Getting started

Chirgwin

Hello everyone!

First post on this forum, if you recon that I can find what I'm looking for with this post elsewhere, a nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated!

Me and my brother have decided to start recording sfx for a computer game a friend of ours is developing. It's also a way of helping my brother to cope with his depression, so hopefully it will be something more than just lending a helpful hand to a friend. Anyway the last week or two I've been reading alot, trying to get a grasp on how to begin, especially regarding the equipment we need in order to get started...and atm it's a complete mess of notes on my desk!

Hence the reason I'm posting here is to ask for your expertise in the matter of acquiring this gear we need.

As of now, we have the computer part covered (Brilliant, right?). What we don't have is, well, pretty much the rest! Now, I'm funding this by myself entirely and I wish I could tell you that we didn't have a budget, but we do...it's just not completely written in stone yet! (but think 1500-2000$)

From what I've read, this is what we need:
- we need to record in stereo
- we need a condenser mic (a friend recommended an Oktava mic with changable capsules for more versatility)
- windprotection for the mics (since we will be doing fieldrecording as well as indoor stuff)
- cables!
- a portable recorder (been looking at the zoom h1-2n)
- a portable mixer (if neccessary, remember the budget...we do have a laptop we could use for this purpose)
- Soundinterface/external usb soundcard (don't need more than 4 inputs atm we think)
- Software (atm I only have a basic artist model of studio one 2 which I've been producing music with for the last 2 years. An experienced friend of ours recommended Steinberg software like wavelab).

There, I think that's it. Now don't hesitate to grind that list into bits if you think that it should be changed somehow. We're just happy to get any advice we can to sort out the crowd of question marks and to get going. I'll try to answer any questions and I can imagine there are quite a few!

Thanks in advance!

/Chirgwin

It's not clear what you will be recording (sound effects, outside and inside)?

Not sure why you would need the 'portable mixer'. What is the maximum number of microphones you want to use at one time? I would think going with a 'higher version' (more mic inputs) of Zoom would be the way to go - you can use it as a portable device AND as your audio interface.

Hiya Mjb!

We're planning on recording both indoors, outdoors, soundeffects in general that would fit into this zombie-style game! ^^

I've gotten feedback elsewhere where they've suggested the zoom h4n for these purposes, especially good for starting out with. And just as you are saying now it can be used as an audio interface, which I didn't know! And if I've understood things right, I can use the zoom as a portable recorder connected to other microphones later on if I want to step it up. So this is great! Getting consistent answers all around it seems :)

Thanks for the input! ^^

/Chirgwin

I am a Reaper Fan. Good Software and very reasonably priced. Wavelab is very nice but $$ Record in stereo and mono for location sound. Perhaps a very directional (shotgun) microphone and wind sock too. If you get the H2n or H4n post about your results as that is on my to buy list. More later.

One of the items I have been thinking of getting is a porta-studio. I have an interface now, but with a porta-studio, I am thinking, 8 inputs, record without the need of a computer (carries easy) get the sound, dump back into a computer and then continue to mix. The ones I have been looking at are around $600. The nice thing about this is it can server as a mixer and a recording device.

It might be more than you want, but something to think about. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it seems like good multi-purpose solution, just don't know the down side yet (I know there is, just haven't found it).

I have a Zoom H2n and love it for my purpose - recording band jams/rehearsals. The H4n will give you more external mic options as it has two XLR/phone inputs. I have not tried the Audio I/F functionality, but if you do make sure you have the latest ASIO drivers.

Both models come with Wavelab LE so you don't have to buy any additional editing/mastering software. It sounds to me like it would work well for your purpose.

Agree with others that you won't need a mixer.

J

I'm just starting as well, Reaper was also recommended from a software perspective.

Sounds like what you're doing to help you're brother is a very noble thing. Hope you get it all up and running!

Back