GREEN EYED LADY -Metal-ish version ??

BCF1

Thought I muck around with this song by Sugarloaf from 1970

Sugarloaf had an album version of about 7:00 and then a radio edit that was around 3:40 I think.

I originally did the entire 7:00 then decided to edit it a bit and ended up at 5:56 that can be heard here:

https://soundcloud.com/bcf-1/green-eyed-lady-re-mix

I don't know if it's the reduced bit rate needed to meet Soundcloud size limit or the compression they use but it effected the sound negitively. IMO

I then decided to edit it some more and this version clocked in at 5:17 It's this version I'd like to get some feedback on :

https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/25333997-green-eyed-lady

Thanks BCF1

Nice beefy guitar and bass sounds. Good playing. I'd drop the guitars during the vocals though. Don't know if you're panning the guitars to the center or double-tracking and hard-panning, but either way it's all over your vocal. Is that you on keys? Wow, impressive playing. I never could take the 7:00+ version of the the original, TBO. Five minutes is pushing it.

Very well done - This is an incredible enhancement without any "make it your own" stuff which annoys the crap out of me to be honest. I should clarify - what you've added is excellent and doesn't change the original feel by screwing around with vocals, etc etc.

The drums need some work - right now you're pushing the beat with the guitars/instruments and the drums are too "on time". They're fighting each other. I prefer the push...I love to push the beat, it makes it swing (if that makes sense).

I agree with Robus - maybe a fader ride on guitars during the vocal parts.

After growing up with the original I was cautiously pessimistic but this was excellent!

Nice beefy guitar and bass sounds. Good playing. I'd drop the guitars during the vocals though. Don't know if you're panning the guitars to the center or double-tracking and hard-panning, but either way it's all over your vocal. Is that you on keys? Wow, impressive playing. I never could take the 7:00+ version of the the original, TBO. Five minutes is pushing it.

I did 4 seperate guitar tracks: 98%L - 70%L - 70%R - 98%R but did no automation or level adjustments during vocal sections. I'll revisit that aspect.

Thanks !!!!

Very well done - This is an incredible enhancement without any "make it your own" stuff which annoys the crap out of me to be honest. I should clarify - what you've added is excellent and doesn't change the original feel by screwing around with vocals, etc etc.

The drums need some work - right now you're pushing the beat with the guitars/instruments and the drums are too "on time". They're fighting each other. I prefer the push...I love to push the beat, it makes it swing (if that makes sense).

I agree with Robus - maybe a fader ride on guitars during the vocal parts.

After growing up with the original I was cautiously pessimistic but this was excellent!

Thank you !!!!!!!

I like to push the beat guitar wise, so are you suggesting the drums should be pulled back a little before the beat instead of right on ???

Last edited:
Thank you !!!!!!!

I like to push the beat guitar wise, so are you suggesting the drums should be pulled back a little before the beat instead of right on ???

Exactly, it's an art getting the time just right to match your push so it is a bit of work, however, once you get one section it may be as easy as either cloning, or just updating the notes down the line with similar time settings.

90% of covers I hear just don't do it for me....They either didn't make it completely different, and a new take on a classic tune, or it is a poor facsimile. Actually was rocking on this one...

I would minimum halve the intro, With live guitars not sure that is an option now....love it, just way too long....Vox could be up a hair.....

This tune will be in my subconscious all day....

Guitar work is stellar....True to original version with enough of your own style to give it more than one listen... VERY RARE I give a cover a second listen other than a critique, but because it was a great rendition...

Great job.....

Bus the guitars together and duck the bus...easiest way to get the guitars to back off a bit from the vocals. :)
Sounds AMAZING. Guitar tones are epic!

Exactly, it's an art getting the time just right to match your push so it is a bit of work, however, once you get one section it may be as easy as either cloning, or just updating the notes down the line with similar time settings.

Gave it a shot and think it improved the swing feel a bit.......... a few other tweeks as well

90% of covers I hear just don't do it for me....They either didn't make it completely different, and a new take on a classic tune, or it is a poor facsimile. Actually was rocking on this one...

I would minimum halve the intro, With live guitars not sure that is an option now....love it, just way too long....Vox could be up a hair.....

This tune will be in my subconscious all day....

Guitar work is stellar....True to original version with enough of your own style to give it more than one listen... VERY RARE I give a cover a second listen other than a critique, but because it was a great rendition...

Great job.....

Thank you I appreciate the compliment and the critque !!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't shorten intro but I believe the vocal is better now throughout

Bus the guitars together and duck the bus...easiest way to get the guitars to back off a bit from the vocals. :)
Sounds AMAZING. Guitar tones are epic!

Thank you !!!!! I followed your suggestion and believe it had a possitive effect ..........awesome

Thanks again!!!

New Tweeked Mix if so inclinded to have another listen is here:

https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/25333997-green-eyed-lady

Much better - you're right it has that swing now :D
2 minor suggestions (up to you)
- comp the very last vocal chorus (use the previous one)
- the last part where the keys come back in...the keys are not as loud as they were in the solo. Not sure if they should be louder or not - again your choice.
Again performance is excellent!

It does indeed have the drum groove. A little variation on the solid snare 1/16ths at the beginning...
Really like where this went. Great job!

Pretty cool. You can tell some thought went into that. Its hard to do a cover, keep the vibe of the original and yet make it your own.

Good job. I like it. I didn't like your American Woman, no offense, but that's just me. It sort of reminded me of Pantera vocals which I hate lol. No offense again I'm not saying I can do any better, just a personal preference. There are a few bad pitchy vocals like when you say "Dressed in love" for example. Not sure I would worry about it since it's just a cover. Over all cool version and good job :D

Back