Guitar Collections

Wow, some of you have alot of guitars. I have had a few but I have settled on just a small number:

Acoustics:
Framous? 12 string--that was nice but I traded it in when I bought a used Ovation 6.

Ovation 6 string acoustic/electric--still have this one. In fact it is my only acoustic. This is an early 70's model based on the literature that came with it.

Used to have a Celebrity 12 string which I pawned when bills got tight.

Electrics:

Yamaha Bass, 90's J/P style. I use this when a record my songs. I have gigged as a bass player for two bands but I hate playing and trying to sing at the same time. Its easier to chew gum and walk on my hands. Not much of a bass player.

Late 80's Fender Japanese-made Strat. This puppy is the best playing electric I have ever owned. It is my main guitar. I eventually got rid of those noisy pickups and replaced them with Lace Sensor--Red-White (silver)-Blue from Bridge to neck. I love this guitar and did all the pickup work myself. My Pride and Joy.

'95 Fender Custom Tele--black with pearloid binding and gold hardware. It catches your eyes immediately and plays darn well. Again, a Japanese made guitar. I will be replacing the pickups soon with the vintage noiseless Fender recent came out with. I use this alot for doubling leads with the strat and soft-chorused rhythm work. Smooth is the word though that bridge pickup is as icy as ever.

Used to have an Electra-Westone which was a decent guitar but not much bite. H-S-H pickup configuration. Looking back now, the lack of sound quality probably had more to with my cheap amp at the time. This guitar played well and I wish I had it now for that humbucker sound.

Worst mistakes in my life:

Needed money for books so I sold a '64 Precision bass--man, I just scream evertime I think about that.

Thought that wattage equaled great amp so I sold a Fended Band Master head and 2x12 cabinet. It was maybe 25 watts--but it was an all-tube amp. Totally clean and the sound made most amps sound sad next to it. But, hell, I was sixteen and had to try to louder than my lead player. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now that tube amps are the holy grail--well I wish I knew then...

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 12-09-1999).]

I want to play too!

I have 5 guitars right now, I think.

1) I have a custom G&L S-500 (Leo's final definition of the Strat) (HardTailed)
- Maple Neck.
- Hard Tailed ASAT stop piece
- Huge Neck and Frets (#4)
- Butterscotch Finish
- Tweed Case

2) Harmony Strat copy, maple neck. (1994)
-- Keep it around cause it has the vibrato bar, sounds like 60s garage stuff.

3) Washburn HB35S. (335 copy) (1994)
one of the prototypes of this guitar
all hand made, sounds great.

4) Simon and Patrick Rosewood Pro. (1999)
With Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker.

5) Heritage SM-150 (1995)
Les Paul Style Heritage guitar.
All hand made.
Great amberburst top

I also have a whole bunch of recording gear, but I guess that goes on a different post.

--Mike
5)

I have a '93 Les Paul Studio. Wine red with gold plated hardware, this thing is sweet. I have a '91 Am Std Strat. Black with white pickguard and maple fretboard. This was my first guitar and probably my favorite. I also have a '60 Fender Custom Shop Strat. This is the preetiest guitar I've ever seen. It has a photoflame top and birdseye maple neck. The tone is awesome. For acoustics, I have a Washburn EA-36. I have'nt seen many of these around. They have a birdseye maple body. It's acousticelectric. I play this one a lot too.

Hello,

Guitars include,

Rickenbacker 4001, with high action, both pickups on, neck pickup volume slightly lower, medium roundwound, played with skin. Love this bass!!

Guild D50 1960 something, My wife bought it for me, We are still married 26 years, ladies take note. Paul Simon made me want this one, sounds great for fingerpicking, and plays loud when strummed.

Alvarez strat copy, I traded my old Teac 3440 open reel for this one. The Teac would go from play to stop at random times. No one could fix it, good ridence. Alvarez seems to be well made, except tuning pegs would fall appart every time I change strings

Man, don't let me know where you guys with the vintage Strats live... :) It's amazing to see the quality of guitars, and the huge number as well, listed here. I need to make sure my wife reads this thread so I can prove to her that I'm not crazy, and that I DO need to buy more guitars. I've been considering a Parker for a while too Buck, let me know how it is if you get one.

Anyway, here's my list:
2 Fender American Strat Deluxes, Paul Reed Smith Custom, Ovation acoustic, Ibanex 5 string bass, '73 Fender Jazz bass, 1960's Gibson acoustic that I inherited.

Instruments besides guitars/basses:
Pearl Export Select kit, Roland V-Drums Pro kit, Roland A-90EX controller.

The most interesting thing I have is a nylon string acoustic that I found in an old church storage building years ago when helping clean it out. The guy I was helping gave it to me, because he had no idea where it came from. It has "Madrid, 1941" written inside it, with some guys signature that I can't make out. I don't know anything else about it. Probably not worth anything, but sounds good.

I have : 1978 Strat , Black with maple neck looks like the one The Edge used to paly in U2 but hardtail.
92 Gibson Hummingbird , best money i ever spent as I have to pick it up everyday even if just to strum one tune.
98 Yamaha APX which i play with my band live for acoustic numbers
97 Yamaha RBX260 fretless bass , was cheap but real easy to play and sounds not to bad.
Am buying a no name lap steel i fell in love with in Vancouver this weekend.

