Good/Cheap cassette deck for tape transfers

Actually, a three head deck will have a slight advantage in playback because the dedicated play head doesn't have to be compromised like a combo record/play head. The gap can be optimized for playback.

When manufacturers of cassette decks first started offering models with 3-heads this may have been the case, but advances in head design (particularly by Tascam) made this a non-issue long ago. Same for the latest open reel decks. The distinction between record and repro heads became insignificant. But that's because the record heads became that much better... equal to and even surpassing performance of older repro heads.

There was something wrong with the Tascam deck, so I purchased the Technics RS B50 that Dave recommended. It's in silver, though, not black. Hope this is a good deck...

Which Tascam deck did you have problems with, 102 MKII?

It even has dbx Type II to harken back to the good old days!
Makes your home listening/mixdown tapes pin-drop quiet!
Dbx not compatible with the outside world, but that's nothing new. ;):yawn:
:spank::eek:;)

Cool. It's good to transfer from tape to the PC, too, I hope? I need it for that more than listening.

---------- Update ----------

Which Tascam deck did you have problems with, 102 MKII?

Yes. I shouldn't say problems...just some issues with the build of it that I didn't like.

I always thought the 102 was a bit cheap
I've had a 112 for over 20 years in frequent use.
It finally gave out and the idler tires, broke up. I have a full replacement set of rubber and once installed, I wouldnt doubt, I'll get many more years of use out of it. It's a very solid, robust machine.
You can get them dirt cheap since the demise of the cassette format. Ive seen nice clean machines for less than a hundred bucks.

I always thought the 102 was a bit cheap
I've had a 112 for over 20 years in frequent use.
It finally gave out and the idler tires, broke up. I have a full replacement set of rubber and once installed, I wouldnt doubt, I'll get many more years of use out of it. It's a very solid, robust machine.
You can get them dirt cheap since the demise of the cassette format. Ive seen nice clean machines for less than a hundred bucks.

It is cheap as in inexpensive. I have two of them for years now. One I bought new and a second one used later. The 102 MKII is likely the least expensive deck Tascam made that I know of, but in my experience excellent performance and specs. Fits the bill nicely for the OP's original "Good/Cheap cassette deck for tape transfers." It out specs the original Tascam 122 by miles, but a cassette deck is an individual thing. People have different ideas.

Mine work great and sound great.

When manufacturers of cassette decks first started offering models with 3-heads this may have been the case, but advances in head design (particularly by Tascam) made this a non-issue long ago. Same for the latest open reel decks. The distinction between record and repro heads became insignificant. But that's because the record heads became that much better... equal to and even surpassing performance of older repro heads.

As I understood it at the time the optimum gap was different for record and playback. Maybe that changed later.

It is cheap as in inexpensive. I have two of them for years now. One I bought new and a second one used later. The 102 MKII is likely the least expensive deck Tascam made that I know of, but in my experience excellent performance and specs. Fits the bill nicely for the OP's original "Good/Cheap cassette deck for tape transfers." It out specs the original Tascam 122 by miles, but a cassette deck is an individual thing. People have different ideas.

Mine work great and sound great.

Yes, it definitely fit the bill and i appreciate the recommendation, but the build bothered me. Maybe it's ocd or something, but a cheap feeling build bugs me. I'd rather get an older deck that's studier or go over budget. I hope the one Dave recommended is built better and has good specs. I'm not even sure what specs to look at (freq range?). It should arrive soon, so we will see!

Back