Google Chrome users?

I want something that will check my connection speed, to rule that out as the problem. What I'm asking is, if my pc is running slow, will that affect the results of a connection speed check?

Google 'broadband speedtest' and check with a a few different services.
Speedtest.net is one, as Jimmy mentioned.

I'm suggesting taking an average because I went to fibre a few days ago and get consistent readings ranging between 70mbps+90mbps depending which test I use.

Use at will almighty Google...if my web browsing and e-mails help support the beast so be it...I don't see a dime coming out of my bank account or pocket and with ad block I'm not being bothered by ads...am I missing something here?
Is there something bad about them using mine and the other 300 million people that collectively do on average about 2 billion google searches each day?

Actually no. I think you so get it. You are getting something in exchange for something (data). I agree with you, some of the tools they provide are really good. Hell just their search engine is great. Most folks are unaware, they have huge server farms all over the world.

I want something that will check my connection speed, to rule that out as the problem. What I'm asking is, if my pc is running slow, will that affect the results of a connection speed check?

It shouldn't really affect the download speed of your speedtest (use speedtest.net) but it might affect your ping and upload speed. How old is your computer?

I actually had an issue recently where I had to manually set my office computer internet link speed, as something got weird. I had sudden speed issues even with the high speed internet connection. This may have been due to a switcher going bad tho as it failed soon after. Then so did the PC altogether... :(

That was in Device Manager>Network Adapters>Right click on card listed>Properties. I had to select 100 Mbps instead of Auto Negotiation.

Something you could try, as you can always set it back if it does you no good.

Polarity here was the guy that led me to that fix. Maybe PM him with your issue. He is a great dood and would surely lend you some help if you offer some candy. lol! Or a thank you.

:)

Actually no. I think you so get it. You are getting something in exchange for something (data). I agree with you, some of the tools they provide are really good. Hell just their search engine is great. Most folks are unaware, they have huge server farms all over the world.

I'm a google fan...Was lucky enough to be invited to a marketing / seo training seminar they put on in Irvine a few years back and got all kinds of freebies... Also have a friend who worked for them and wife still does...been on the campus up in Frisco.......bizarre and very cool atmosphere.

Fun little fact I picked up at the seminar...Google is the third largest manufacturer of servers in the world...and they only make them for themselves. That there is some redundant storage.

I'm a google fan...Was lucky enough to be invited to a marketing / seo training seminar they put on in Irvine a few years back and got all kinds of freebies... Also have a friend who worked for them and wife still does...been on the campus up in Frisco.......bizarre and very cool atmosphere.

Fun little fact I picked up at the seminar...Google is the third largest manufacturer of servers in the world...and they only make them for themselves. That there is some redundant storage.

Yea, I was aware of that, probably got their engineers from Sun when Oracle bought them out (or before). Sun (and Cray) built some fine machines. I heard Google's machine are beasts that is why the build their own, no compromises.

Google 'broadband speedtest' and check with a a few different services.
Speedtest.net is one, as Jimmy mentioned.

I'm suggesting taking an average because I went to fibre a few days ago and get consistent readings ranging between 70mbps+90mbps depending which test I use.

OK, so I just did Speedtest, and I got a download of 16.21 and an upload of 1.08! I have cable, not fiber, which ought to be good enough, but I'm assuming that if those numbers are right, something's wrong. Oh, and I am on wifi, not ethernet to the router. Should I plug in to the modem to see if that changes anything? I guess it could be the wireless, even though I've reset and re-powered many times.

It shouldn't really affect the download speed of your speedtest (use speedtest.net) but it might affect your ping and upload speed. How old is your computer?

My pc is pretty old, that's why I'm trying to determine whether it's the connection or the pc. AMD Phenom triple core, 4M DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 9200 (which is where I suspect the problem might lie). Vista 64.

Definitely try plugging straight into the modem. I have had cheap wireless routers go bad myself. They have always just quit altogether tho.

What Jimi said...you have to first test direct from modem then from the router... Had a dlink go south on me a few months ago it lasted probably 5 years..Tried Asus this time cheap and works...for now

My pc is pretty old, that's why I'm trying to determine whether it's the connection or the pc. AMD Phenom triple core, 4M DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 9200 (which is where I suspect the problem might lie). Vista 64.

So probably about 7ish years old? That's usually approaching the point in a pc's life where it really starts to slow down.

---------- Update ----------

OK, so I just did Speedtest, and I got a download of 16.21 and an upload of 1.08! I have cable, not fiber, which ought to be good enough, but I'm assuming that if those numbers are right, something's wrong. Oh, and I am on wifi, not ethernet to the router. Should I plug in to the modem to see if that changes anything? I guess it could be the wireless, even though I've reset and re-powered many times.

Yeah you'll want to plug it directly into the modem just to be sure. The fact that your upload is so low compared to your download tells me it's probably your computer.

Upload speed is usually substantially slower unless you have like a business class connection or something. That 1 Mbps up speed is pretty consistent with what I've gotten over the years with a cable connection, maybe a bit slower. Time Warner keeps slowing down the download speed, so that people will pay for their "turbo" speeds (just to get download speed back to where it used to be years ago).

I'll have Google Fiber installed by this spring, so I'm ready to say goodbye to throttled speeds.

Time Warner cable. Can't get fiber here, so there's really no alternative. Hopefully soon I'll be back home and on Comcast again, not that I know they're any better. I just hate to have to drag the pc into the living room to hook it up to the modem.

Back