Goddamn

Status
Not open for further replies.
If those 11,000 people killed deserve attention what about these 400,000 people killed by something other than guns? A 10% reduction in that number would still save almost 4 times as many people.

A New, Evidence-based Estimate of Patient Harms Associated w... : Journal of Patient Safety

But efforts ARE made to cut those deaths. You have to pass a test and hold a licence to drive a car. There are laws about seat belts and air bags in cars, helmets on bikes, protective gear in factories, etc. etc.

However the other big difference is that most of these other life risks have a purpose beyond the risk. The only function of a gun is to shoot things.

That's some fucked up terrible shit. The shooter perspective footage almost looks like a 1st person shoot-em-up video game. The guy is a former news person, so he's uniquely aware of how live news feeds work, not that it takes a rocket scientist. He raises his gun as the live feed camera man films the interview. Live feed pans right to film a location shot. Shooter lowers weapon, because he wants the act filmed and broadcast live. Live feed camera starts filming the interview again, he again raises the weapon and starts blasting away.

Young woman was 24 years old, held such promise. Even at her young age she was going back to the college from which she graduated to mentor young journalism students. The camera man, 27, his fiance had just came into possession of the dress for their upcoming wedding. She was also employed at WDBJ and reportedly was watching the live feed in the station control room.

Sad beyond belief. Makes my heart ache.

But efforts ARE made to cut those deaths. You have to pass a test and hold a licence to drive a car. There are laws about seat belts and air bags in cars, helmets on bikes, protective gear in factories, etc. etc.

However the other big difference is that most of these other life risks have a purpose beyond the risk. The only function of a gun is to shoot things.

That's why I suggested a 10% reduction as a reasonable goal and a fair comparison to guns. Also, our medical system is still beholden to moneyed interests like pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. To make money on a drug it has to be patented. Patented drugs tend to be more toxic than non-patented ones because they can't be naturally occurring. Insurance tends to pay for drug treatment and other mainstream medical procedures even when there are more effective, less risky and less invasive options that aren't part of the mainstream medical orthodoxy. Whatever good medical treatment does doesn't automatically justify all those deaths. A mere 3% reduction would save a thousand more people than are lost to guns. But we shouldn't bother because medical treatment helps some people?

That's some fucked up terrible shit. The shooter perspective footage almost looks like a 1st person shoot-em-up video game. The guy is a former news person, so he's uniquely aware of how live news feeds work, not that it takes a rocket scientist. He raises his gun as the live feed camera man films the interview. Live feed pans right to film a location shot. Shooter lowers weapon, because he wants the act filmed and broadcast live. Live feed camera starts filming the interview again, he again raises the weapon and starts blasting away.

Young woman was 24 years old, held such promise. Even at her young age she was going back to the college from which she graduated to mentor young journalism students. The camera man, 27, his fiance had just came into possession of the dress for their upcoming wedding. She was also employed at WDBJ and reportedly was watching the live feed in the station control room.

Sad beyond belief. Makes my heart ache.

Unless someone reported that guy to the law, the feds, etc. that he was mentally disturbed. There is no system in the world that would have caught that. He (the shooter) was a respectable person in the community, until recently, a reporter for the local station, well educated, looked like a typical middle class guy. Nothing except not allowing guns to be purchased would have caught that. Everyone can say what they want, that would be the only way to have stopped that.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I wasn't the airplane that won the war, it was the bomb. You can deliver one of those without an airplane. But you still couldn't control armed citizens.

Actually, it was the USSR declaring war on Japan. Telling a bunch of war ministers that an event happened in a large city didn't express anything they would wrap their heads around in 1945. Telling them that one of the countries with the largest army on the planet just joined the fight against them was something they could wrap their heads around.

there is no constitutional right to own and drive a car.. that the other difference.

I tend to agree. If you don't like it here, then there are plenty of countries to immigrate to that have strict gun laws, like France. you can arrive at your final destination via bullet train, but make sure you are sitting next to a red blooded America to defend you... :laughings:

Man, you continually make my points for me.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I wasn't the airplane that won the war, it was the bomb. You can deliver one of those without an airplane. But you still couldn't control armed citizens.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

The airplane had to deliver the bomb. I know your natural tendency is to just disagree with me because I'm me, but you gotta do better than this.

You can't control armed citizens with an atomic bomb? Really? Can they still shoot after they've been turned into a vapor or burned to a crisp?

The airplane had to deliver the bomb. I know your natural tendency is to just disagree with me because I'm me, but you gotta do better than this.

You can't control armed citizens with an atomic bomb? Really? Can they still shoot after they've been turned into a vapor or burned to a crisp?

