Guernica, Participant & Jamal Buchet Collab

great colab.... that's so cool. good singing and a VERY good line to sing to. Yeah...bucket head ...you're singing good. I like the guitar and drum sounds too. If the sibilence was gone, there wouldn't be much to pick at. I say bring the gtr solo up... hey!!!

one last head scratcher... Lately, I've been hearing some artifacts that either are the results of noise reduction or maybe even the mp3 encoding...and I've mentioned it in those particular threads. I want to say I hear a hint of that here too. Maybe it is the vocals with the effects on them...or the stacking of them. Kinda a hollow sound with a phasor that is stuck at times.

I'm hearin that too, mix... but that's really the only nit I've got w/it. G's bass is slammin... jamal poured out his heart in those vocals... chris' solo gets better each time I hear it... I'm thinkin it's on some of those triplets... he almost plays them too fast... but it works!

yeah baby yeah!!! i'm gonna go shop this around. you have a new agent!;)

I didn't care for the effected vocal right off the start. Maybe a little further in? The doubled vocals in the 1st verse seemed a bit out of place with the sparce arrangement during that section. Those are just nitpicky things. I usually don't listen to clinic tunes on my monitors (cause I'm lazy and the family doesn't care to hear me cranking tunes) but I fired up the system for this tune and I'm glad I did! It kicks ass!!!! This is thick!!!!

Greater yet!
Man those drums are killer,man!
Bass is Rockin,lead is Smokin!
Lead vocals are Fantastic,I totally dig the big build up.

I usually don't make too many critiques,I mean my stuff sucks in comparison!:D
But you guys want all comments it seems,hope it's cool!:)

I too didn't care for the effected vox in the intro.
Thought it sounded better before.
Mabey just lighten up on it?
The rythym guitar is a little too rough sounding,needs more warmth,and stereo when it breaks into the song.
Mabey wide pan,and lead stays where it is.
Outro is cool,can't really understand any of the words though,except forever.

This is a great song guys,with an awsome collab job!
Sounds really fine as it is,but were all here seeking perfection,right!:D

I really enjoyed it,thanks!

Pete

WOW!!

Incredible song. Production sounds great.

I agree, I hear hit song here. This is the kind of stuff I wish there was more of out there.

Geeezzz, I just realized how much work I have to do to figure out how to record something that sounds this good :(

Simply Awesome on all counts

IT'S AS DONE AS I CAN DO IT

Hey Guys...Sincere sincere sincere thanks for the quick help. It's the end of the weekend, but I'm oddly tired, LOL.

The past 3 hours or so, I tried to address most of what ya'll picked up on this version, and I'm sending the .wav file to Jamal via MSN Messenger (thank you Bill Gates for being a monopolistic genius).

I'm too burnt to do the name by name thing right now, and it's Jamal's job anyway :D, but I wanted to address a couple of things.

Mixmkr - The second chorus was inspired by you. I took some of the guitars from the last chorus and mixed them into the 2nd chorus in an attempt to KICK THE HELL OUT OF THE 2ND CHORUS. Great idea. The noise that you and chad are hearing is in the vocal track. Jamal has promised me NEVER to record reverb onto a vocal track again, lol. Once you compress that, well...you know. But just so you know...YES, IT'S IN THE .WAV FILE TOO...LOL.

Muzeman - Good ears on the gits...it's most harsh during the second chorus, b/c on 2 of the 4 guitars there, I hyped the mids A LOT...whole bunches. Maybe overdone :D Thanks.

The words at the end are intentionally unintelligible. I did those, and I will go to my grave taking the secret message with me. (or see below :D)

Guernica - I'm glad you don't hate it. LOL. I think it's a cool song too.

Alibish - I did a bunch of the stuff you mentioned, but I'm not touching that kick...LOVE IT!!!

Chad - I'm keeping that kick track. I have a feeling you'll be hearing the kick again in my songs.

For those of you who had questions about who was playing what, I'm posting a pic of the session. This is what it looked like AFTER I cleaned it up and consolidated some tracks. God, it was really a mess...LOL.

the words in the outro were (on one side) the track titles to a CD I got from "smuckinfart" last week (very cool, btw), and (on the other side) some Texas cities listed on the front of a phone book - those were the two things in front of me at the time

Attachments

• hurrah session.jpg
    hurrah session.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 234
OH..ONE MORE THING

TO EVERYBODY WHO HATED THE SOLO...lol...BUT KEPT ASKING FOR IT TO BE TURNED UP...IT IS NOW.... BAHAHAHahahahaha. And if you think I didn't try, just look at the pic above this post. That's the most spliced looking track I've ever seen .... HAHAHAahahaha... God, I'm a hack.

