Guitar/Amp Emulators

rozzy97

Hey guys! So I'm considering buying Guitar Rig Pro, there are so many options and it seems like a great deal. It also sounds great :) but anyway... My question is:

Does the quality of the guitar matter when recording the dry sound?

In other words, is the sound of the amp emulator affected by the quality of the guitar?

I hope it doesn't sound like a dumb question.

Alright guys, thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it :)

Just think of the signal route for Guitar Rig:

Input > Process > Output is basically: Guitar > Guitar Rig > DAW Track

The output of a process can only be as good as the input. So yes, better guitar quality would result in a better sound on GR. That said, you can cut out the hums or any other noice arising out of a bad guitar through some clever mixing.

My guitar and bass both are sub-400$ models and I'm extremely pleased with the sound from GR. You can also try using a DI box to get the best quality signal going into GR.

Just my amateur opinion of course !

I am using those as well, on a less than high end equipment. I would almost say, other than a "sound" I am starting to not use those effects and just using EQ, whatever effects I have and maybe some tube saturation to get what I am wanting. Just a thought.

guitar simulators are often dependant of the quality of the DI box, honestly a cheap DI will make it sound worse, get a Radial JDI and it will improve things massively, you'll get more headroom, and a much cleaner sound. Guitar rig is excellent software though, probably my favourite sounding out of them all, and I've really tried everything. I'll always prefer a real amp though but if that's not an option you can't go wrong with guitar rig!

Your sound is only as good as its weakest link. A great amp wouldn't sound its best with a terrible sounding guitar. Sims are no different.

Hey guys! So I'm considering buying Guitar Rig Pro, there are so many options and it seems like a great deal. It also sounds great :) but anyway... My question is:

Does the quality of the guitar matter when recording the dry sound?

In other words, is the sound of the amp emulator affected by the quality of the guitar?

I hope it doesn't sound like a dumb question.

Alright guys, thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it :)

I'll echo what's been said already - the weakest link will be the lowest common denominator in the recording. A cheap guitar will weigh down the potential of the recording's quality, but to what degree is debatable. If you don't play or perform many leads, and mostly just play chords, then as long as there's no buzzing a cheap guitar would suffice. That said, I recently replaced ALL my guitars with upper mid-range instruments and will never play a cheap guitar again. :p But if you can't afford it, then do the best with what you have and get better gear when the wallet warrants.

If you know anybody with a good to great guitar, see if you can borrow it or have them come over to play into your box in exchange for dinner or something. Then you'll have an observable answer. Just compare the good guitar with your other and use your ears. :D

Guitar pro is a great piece of software. you can get amazing tones. but if you a high-gain amp user i suggest you to get Pod farm instead of guitar rig! and yeah the quality depends on audio interface/di box you got!

You have to make music with the tools you have. Yes, a better guitar will probably do a better job, but there is no point in worrying about it if you can't go out and get a great one.

Even a cheap guitar that is working properly should get you in the ballpark and not keep you from writing a good song or making a listenable recording.

Alright thanks guys, we have a Radial Pro D1, I think that'll work well. Thanks a lot guys

Well, you are sorted then. But what Audio Interface are you using? Almost all AIs have a high impedance ("Z") input specifically for passive guitar.

If perchance people do not have such an input, e.g. a USB mixer, they can use any decent guitar pedal as a "buffer" even when the pedal effect is switched off. N.B. This only applies to pedals that are NOT of the ill-named "True Bypass" variety such as those by Boss and another (cough!) "famous" maker.

Dave.

Back