Hey timtraynor, I bet we're like distant cousins or something. I've got a Hond flying V with an added tremelo but I just pulled my EMG out and stuck it in my Squire Strat! My main tone horse is my Ibanez Artist. I heard that they got sued for copyright infringement by Gibson (it's a Les Paul knockoff) and quit making them years ago. It's got tapped coils and everyone remarks on it's awesome tones. I've seen where they have re-released a similar style recently.

Like timtraynor though, I love to plug that Hondo in and summon up demonic aliens from astral space. It's just fun to play! I've also got a closet full of cases and parts including the mangled body of my first guitar, a Fender Bullet. I chopped the front up with a hatchet and drilled holes in it to launch pyros from the stage during shows. I've also got an '86 SG that is black metal flake with two white supersport stripes and a truss rod cover engraved "SSSG". I love seeing peoples faces when I pull it out. It's like they just caught me pissing on Leo Fenders grave or something. Then, I smoke 'em! And whoever that was that complained about their Epiphone SG's thick, murky tone, that's what a SG is supposed to sound like! You've got to step up to the plate and ride that thing man. It ain't no wussie "touchy, feely" thing. Get a G&L for that stuff.

Vintage! Vintage! Vintage!

Currently in the barn :

1963 Gibson ES-125 TCD w/ two p-90s, bigsby, and way cool cherry sunburst that has cracked and faded just right

1954 Sivertone Espanado archtop electric-- can any one tell me about this guitar. It is black, two pickups, and has aluminum binding all around the top and back.

1951 Gretsch Corvette " electromatic" w/ d'armond pickup at the neck

195? Kay acoustic - this guitar is a jumbo flattop. One of the nicest Kays that I've seen. Beautiful honey finish, perfect action and lots of volume and great tone!

1982 Fender Squire - one of the good ones made from leftover '70's bodies and necks.
w/ Texas special pickups

198? Harmony Srtat copy - what can I say, only $75 in a pawn shop. Never seen this color befor - light tan. Ugly but cool.

All of the above played thru vintage tweed and early brown face stuff.

Electrics:
Rick 330/6
Rick 340/12
Tele '52 Reissue w/Am. Std. bridge
Am. Std. Tele
Les Paul Classic
EDS-1275 doubleneck
Epiphone Sheraton
Danelectro 56/U2
Am. Std. P-Bass
Acoustics:
Martin D-35
Gibson CL-10
Taylor 450/12
Baby Taylor
Ovation Elite Std.

My mother's aunt gave me (yes, gave me) a 1956 L.P. TV model with matching amp in near mint condition.

Unfortunately I butchered it as it was and is my main axe.

Holly cow, some of you have alot of guitars,
all i have is a Court acoustic and old Ibanez and a les paul studio.

Hawlk,
Don't despair over owning just three guitars--it only takes one to make great music!
Regards,
Chops

How can you guys afford to finance such a collection, you're obviously overpaid. If any of want to donate some of your collection to me I won't complain :)

I've only got 2 guitars a Jackson Concept (my main axe!) and a Crafter LX550 semi acoustic.

A Sears Silvertone sunburst acoustic (early '60's cowboy guitar?) with a Japanese magnetic pickup of unknown age/origin screwed into the soundhole: the slide guitar from pecos purgatory that makes the most hardened luthiers cringe with revulsion and shake with joy...

A Martin DC-1

An early '70's Takamine copy of a D-18 with a peizo pickup in its poop chute

A Fransiscan 12-string acoustic - early '70's, $75

A 3/4 size 20 some-year-old Harmony acoustic

A well-worn spanish-style acoustic with a heart of gold and a voice to match

The cheapest telecaster possible to buy, retrofitted like a dream

Most everyone has me beat in the guitar catagory.

Fender Squire Strat
Aria Pro
Tanaka
Crucianelli bass (bought out by Vox)
three acustics of unknown origin

BUT, I have about 20 synths. Everything from a Roland W30 to casio cz101. Lots of Rolands, Korgs, Yamahas, Moog, Arp, etc.

I thought I was alone in the gear addict catagory. Thank god I've found some other sick people I can relate to. I go to about 4 swap meets a week. Sometimes twice each per day. I have a box full of stomp boxes I haven't, and will probably never use. In fact I think one of the first posts I put on this site was regarding a Fender Blender I found. Every week I tell myself this is it. This is the last time I'm going to do this. But then the morning comes, and I start wondering what I might be missing if I don't go to the swap meet. Pretty soon my mind becomes clouded and the sweat starts to pour from my brow and I jump out of bed like a madman daring anyone to get in my way. I'm sick. Lost in a sea of gear. Woe is me. God I love it. I found a BIG Ampeg tube bass amp for $10. The lady didn't know what it was. She just wanted it out of her garage. That's just one example of many finds. I have stuff I haven't even seen for a couple of years. Yes, like you, my friends...I am an addict. (sob)

Back