Vietnam is the perfect example. If you are unwilling to use nuclear arms to defeat an enemy, an enemy that is defending his homeland, and has a third world birth rate compared to our first world birth rate of 2.3 children per household, then no you cannot control an armed population if they want "it" more than you do. (I don't know whose point I'm making by the way..:D )

Vietnam is the perfect example. If you are unwilling to use nuclear arms to defeat an enemy, an enemy that is defending his homeland, and has a third world birth rate compared to our first world birth rate of 2.3 children per household, then no you cannot control an armed population if they want "it" more than you do. (I don't know whose point I'm making by the way..:D )

Nonsense. Vietnam is a perfect example of a war lost because it was run by politicians. Our military was not allowed be what it is. Fight for days and spend many lives to take a mountain and then abandon it so the enemy can re-occupy? That's dumbfuckery. That's politician logic. I'm not flag waving. I'm not a hoo-rah war monger. But I do believe that if you are going to enter a war, you fight the fucking war like a war. Destroy everything and stick around to make sure it stays destroyed. Our Greatest Generation didn't storm the beach at Normandy, call it a day, and then leave. They pressed on and kept fighting. Vietnam was not fought that way.

Even in a hypothetical fantasy world, you'd have to be a fool to think that a bunch of fat americans with hunting weapons, handguns, and no training could stave off the US military with an actual objective to conquer the people. Being a redneck paintball warrior on weekends doesn't count as actual war.

Nonsense. Vietnam is a perfect example of a war lost because it was run by politicians. Our military was not allowed be what it is. Fight for days and spend many lives to take a mountain and then abandon it so the enemy can re-occupy? That's dumbfuckery. That's politician logic. I'm not flag waving. I'm not a hoo-rah war monger. But I do believe that if you are going to enter a war, you fight the fucking war like a war. Destroy everything and stick around to make sure it stays destroyed. Our Greatest Generation didn't storm the beach at Normandy, call it a day, and then leave. They pressed on and kept fighting. Vietnam was not fought that way.

Even in a hypothetical fantasy world, you'd have to be a fool to think that a bunch of fat americans with hunting weapons, handguns, and no training could stave off the US military with an actual objective to conquer the people. Being a redneck paintball warrior on weekends doesn't count as actual war.

A determined population can do amazing things. To start with they can infiltrate the military, they can hack computers, they can steal guns, ammo, rocket launchers, tanks, humvees, boats. They can do suicide missions and kill many soldiers or even take down iconic skyscrapers with nothing but a box cutter and a plane ticket.

All one has to do is look at the civilian population and insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan to see what Joe Sixpack is capable of when he is pissed and armed.
ISIS = pissed off Arab Joe Sixpacks
The very start of our own USA was some poor peasant farmers armed with outdated hunting rifles rebelling against the British crown. That pitted this pathetic make shift "army" of farmers against the greatest organized and battle hardened war machine in the world at the time.

It should have been a cake walk for the Red coats.
The poor pathetic rag tag army of peasant farmers kicked their asses slap out of America.

Last edited:
Very true about determination: I'm going to infiltrate my beer fridge, hack off the bottle caps and take down a six pack until there's no beer left.

Very true about determination: I'm going to infiltrate my beer fridge, hack off the bottle caps and take down a six pack until there's no beer left.

I like your way of thinking! :drunk: It's 5o'clock somewhere. As a matter of fact, I am going to have to stop posting after a few more raids on fridge hill.

All wars are ran by politicians. Who else would want a war? Not the people who have to fight them. But people will fight for an idea the believe in.

There is no point of having a war if you destroy everything. That is why Russia and the US never went to war. Plus, you can deliver a bomb without an airplane. It was the bomb man, the bomb. It just happened to be delivered by an airplane, it was convenient.

Here is what I want to believe:

But I don't, therefore I want to be able to own a gun.

I've been defending it so hard, I now have to go out and guy one. Man they are expensive.

I believe we are in partial agreement. But, a bunch of fat Americans with hunting weapons, handguns and no training wouldn't stay that way for long against a large conventional force. The survivors would get lean and mean very fast.

In 1980 the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. The Afghans had to take a hit on the first round because they had no real weapons. They would push boulders down onto the tanks on those mountain roads. They would jump onto the top of the tanks and pour gasoline on themselves then jump inside the tank and light it and close the hatch.
Once you take a bloody hit on the first round those who are left pick up the enemies weapons and carry on. History has shown this repeatedly. I still have training manuals around the house someplace with these very tactics and accounts from that period. (ex jarhead that I am).

Back to Vietnam, yes you are 100 % correct about how we fought the war, but we lost because we didn't want it as much as they did. We weren't willing to pay the price in blood, sweat, tears and treasure as they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back