Guitar Center jobs

yurtpoh

so i applied at GC two weeks ago, but i cant seem to find a number to call to check up on my application. ive decided im going to walk in and ask the manager about it instead. but now im starting to get cold feet lol. anyone here apply or work at GC before? will the manager have any idea about my application's status? or is it dependent on someone higher up in corporate??

i also dont wanna hear that its a "bad place to work" and whatnot. ive already read those reviews online.. the only reason i think id enjoy it is because ive played guitar since i was 7, and i actually know what im talking about (unlike 90% of GC employees).. but for some reason, im irrationally nervous all of a sudden about getting rejected, or looking like a fool for showing up and asking about my application.. does anyone have any helpful input?

How does applying at GC work anyway? Do you apply in person, or is it some online thing? If you applied in a store, just call that store and ask the manager when you can expect to hear something. At the very least maybe it will show the manager that you're actually interested in working there.

How does applying at GC work anyway? Do you apply in person, or is it some online thing? If you applied in a store, just call that store and ask the manager when you can expect to hear something. At the very least maybe it will show the manager that you're actually interested in working there.

i forgot to say. its online, thats why idk if its the local store or their corporate HQ that does the hiring.

It can't hurt to ask and it may make you look keener than the rest. I'd ask.

good point.. ill head over there tomorrow at lunch when they're not busy and ask

Oh, you're screwed, they don't want that at all! :laughings:

lmao, well dang :P

For sure the local manager gets a listing, but it might go through corporate for vetting first and may take a few days or a week to reach him.

Yeah, I'd go to the local store and ask for the manager. Say something like, "I'm following up on my online application and was hoping for a moment to talk with you about any possible openings in your operation." Or some fluff-job like that. Don't be sugary or arrogant, just be matter-of-fact with a bit of butter. :)

Good luck.
(I hate job interviews)

For sure the local manager gets a listing, but it might go through corporate for vetting first and may take a few days or a week to reach him.

Yeah, I'd go to the local store and ask for the manager. Say something like, "I'm following up on my online application and was hoping for a moment to talk with you about any possible openings in your operation." Or some fluff-job like that. Don't be sugary or arrogant, just be matter-of-fact with a bit of butter. :)

Good luck.
(I hate job interviews)

alright thanks. and i do too lol. it just feels like a bunch of pressure which ends up giving me anxiety

Steal something and then go back with it and say "I'm here for your loss-prevention position".

lol, genius! that plan is foolproof, it has to work :P

I'd just look up the number and give em a call following up about it. You could go by too I suppose. It'll probably be a short conversation either way so don't get nervous.

You realize, though, that they don't give a rat's ass about your ability to play, what they care about is your ability to sell.

Except that's the job for the pretty vacuous girl at the front door. ;)

GC did away with door people a while back. You can now walk in and out of GC with anything. Bring in an empty case, walk out with a Les Paul Custom. That pretty girl is back at Hot Topic selling lame band t-shirts.

If you can't find a valid number to call, I would just go in and say "I was told to check after X amount of days if I didn't hear back regarding my GC application. Can you direct me to the best person to speak with"

If that doesn't get the job done, that loss prevention idea someone said earlier would be option 2 :D

You realize, though, that they don't give a rat's ass about your ability to play, what they care about is your ability to sell.

yeah i know, but i figure that i can use my knowledge to sell better.. most kids in there are like "umm.. this ones electric. it has strings.. and i like the pretty colors!" lol

If you can't find a valid number to call, I would just go in and say "I was told to check after X amount of days if I didn't hear back regarding my GC application. Can you direct me to the best person to speak with"

If that doesn't get the job done, that loss prevention idea someone said earlier would be option 2 :D

lol alright that sounds reasonable

all these posts are helpful, thanks for all the responses :)

Well, just understand that your knowledge is probably not going to be called into play to 'sell better', it's your willingness to sell what they're intersted in pushing at that particular time. I know you think I'm being negative, but I can't tell you how many guys have quit or been let go after becoming disillusioned at the reality that the job isn't about playing guitar or talking music, it's about being a salesman. Look at the turnover they have. Think about it. Car dealerships don't hire race car drivers or mechanics to sell their cars, they hire salesmen. Yes, GC is different because you have to demo things, and part of the pitch is to get impressionable kids to think that they're 'friends' with the cool guy at GC, and their friend wouldn't steer them wrong. You'll also learn quickly that whatever the customer says, you agree with. You'll have to pretend to love whatever musical genre that you can't stand.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, I just want you to go into it with your eyes wide open.

I applied at GC many years ago they did a group interview with about 15 people. Someone mentioned it before, they are looking for sales people first, if you happen to know your product then that is just bonus to them.

Just be confident in yourself.

Well, just understand that your knowledge is probably not going to be called into play to 'sell better', it's your willingness to sell what they're intersted in pushing at that particular time. I know you think I'm being negative, but I can't tell you how many guys have quit or been let go after becoming disillusioned at the reality that the job isn't about playing guitar or talking music, it's about being a salesman. Look at the turnover they have. Think about it. Car dealerships don't hire race car drivers or mechanics to sell their cars, they hire salesmen. Yes, GC is different because you have to demo things, and part of the pitch is to get impressionable kids to think that they're 'friends' with the cool guy at GC, and their friend wouldn't steer them wrong. You'll also learn quickly that whatever the customer says, you agree with. You'll have to pretend to love whatever musical genre that you can't stand.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, I just want you to go into it with your eyes wide open.

yeah thats a good point.. and i dont think youre being negative or anything, youre just being realistic. thats respectable lol

I applied at GC many years ago they did a group interview with about 15 people. Someone mentioned it before, they are looking for sales people first, if you happen to know your product then that is just bonus to them.

Just be confident in yourself.

yeah true.. and a group interview? what was that like?

they ended up calling me, i didnt even have to call and ask about my app.. but the moment i tried to call back my phone stopped working... im waiting for my mom to get home now so i can use her phone.. ugh the suspense is killing me.

Last edited:
Just make sure you sell the pointy guitars and Line 6 amps. You'll be manager before you know it.

lol, i was actually there like an hour before they called me looking for a potentiometer for my guitar (i was too chicken to ask a manager about my app at the time, so i went looking for a new tone knob - my current one just spins and spins because i think its detatched from itself on the inside), but i realized that the dudes behind the counter knew more than me for once when they asked what ohm i needed.. i honestly didnt even think of that... ive heard they've been trying to turn their image around lately, i just had to see it to believe it.

lol, i was actually there like an hour before they called me looking for a potentiometer for my guitar (i was too chicken to ask a manager about my app at the time, so i went looking for a new tone knob - my current one just spins and spins because i think its detatched from itself on the inside), but i realized that the dudes behind the counter knew more than me for once when they asked what ohm i needed.. i honestly didnt even think of that... ive heard they've been trying to turn their image around lately, i just had to see it to believe it.

Lol. Did you think all pots are the same? Maybe you'll learn some basics if you work there.

Back