Gibson Firebird X....why, oh why?

The on-board fx thing has been done quite a while ago.
Electra had some gits with modules for built in fx and I'm sure there were others and that was like, 30 years ago.

It's a dumb idea. No one wants to be locked into one set of fx.
There's too many great boutiqe pedals to lust after and then the extra electronics on that git become just something to break.

Plus it's ugly.

I just feel like Gibson is forcing 'innovation' by adding more tech to guitars, and like you said, this just increases the probability for things breaking. So then when you have an expensive fancy thing like that you start to worry about too much- like a really fancy car. Which defeats the purpose.

Like that robot guitar ....... that's seriously dumb. A normal git will last a hundred years. But start adding solenoids and wires running thru the neck and such ....... 20 years tops and you're gonna start having some issues with it.
Then you've paid an extra 2000 dollars for nothing.

Ah yes, that robot guitar :laughings: Though it has a very pretty color, like apple candy :D

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Gibson's strategy meetings...

There's a thread on the X at The Gear Page that was 40+ pages long when I checked on it last. I wish Gibson would go back to what once made them successful, which was to craft beautiful guitars that musicians loved. Apparently Henry J sees himself as competing with Steve Jobs. lt's the sad old story of an artisanal company being run by an MBA (cf. CBS and Fender, Gibson and Norlin) instead of by craftspersons. The beloved leaders want so bad to be cutting edge, that they subvert the fine guitar designs into jokes that only the engineers and management like.

And I'm a Gibson guy, at that (have owned a Les Paul and an SG, currently have a 335 as my only electric). =sigh=

Apparently Henry J sees himself as competing with Steve Jobs.

Hardly. If he was taking his lead from Steve Jobs, it would be a very pretty guitar with an on/off button that switched pickups for you and had a multi-touch screen for a volume knob. Apple is all about simplicity and form, rather than user tweakability and options.

Delay before a clean amp works, but that'd sound like ass plugged into a rectifier. Ugly as sin, too.

What's with the "1st Wireless Network - 1994" slide that shows briefly when they first re-lower the screen??

"But nobody looks, or spends the time, to reinvent the guitar..." WTF? Leo Fender? Casio's MIDI? Roland's? LES PAUL???

I think you have to applaud Gibson for trying to innovate. Their attempts have been way off the mark in the last few years (Robot guitar, Dusk Tiger, Ethernet guitar) but I find this approach preferable to releasing a '59 re-issue every couple of years or going down the 'road-worn' route. I hope they'll absorb some of the failed technologies into future products. I'd love an on-boards compressor, and a banded EQ would also be cool.

They are trying to put a modeler and Computer interface into a guitar. The target market should be the younger computer savy kids. Who have no money - let alone 5000. Not revolutionary in some respects but way too expensive. They need to refocus their target and build. They need a 500 model. They'll sell 1800 of those pretty quick.

I applaud the innovation.

I don't.It's one one thing to put airbags into a car to make it safer or to make an improvement to an existing product.

This makes no necessary improvements that can't be had the conventional way.Give me a pedal anyday.

Let's face it - pedals are what they are because you can keep playing whilst bringing them in & out of the signal chain & if a pedal carks it you move on to another.
Guitars are sound sources.
Variax at least had their heads in the modern HR space some of the time.
The video shows a couple of limited pics and a man walking around holbing a guitar whilst talking. WOW, that's great marketing!!!
Then screen goes up to reveal a couple of hanging guitars, the screen goes down to reveal a PP presentation. That's about as revelutionary (in small steps??) as the guitar.
Perhaps Gibson should have called it the Firebird De Ja Vu & put it in a bad case!
OR the Firebird Portents to a Minor Adjustment to the Status Quo via Mining the Tailings of Previously Unsuccessful Ventures?
Or, the Firebird Results of the Non Playing Strategists Meeting?

Good ol' Henry. He wants to play guitar in the worst way, and every time he's sat in with my band, he succeeded beyond anyone's wildest nightmares.

So basically, he's reinvented the Electra MPC...

yeah remember when they put electric pickups on guitars...man thats just like carrayzeeee! :)

Does anyone here remember the prototypes in the late 70s that Gibson made with Oil-Filled Pickups??? Saw one on 48th St. in NYC. No one else has ever seen one, or said they did, so far.

The old Gibson guitars are simple and last several lifetimes.
If it ain't broke don't fix it I say.
Like lt boob says the ones with all the high tech additions will be junk in a decade while the old ones are still being played...refretted....played...refretted.... and highly desirable.

Back