Group channel insert confusion.

Smoulders

Hi there.

I have a theoretical question here that has left me a bit confused after looking at a manual for the gsr24M mixer which shows the group channels as each having an insert point round the back.

Lets say you are sending several mono drum signals to a group channel on a hardware desk.
That group channel has an insert point. If you wanted to process the group channel through a stereo compressor and you used a standard insert cable from the 1 insert point on the group channel to the send and return on your patchbay you would surely only be able to feed the one channel of your compressor? Surely a group channel should have 2 insert points if it is capable of receiving a stereo signal?

Cheers

Nick

Groups are also mono. What you do is used one group as the left stereo (say group 1) and one group as the right Stereo (say group 2) by panning the group pan controls hard left and right, you pan the mono drum channels as you would like them to sound, panning towards the left would go to the left sub group and panning towards the right would go to the right subgroup.

You then insert the stereo compressor left side to group 1 and right side to group 2. Make sure that the stereo compressor has the link button pushed in if it's a 2 channel model with a stereo link, or there will be an image issue as the 2 sids of the compressor act different. A fixed stereo compressor is already linked.

Cheers
Alan.

Great stuff.

By overthinking about it I somehow bypassed this knowledge which was hidden somewhere in the back of my mind. Thanks alot for clearing that up!

Cheers

Smoulders

Back