Great interview with Michael Omartian ( Who the hell is Michael Omartian? )

I got into Michael back in '87. I got two albums of his, "White Horse" and "Adam Again." Both fantastic, especially the former.

I like the faces he makes when talking about the chord changes...chord pairings. In Aja, "I run to >you-hoo<". The nerve! But he can do that because he was the one who was asked to play it. Of course he is right, the change a bit strange and discordant, but it works, beautifully. Beautiful song & record, epic.

Apologies Mr. Fagan, word has it you're a particular sort. Is it you-hoo, or you-who, or you-oo, or...? :o

Guess who has a feature article about him on CNN.com.

Who the hell is Michael Omartian?
It was a good interview......if you happen to be into Steely Dan or Christopher Cross. If not, then........
OK, he mentions Rod Stewart in an offhand way and Peter Cetera.
He barely covers anything else Michael has done. If you really think about it, it's not exactly earth-shattering, interviewing a guy who was a session keyboardist on a few songs by a band that was big for a few years. You'd never know from this interview that Omartian had recorded his own albums. Or produced tons of albums by loads of well-known artists.
I like Rick and I'm not one of those that goes about playing the popular sport of Beato huntin'. He does good stuff and some really good interviews....but this one was incomplete, big time. It was a bit like interviewing someone that has been married for 70 years and only asking him about where he bought the engagement ring ! :cautious:

Good point @grimtraveller. Luckily I'm really into Steely Dan.

Also the point of the interview may be that those were the projects that allowed Michael to become well-known among musicians back in the day. Maybe.

Otherwise, I agree, it's quite incomplete. But then you can't cover that much in an hour, anecdotes and all.

Back