Good Laptop for Audio Recording

thanks fo the answer ..
may you tell me the specs of your laptop, how much did you pay it and the sample rate that it can handle without clipping ?

It's an Intel i7 quad core processor. I specified Windows 7 Professional, 16GB of RAM and 2 internal 500MB 7200rpm drives. I also specified an ExpressCard socket--I needed Firewire and this was the most convenient way I could get it on a laptop. Finally, for my own reasons I specified the high capacity battery--I get around 7 hours continuous battery life.

I paid just under $1800 Australian dollars--what that translates to in other currencies depends on the exchange rate. However, as I said, this was about 18 months ago so I'm not sure if prices are up or down since then.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with you question on sample rates/clipping. I only ever record at 44.1 or 48 kHz sample rates and clipping is a function of the signal level, not the sample rate. However, if it's useful, my system can record and playback 32 simultaneous tracks and, when I first received the laptop, I did a 3 hour test which recorded without a glitch and played back fine.

When mixing, the capacity is determined by how many real time effects I use--but I frequently mix 24+ tracks with at least some effects and this has not ever proved to be a problem. I should say that I can set my buffer size quite large--my monitoring is handled externally to the laptop so latency isn't an issue for me.

One of the attractions of Lenovo for me was that I could go online and discuss system options live with a knowledgeable person. I had a couple such sessions sorting out the best basic computer and best options for me. It might be worth having a discussion with them and see what they can offer even if you don't buy.

i use my MacBook Pro. Never have any problems with freezing, rarely problems with latency, and my mac always works, never freezes. I switched to mac in 2001 and haven't looked back. They may cost a little more but they are truly superior in everyway to thier equally priced PC's. Apple support always treats me with respect and I'm always talking to a person in a few minutes from the time i call. My friend uses the G series desktops for massive photo editing. My first Mac was a G4. They are reliable, very user friendly, stable, computers. I'm a computer tech, software/hardware support IT and I understand why Mac users are so adamant about keeping their Macs.

i use my MacBook Pro. Never have any problems with freezing, rarely problems with latency, and my mac always works, never freezes. I switched to mac in 2001 and haven't looked back. They may cost a little more but they are truly superior in everyway to thier equally priced PC's. Apple support always treats me with respect and I'm always talking to a person in a few minutes from the time i call. My friend uses the G series desktops for massive photo editing. My first Mac was a G4. They are reliable, very user friendly, stable, computers. I'm a computer tech, software/hardware support IT and I understand why Mac users are so adamant about keeping their Macs.

Meh. I've used both and never found any big difference in stability.

The biggest difference is that a Mac keeps itself stable with its tight control on hardware and software you can use but this control comes at the expense of money and flexibility. A Windows machine can be just as stable but relies on your common sense to not load it up with junk. If you're willing to put in that effort, then you can get more machine for your money. If you want it done for you, buy a Mac.

Either can and will do the job without problems of freezing or latency and anyone evangelising too hard from either direction is like a religious zealot.

Meh. I've used both and never found any big difference in stability.

The biggest difference is that a Mac keeps itself stable with its tight control on hardware and software you can use but this control comes at the expense of money and flexibility. A Windows machine can be just as stable but relies on your common sense to not load it up with junk. If you're willing to put in that effort, then you can get more machine for your money. If you want it done for you, buy a Mac.

Either can and will do the job without problems of freezing or latency and anyone evangelising too hard from either direction is like a religious zealot.

^^^ Concur. Macs are easier, but you get more processor/ram for the same price with PC...and some will argue that fact, too.

I agree with Bobbsy. Get a good computer, you will have a good computer. The OS'es are pretty stable, by high grade components and you should have little issues.

Speaking of OS'es, a new DAW maker Bitwig has a Linux version. Maybes other will follow.

I just got a Dell laptop, i5 windows 8 , the only thing Ive done so far is add some more memory for a total of 12gb. I am still getting use to 8 but my interface synced right up and everything has been stable so far running 27tracks with the minimum of eq and compression on all tracks
using reaper.

Cost of computer 499.00 extra ram 75.00.

You absolutely do not have to spend even close to a grand to get a system that will work just fine.
Macs are awesome but you cant really upgrade the newer ones and if you do and screw it up your fucked!

You absolutely do not have to spend even close to a grand to get a system that will work just fine.
Macs are awesome but you cant really upgrade the newer ones and if you do and screw it up your fucked!

Which it true for people who use Windows, it is just we've known this forever. :D

Back