Got a nice CAB. I should be happy right?

CyanJaguar

I just got a marshall 1960B cab loaded with gt75s and 2 Classic lead 80s in an x pattern from a real nice guy. I also got a good deal.

But I am not quite sure I like it. I was looking for a more vintage more, crunchy sound, but this seems to be more bassy and a little dull in the mids. Of course I am coming from a cab that had noticeably pronounced mids.

What's up? Is this a good combination?

do I want vintage 30s or should I just eq the sound till I am happy?

What type of head are you using? The gt75's are usually replaced by guys wanting a "vintage" sound. I use greenback reissues in mine. It's noticably "flatter" sounding than stock. Not as scooped or shrill. However when I tested it next to my friends stock gt75 cab, mine was quite louder. Not sure why...more efficient maybe. But it will definitly crunch if you want it to.

goldtopchas said:
What type of head are you using? The gt75's are usually replaced by guys wanting a "vintage" sound. I use greenback reissues in mine. It's noticably "flatter" sounding than stock. Not as scooped or shrill. However when I tested it next to my friends stock gt75 cab, mine was quite louder. Not sure why...more efficient maybe. But it will definitly crunch if you want it to.

Yes, I noticed that the 1960b was not the most efficient cab out there. That is one of the reasons I got it so I can get more juice out of my tube poweramp.

I use a rocktron progap or marshall 9001 into the mesa 20/20

I got to crank it on sunday and it sounds sweet but it still lacks some of the midrange raunch of the v30

Back