Good shred guitars

musicsdarkangel

I want to look for my perfect guitar. I will eventually get a blues/jazz guitar, most likely a Gretch or tele, but for now, I want to stick to a shredder.

The only guitar I've ever played that was perfect for me was a Nuno Bettencourt model, unfinished, only 400, but it was sold that day and I couldn't buy it.

Are all Nuno models this good?

anyway, share your guitars!

p.s. please don't mention the Vai model, I don't like Vai, or his model.

If you want a shredder guitar.. see if you can find a used American Charvel... or an American Jackson... (some of them are going real cheap these days). How about the Ibanex older (late 80's early 90's) RG series... [the non-Vai models]. Also look for some used strat style Hammers... they are also real shredder

Good luck

Shred

musicsdarkangel said:
The only guitar I've ever played that was perfect for me was a Nuno Bettencourt model, unfinished, only 400, but it was sold that day and I couldn't buy it.

Are all Nuno models this good?

Yup..There is one at www.guitarden.com They play like budda..every one of them that I've played was pretty much the same...good luck

For shredders at reasonable prices, I tend to stick with the Ibanez RG line. You can pick them up new at great prices here: BP Music Ibanez

You might want to look into the Peavey Wolfgang series as well. The necks on those are asymetrical & one of the best neck carves I've played. I'm currently playing an Ernie Ball MM Petrucci model which is an excellent shredder similiar to Ibanez but pricey.

I've got a black Ibanez RG in great condition that I've been meaning to sell. I bought an LP and just don't play it anymore. It has a great neck and jumbo frets for shredding. I'm not sure what it's worth but probably in the $3-400 range. If you're interested send me a private message through this site.

I've got 2 of the cheap Nunos (N2) and 1 of the expensive ones (N4).
All of them from '95-'96
They are all great guitars. I haven't played a Nuno-model that wasn't great, which indicates to me that Washburn made those pretty consistantly (<- spelling??)
As for other guitars, I'd have to jump in on the Ibanez RG series too. They are great shredders, BUT they have a very different feel to them, than the Nunos. They have a little thinner neck, a little wider neck etc. A different feel to them.
Jacksons (the few of them that I've played) seem to be more similar to the Nunos in terms of feel...

I've got a Charvel Model 6 (1986/87?) that I love. I still play it a lot and I highly recommend this if you run across one.

Telecaster!

...oops, I always liked the Ibanez necks, the ones that were as thick as a piece of paper, always super easy to play fast on.

zyx345 said:
For shredders at reasonable prices, I tend to stick with the Ibanez RG line. You can pick them up new at great prices here: BP Music Ibanez

You might want to look into the Peavey Wolfgang series as well. The necks on those are asymetrical & one of the best neck carves I've played. I'm currently playing an Ernie Ball MM Petrucci model which is an excellent shredder similiar to Ibanez but pricey.

Exactly...I too have an Ernie Ball MM (Mystic Dream)...loved it above all the others...then, I picked up a nicely priced Peavey Wolfgang...damn! Killer guitar...excellent neck with great sound.

jackson guitars always came with the best setups from the factory. now that fender owns them i don't know what to expect. the nuno models never did anything for me, but a lot of used shredder guitars can be had for little money nowdays. just watch out for bad plating/hardware oxidization on ibanez's. they were always the worst of the bunch, but any guitar consistantly put away with sweat all over the bridge can be bad.

Like others, I have to say go for an Ibanez RG. Thin wide necks, can be set up for super light action, if looks matter they have that heavy metal/goth look. Even with stock pickups the sound pretty decent. Something like a used RG170 can often be found for $100-$150, I have a '92 RG170 that I picked up for $125 and think it was money well spent.

I have never found a guitar that is easier to shred on than an Ibanez RG. The necks are really comfortable for fast playing, they balance well, the body is contoured pretty nicely for how thick it is. Jacksons necks are a bit thicker (from my experience, which is limited with Jacksons though very thorough with Ibanezs) but are still very fast and similar to the RGs. I did not care for the quality of the cheaper Jacksons at all, they simply did not compare to the even cheaper Ibanezs though the higher end Jacksons are very good. ESP also has some very good shredders, and their necks are a bit thicker than both jackson and ibanez but they also are a little sterile sounding in their cheaper models.
Depending on your price range, if you want to stay around 400 I'd suggest looking at an Ibanez RG (maybe an S if you want a really thin body and a look that is further from the Steve Vai models), or perhaps a used MIA Jackson.

Hey I have a late 80's Charvel Randy Rhoads V (black on black) that I would be willing to part with. It has a super fast neck, and a low quick action. It is by all means a pure shred guitar. It has new knobs, a new switch and jack. It plays and sounds great. I would let it go to someone on this board for 3 bills...

Rg-270

I've had 8-10 guitars over the last few years. I'd buy one, try it a while then end up selling it. One that I haven't sold is my Ibanez RG-270. I gotta tell ya...this is a very inexpensive guitar, but if you mod it just right, you'll not find a better shredder out there. The 80's - early 90's RG are stock with Wizard necks and these necks are known shredders. I replaced the crappy stock pups with EMG's (HZ's) and now its a killer. You can usually find an RG on ebay for around $150 -$200. Spend about $50 bucks more modding it and you'll marry the thing. Remember to BLOCK the tremelo!!

Yes, the ibanez S-series would probably be good too. They have the same neck as the RG's with a more contoured body and a much fancier bridge which you should really read up on (ZR tremolo).

Back