Grouping problem.

Hi everyone,

Giving grouping a go for the first time to see if it helps with my balancing/levelling as I just can't seem to get it right going track by track.

I'm hoping to get the guitars sitting right together... then the drum section sitting right together separately then bring either group up/down to sit nice as a whole.

I started by grouping all the guitars using Shift and click, then right clicked and chose Grouping parameters and selected master volume and this worked... when I moved one fader they all moved. Perfect!

I then did the same for the drum parts and again worked perfectly.

Problem was when I went back to the guitar group fader and tried to move it, the tracks were no longer grouped or I was able to move each guitar fader separately again.

When I look at the top of the guitar tracks I can see a red little icon, where as the drum groups have a green one.

The guitar group was green until I moved onto grouping the drums any ideas ?.

Thanks.

That's because Grouping doesn't affect the Fader, you're just Grouping the Items (not the Tracks) and I assume the fact that when you first Grouped them you had all of the Correct Tracks selected and therefore the Fader moved all the Tracks you wanted to move, but going back to your Group, doesn't select all the Tracks, because that's not how that works. You probably want to either put all of your Guitar Tracks into one Guitar Bus Track (Folder) or run them through a Seperate Guitar Bus Track. Folders are the easiest, you just drag all the Guitar Tracks into the Guitar Bus Track (Folder). Do the same with Drums/Bass etc.

Guitar Bus Track
|___Guitar Tracks

Drum/Bass Bus Track
|___Drum Tracks
|___Bass Track

That's because Grouping doesn't affect the Fader, you're just Grouping the Items (not the Tracks) and I assume the fact that when you first Grouped them you had all of the Correct Tracks selected and therefore the Fader moved all the Tracks you wanted to move, but going back to your Group, doesn't select all the Tracks, because that's not how that works. You probably want to either put all of your Guitar Tracks into one Guitar Bus Track (Folder) or run them through a Seperate Guitar Bus Track. Folders are the easiest, you just drag all the Guitar Tracks into the Guitar Bus Track (Folder). Do the same with Drums/Bass etc.

Guitar Bus Track
|___Guitar Tracks

Drum/Bass Bus Track
|___Drum Tracks
|___Bass Track
Hello, that makes sense is there any good guides you know of that cover this ?

Thanks.

Back