Love and Hugs,
-The Shredder :D

Great collab guys!
I like the song and everyones done a good job on their parts and you especially did a great job of pulling this collab together. very cool.....nice job.

wow....thank you so much you guys....at this point alot of these comments are about the killer job mike and chad and chris did so i wont go through them all but i will say..that this song sounded like this in my head and im glad some of my freinds here were cool enough to help me get that sound...i couldnt be happier with how this turned out.....chris and i stayed up till 4:00 am all weekend working on this ...well chris worked i just kept him company...mostly...but chad and mike fuckin came through in such a big way....(im pm-ing both of you guys)..to be so quick with theyre end ...fuck i listen to this and im just stunned....somewhere in all that fucking brilliance you can hear me ....but i have never heard a song of mine sound so spot on...i told chris to answer any "technical" responses....in reality if you count "man hours" this song is really more his than mine...and i have said over and over how much i appreciated it over this last weekend.....so ill say it once more here....

thanks chris
thanks chad
thanks mike......more than you you all can imagine..

and to evryone who took the time to help us out with all that great feedback..most of which made it onto the final cut as well as made it a MUCH BETTER SONG.....

sincerely
jamal

looks like i missed the cutoff for comments. oops. oh well, here's what i'd change:

1. nothing.

don't see why i wouldn't be hearing this on the radio one day.

great song. best of luck with it jamal.

I made it Chris.

I can't really add anything that has not already been said except that Outro is that good I would have had it as the intro as well.
You certainly can switch styles and at the risk of sounding a new creep I take my hat off to your talent. Whoops and of course Jamal, Chad and Mike.

Gerry.

A Wonderful Collab!

Clean and precise!
I can clearly hear everything and FX were used with taste!

Can someone fill me in on the urgency of getting this done?
I feel like I missed something!

5 star effort

Joel

Green Dude said:
I made it Chris.

Gerry.
HEY MAN! Welcome aboard. I didn't recognize you with the avatar, LOL. Just post about 246 more times, and you can bring the frog in.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out, and don't be a stranger.

Dang... this is very impressive guys. Recording quality/mix is good. Nice and even. I can't add much other than personal preference. And the song itself is pretty dern decent too.

I like it...

(well... except for that solo, of course...)

:D

WATYF

Yeah, this is considerably better than the early version from last week. I really like the song. A simple melody with some really nice words over the top. All you really need.

I'm going to stand alone and say I like the doubled vocals in the first verse. I still say double them all the way thru. But again, I'm alone on that one :D.

At about 3:44 I swear I hear either a pop or a drumsticks hitting each other. Anybody else hear it?

All four of you - great job. Top notch songwriting.

...You gotta love technology; this is what makes collaborations so cool. Very sweet tune. I haven't heard the original mix, so I can't make comparisons... The drums are thumping, mostly due to that kick drum - great tracking! I'd cut the 'click' a hair, or bring the level down a touch (I almost hate saying that, 'cause it sounds so sweet!). The cymbal work gets washed out in spots - but sound good overall... how was the drum kit recorded, and what mics were used? The guitars sound great, and sit well. The solo sounds good, and is just right level-wise... The vocals are bright, but sound OK that way; if a de-esser was utilized on the vocal, the level could come forward a tad - 'cause that is a great vocal delivery! The BG vocals lay a nice bed...The bass guitar could use some mid/upper mid, but it holds the bottom nicely... Guernica knows 'where, when, and how much', don't he?! Fine low line... I must say these are things that stood out to my ears, and I'm being VERY critical here. But I have to add, for balance, the song sounds great. Great performances by all of you guys. This tune holds its own with any signed alternative band out there. Collabs rule!

I really love the final mix.. the thing at 1:33 i mentioned with the main vox still didn't get changed but that's me being really nit-picky... I've listened to this tune probably 40 or more times. The musicianship in this project is simply stunning. Way to go Guys! Chris-Killer solo. thanks for bringing it up :D

P.S. What were the main Vox tracked with?

-Brent

Re: OH..ONE MORE THING

chrisharris said:
And if you think I didn't try, just look at the pic above this post. That's the most spliced looking track I've ever seen .... HAHAHAahahaha... God, I'm a hack.
Sorry chris... but if you think that's heavily edited, then you are sadly in need of a lesson in what real "heavy editing" is....

and I'm just the pathetic hack to give it to you. :cool:

This is what my gits look like after I'm done with em.... Keep in mind, these are not git solos... these are strummed/fingerpicked acoustic git tracks.

If you could zoom in on some of those areas, you would see strings of three or four (or ten, etc.) edits in a row.

Then... of course,... we have the crown jewel of my psychotic editing habits...

my vocal tracks.

VocalTrack.jpg

Now,... those aren't even my most hacked tracks. This is just the first PT session that I pulled up. I've got some more heavily butchered stuff from my songs that I did with n-Track, but I don't have that installed anymore, so I can't give you screenshots... :p

WATYF

Pretty cool of you to post that, WATYF.

In your defense, if that's a comp'd vocal, it's supposed to look like that, right?

Back