gibson -> apogee ensemble -> mac pro issue

mustardeer

Just got apogee ensemble and my AKG 414s do sound better than with my firebox but having a really hard time recording my guitar. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

i plug in my '53 Gibson es-125 into ensemble's hz-2 input (high impedance), unclick phantom power in the maestro, it asks me to select -4db or +10db, i've tried both, my sequencer is ableton live, the end result is a very weak and noisy signal. I've tried all kinds of vst/eqs to bring it to life but the original signal is no good. My mac pro is a dual 3.2ghz, 8mb monster with a 3 terabyte array.

Should I use an external preamp? Or apogees preamp? I thought a guitar didn't need one.

Just got apogee ensemble and my AKG 414s do sound better than with my firebox but having a really hard time recording my guitar. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

i plug in my '53 Gibson es-125 into ensemble's hz-2 input (high impedance), unclick phantom power in the maestro, it asks me to select -4db or +10db, i've tried both, my sequencer is ableton live, the end result is a very weak and noisy signal. I've tried all kinds of vst/eqs to bring it to life but the original signal is no good. My mac pro is a dual 3.2ghz, 8mb monster with a 3 terabyte array.

Should I use an external preamp? Or apogees preamp? I thought a guitar didn't need one.

Hello..Is the input on the Ensemble a true Hz input or it line level..? Is it a combo conector ( XLR/1/4" inside).?. If it's asking for -4/+10 sems to be speaking of line level..Maybe try using a DI box and see what happens.. Good luck...

a

ensemble_rp_done-b623a6af0afc337bd2eb84778bc72803.jpg

ensemble_fp_done-49eee501e96e4640374f5f94b101db2e.jpg

Snatchman, I believe the input on the front panel is the true high impedance input. It's not a combo connector, it's a 1/4 inch connector. While in use it disables the same channel's rear XLR input (the one for the mic).

Hoping to hear from someone who has experience with the ensemble.

Last edited:
I imagine those Hi-Z inputs are only good for dynamic mics. For the guitar, you'll need a guitar pre-amp or the pre-amp outputs form a guitar amp plugged into the analog inputs.

well, the manual says to plug the guitar into the Hi-Z input. The mics should go in the back. Maybe I should try using mic's preamp with a 1/4 to XLR adapter and disable phantom power? That would give the signal more juice in theory but the impedance would be lower.

I know there are people on this board who know this stuff inside and out. Help!

wow, just tried calling Apogee technical support. Still on hold. 19min and counting. I think i'll give up at 30.

Back