Great rhythm players.

Jr Cobb with the Atlanta Rythym Section
I also think Clapton was a better rythym player than a soloist.

Buck62 said:
Michael Naismith (sp?) (...the Monkees guitarist was the only REAL musician of the group, and an excellent player)
Peter Tork was a real musician...even more so than nesmith.

I think a lot of the studio guys who work on other artists records are the real heroes of rhythm guitar. It's kind of like a well played bass part. It's there for support so you shouldn't notice it to much, but you should notice if someone takes it away...

But as far as artists go and without too much thought, some guys who do it their own way ...

Phil Manzanera
Mark Knopfler
Dave Gilmour

Would Michael Hedges count as a rhythm player? If so, count me in for him.

Hetfield
Bettencourt
George Lynch
Zakk Wylde
Diamond/Dimebag/Dimestore Darryl
Jake E. Lee
Iommi
EVH
Whoever happens to record any good Vivaldi guitar stuff
The brothers Young

I don't know if these are my very favourites, but they first come to mind...

hmmmmmmmmm

* Brad Whitford (Aerosmith)
* Frank Black (Pixies)
* Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
* Izzy Stradlin (Guns N Roses)
* Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
* The Edge (U2)

Peace...

PC

Alright, most of these have already been listed - except for the last one:

Keith Richards
Malcome Young
J. Geils
Pete Townsend
Mark Knopfler
Billy Gibbons
Paul Stanley
Edward VanHalen
me

Dreams of the Carrion Kind...

James Murphy, probably one of the most underated doom-tuners out there. Formerly of Obituary, Death, Cancer, Disincarnate, and I believe...still in Testament???...great on rythm and lead.

I really like Eldon Shamblin. He was a monster. Leo Fender gave him one of the prototypes to the Fender Stratocaster. He's also in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

I got to agree with Malcolm Young. So basic but so great...

Chuck Berry was a great rhythm player as were John Lennon and George Harrison from the Beatles.

Ahh well, I'm sitting here listenin to Big Sugar, and Gordie is a wicked all around musician, not just simply a rythm player or soloist, or vocalist. So yea, he is a great rythm player :D.

Oh yes, his control of feedback and how he uses it is something else, this is what sets him apart from all the other guitar players (rythm) that I like to listen too. This is also why I stick him in this list. And apparently I'm dyslexic or something when it comes to spelling the word rythm. ;).

Bdgr said:
Peter Tork was a real musician...even more so than nesmith.

Peter was an actor, musician, and Folk-singer when he auditioned for The Monkees.... but he didn't come close to Mike Nesmith's playing and songwriting abilities, IMHO.
Yes, Peter played both guitar and bass, but he certainly wasn't a super-star on either instrument.

Did you know that Mike Nesmith wrote the Top Ten song "Different Drum" for Linda Ronstadt & the Stone Ponies.
That's the song that kick-started her career as a singer!

The title of this thread is "Great Rhythm Players."
Is Peter Tork a well-known rhythm guitarist? That's news to me!

Buck62 said:
Peter was an actor, musician, and Folk-singer when he auditioned for The Monkees.... but he didn't come close to Mike Nesmith's playing and songwriting abilities, IMHO.
Yes, Peter played both guitar and bass, but he certainly wasn't a super-star on either instrument.

Did you know that Mike Nesmith wrote the Top Ten song "Different Drum" for Linda Ronstadt & the Stone Ponies.
That's the song that kick-started her career as a singer!

The title of this thread is "Great Rhythm Players."
Is Peter Tork a well-known rhythm guitarist? That's news to me!

Sorry Bdgr, I gotta go with Buck on this one. Nesmith was the only "REAL" musician in the monkeys. He also did he first Video Album (Elephant parts).

Back