Great rhythm players.

Buck62 said:
Peter was an actor, musician, and Folk-singer when he auditioned for The Monkees.... but he didn't come close to Mike Nesmith's playing and songwriting abilities, IMHO.
Yes, Peter played both guitar and bass, but he certainly wasn't a super-star on either instrument.

Did you know that Mike Nesmith wrote the Top Ten song "Different Drum" for Linda Ronstadt & the Stone Ponies.
That's the song that kick-started her career as a singer!

The title of this thread is "Great Rhythm Players."
Is Peter Tork a well-known rhythm guitarist? That's news to me!

Never said he was a great rythm player...but you said mike was the only musician, and thats not the case. As to who is the better musician of the two? Well, thats just too subjective and too silly to debate.

64Firebird said:
Sorry Bdgr, I gotta go with Buck on this one. Nesmith was the only "REAL" musician in the monkeys. He also did he first Video Album (Elephant parts).
Peter made a living before and after the monkeys playing music. So how is Nesmith the only "Real" musician....nonsense.

Im going to add Randy Rhoades to the list...While he was a great soloist, it was his rhythm sections that made most of the songs.

Alex Lifeson too.

oh oh and... ah.....Chet Atkins, Clint Strong...too many to list..

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Im going to add Randy Rhoades to the list...While he was a great soloist, it was his rhythm sections that made most of the songs.

Alex Lifeson too.

oh oh and... ah.....Chet Atkins, Clint Strong...too many to list..

SoMm

Good call on lifeson. He did some amazing things, and never gets the credit he deserves.

Bdgr said:
Good call on lifeson. He did some amazing things, and never gets the credit he deserves.
Yeah, that's why I listed him earlier:
Originally posted by beaverbiscuit
Here's a big "hell yeah" for Alex Lifeson. He plays with so much range, tonally and stylistically, that it's staggering. One of my first guitar heroes back in the day.
So I agree with both of y'all, and myself. :p

Someone mentioned George and John, but how 'bout Paul? (I know that Wrangler listed "any Beatle except Ringo," but I thought I'd give props to Paul by name, since George and John got theirs.) He did some guitar work that was pretty good, too — "Blackbird" comes to mind, as does "Yesterday." Maybe not among the all-time greatest, but still. . . .

Here are some overlooked rhythmists:

Chan Kinchla (Blues Traveler)
Eric Schenkman (Spin Doctors)
Joni Mitchell
Jorma Kaukonen
Eric Johnson
Michael Dunford (Renaissance)

But like I said before, I could just start listing great guitarists in general. I just can't think of too many players who are strictly lead or strictly rhythm (B. B. King comes to mind), or who are adept at one and barely passable on the other. But I guess it's still kinda fun to list 'em, anyway. :D

I'm with you beaver! I spent 5 years learning to play The Who. Pete Townsend is a rarity, a rythym guitarist so good, they call him a lead guitarist. Frank Zappa also comes to mind, in a more jazz oriented sort of way.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
I'm with you beaver! I spent 5 years learning to play The Who. Pete Townsend is a rarity, a rythym guitarist so good, they call him a lead guitarist. Frank Zappa also comes to mind, in a more jazz oriented sort of way.-Richie
Thanks. I've never learned a Who song, but I know when I hear good stuff. Plus, if y'all ever get a chance to see it, his solo version of "Pinball Wizard" in The Secret Policeman's Ball. Check out his duet with classical guitarist John Williams on "Won't Get Fooled Again."

I'm not as aware of Zappa's work as I should be, but I remember reading something about his use of tone when playing live. It had to do with using a wah pedal as a tone-setter, and he would find the position he wanted and then leave it there, rather than rocking the pedal as is typical. The music I have heard is complex, and I'm guessing he was more than your typical rhythm guitarist.

Well, some of my all time favorite guitarist were great lead and rythym players...

Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Ritchie Blackmore

(I think I have always favored the one guitarist does it all type bands)

Oh yeah, John Lennon was a great rythym guitarist.

Eldon Shamblin....without a doubt....comping them big ole jazz sized chords ...4to 8 per bar at swing speed...

Lennon; I don't think there were many who had his balls to the wall style so early; also, check out 'All I've Got to Do.' It's almost reggae, and in 1963...
Richards: Gave sloppy rhythm a good name...
Townshend: Yeah. I like him better at rhythm than at lead;
Robbie Kreiger; Always loved the rhythm for 'Peace Frog.'
Page: I often like his rhythm playing better than his lead, especially when he'd use all these strange tunings he'd come up with.

Me....

:cool:

Back