Groove Tubes GT66

lucid

What do you guys think of this mic? I saw it in a shop here when i picked up my DMP3... I just fell in love with the way it looked. I'll probably start saving if you guys say it's a great mic. I know the price differences are huge, but how does it compare to a C1?
cheers...

lucid said:
What do you guys think of this mic? I saw it in a shop here when i picked up my DMP3... I just fell in love with the way it looked. I'll probably start saving if you guys say it's a great mic. I know the price differences are huge, but how does it compare to a C1?
cheers...

I like mine. It is very good for some singers. It is not a U47 or anything, but the cost/quality ratio is quite good.

Now if only I could afford a Vipre to go with it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I know the question was posted a while ago, but I thought I'd respond to it since now I've had my GT66 for a while, after having had a Rode NTK and auditioning several mics including the AT4040, TLM103, AKG Tube, Soundelux U195, and Brauner Phantom. My pick out of these is the GT66, for a solid, balanced, and thick tone that responds well to eq (using Speck ASC). I run the GT through Great River MP-2NV and Speck 5.0 mic pres, and it sounds wonderful. The mic is clean and clear, punchy in the mids which helps it sit well in the middle of the clutter of my music. I recommend the mic highly.

i had a GT66 for a while and i liked it a lot. since then i've gotten an NTK and i prefer its sound, but the GT66 is a really nice sounding midrange tube mic. my only complaint was that i really only liked it for vocals. as a room mic, or on acoustic it didn't sound as good. i like the NTK's versaitility a bit more.

Back