? Nothing you have said is helpful or related to the original question.
I care about the beat's subdivision. If you don't, then you don't, so why are you in this thread?

I haven't said anything different from anyone else. We all say to practice and play more. How is that a bad thing? That may not be the spoonfed answer you're looking for, but it is the answer. You want someone to tell you how to play that simple little progression, and you got that. What's the big deal?

I haven't said anything different from anyone else. We all say to practice and play more. How is that a bad thing? That may not be the spoonfed answer you're looking for, but it is the answer. You want someone to tell you how to play that simple little progression, and you got that. What's the big deal?

Yeah man but it is in the way you say it....

'Spoonfed' and 'entitled crybaby' are derogatory terms directed at the OP. Do you not realize that is not helping him by judging him? The rest of your advice is clear and on point. Is there a need to give a jab while trying to help?

Just sayin dood.

Yeah man but it is in the way you say it....

'Spoonfed' and 'entitled crybaby' are derogatory terms directed at the OP. Do you not realize that is not helping him by judging him? The rest of your advice is clear and on point. Is there a need to give a jab while trying to help?

Just sayin dood.

Fair enough. But it wasn't directed solely at him, and I only "judge" after certain personality traits have been exposed. His threads do tend to go this route lately because his ignorance is bliss. He argues basic fact because he just doesn't know any better, and then he blames others for his own shortcomings. Fine. No one is born knowing this stuff. I think everyone in this thread, including me, is trying trying to help. But my comments were more in regard to the general attitudes of n00bs in general, not really just him. They all seem to act like this now. You know it's true. You've been around here long enough to see it yourself.

Back