Gifted a U87. Now what?

fuzzy_melon

Hello! First time caller, long time listener. I appreciate all of you who provide advice, and I am now looking for some. Did a search thru the forums but didn't find exact relevance.

I was just gifted a Neumann U-87. I would like to use it for male vocals and I am looking for a pre-amp on a budget, say $200 - $300 used, or somewhere in that ballpark.
My vocal style would be like Chris Robinson + some others, and I am looking to add a little color if possible. I am also using an Aphex Expressor + Jim Williams mod.

If this is a redundant thread, all apologies. Mods feel free to merge it iand I will check it out. If not, thank you in advance for your input, appreciated!

Hello! First time caller, long time listener. I appreciate all of you who provide advice, and I am now looking for some. Did a search thru the forums but didn't find exact relevance.

I was just gifted a Neumann U-87. I would like to use it for male vocals and I am looking for a pre-amp on a budget, say $200 - $300 used, or somewhere in that ballpark.
My vocal style would be like Chris Robinson + some others, and I am looking to add a little color if possible. I am also using an Aphex Expressor + Jim Williams mod.

If this is a redundant thread, all apologies. Mods feel free to merge it iand I will check it out. If not, thank you in advance for your input, appreciated!
FMR Audio RNP is the best bang for the buck. Under $500 street price new for 2 channels so a used one might be around close to your $300 limit.

FMR Audio RNP is the best bang for the buck. Under $500 street price new for 2 channels so a used one might be around close to your $300 limit.
Have you used it with the U87? I'm hearing that the Neumann can throw down some serious high-mids

Aphex is not bad, The Aphex 107 2 channel tube preamp was under $50 on ebay not long ago. It will do the job til you can afford the neve.
Thanks for the input! Is the U87 / Aphex combo something you've heard before?
P.S. Neve will not be in my wheelhouse for awhile, LOL!

Have you used it with the U87? I'm hearing that the Neumann can throw down some serious high-mids
I've used it with everything from U-87's to RCA 77's & 44's. I also have plenty of other high-end mic preamps to compare it with. I'm talking Great River, Forsell, Spectra Sonics, & Deane Jensen. There are no flies on the RNP.

I read a shootout on Sound on Sound where the ART MPA II beat out high end preamps like the Neve 73 and others in a blind test. Furthermore, everyone stated they couldn’t hear any significant differences to begin with. Preamps don’t really matter too much these days, IMO.

I read a shootout on Sound on Sound where the ART MPA II beat out high end preamps like the Neve 73 and others in a blind test. Furthermore, everyone stated they couldn’t hear any significant differences to begin with. Preamps don’t really matter too much these days, IMO.

I will check it out. Apprecate you taking the time to reply, thanks!

I've used it with everything from U-87's to RCA 77's & 44's. I also have plenty of other high-end mic preamps to compare it with. I'm talking Great River, Forsell, Spectra Sonics, & Deane Jensen. There are no flies on the RNP.
Cool. Haven't found any deals on it yet. I guess a great testimony to validate is that there are no used ones for sale, lol!

Back