Getting something off my chest.

analogelectric

I'll spend a whole afternoon mixing the kick drum. Why is it such an ordeal? Why god, why? I think it has to be one of the worst things to try and get right in a mix. Then sometimes you take your mix to listen else where and it sounds awful, back to square one.

I'm trying to 'lay back' and not have everything in your face so things sit a bit better overall. Even hardcore music needs to be mixed with a delicate approach. I find my faders hitting 100% all the time. Well, I better start to subtract things.

My monitors are really nice and I've gotten accustom to them (I went through 10 different types of monitors in the last 8 years) but it seems I sometimes lose focus. Even if I take a day off from the mix (or even a week) there's always going to be something I don't care for and Ill want to change.

Then I have stuff from years ago I listen to and think, "hey, that's not half bad. How did I get that snare sound?"

That's when I dig out my notes from the session and footnote what I did.

But why the kick? Why does it have to be such a bastard? I think it's one of the most important things to a recording. If it's too loud and honky a mix is unlistenable. If it's too quiet I find myself 'squinting' to hear it. The frequencies everything sits in and the relationship between other instruments is so very important. I wish it was as simple as plug in and go but it's not. I've spent more time mixing with some clients than I have tracking. Ultimately it comes down to overkill and we go right back to the original source with minor EQ.

Second-guessing a mix sucks. Listening too much sucks. A/B'ing with something you're shooting for is good (to a certain degree).

I don't know, sometimes I feel like what I do sucks and I should work in a factory. Other days I feel like I do pretty well, there must be a reason why people want to work with me and I can do this for a living (it's my only source of income).

So, there's my rant just to cleanse my soul. I feel much better now. Take it for what it is. Well, back to mixing!

--AdamLazlo

I like how you say

A/B'ing with something you're shooting for is good (to a certain degree).

Sometimes I find that i can make a mix match something else pretty darn close and it wont sound half as good than if I just sit back and try to make it sound "good."

If the drummer isnt WHACKING the kick drum it doesnt sound good :cool:

No matter how well you do or acomplished you are.. you will always hit walls...Anyone who doesn't isn't trying hard enough;)

Don

Last edited:
Analog......what's up, brother? Nice to see a fellow TapeOpper here.....

All I can say is that....I feel ya. The worst part, I find, is that those times when you DO get it right.....ya know....when you've busted your brains for days and it is PERFECT....no one really ever even notices, much less, cares.

Whaddaya gonna do?

heylow

Hey Analog, while we have your attention... do you have any mixes you can post that you used your e609's on dirty guitars?
What preamps do you find work well with it?

tubedude said:
Hey Analog, while we have your attention... do you have any mixes you can post that you used your e609's on dirty guitars?
What preamps do you find work well with it?

Trying to think if any of the bands I recorded with the e609 have any MP3's up... Can't think of any right now.

Once I figure it out I'll shoot a link here.

I'll use the pre amps in my D&R Orion console or my Neve 1272.

--AdamLazlo

heylow said:
Analog......what's up, brother? Nice to see a fellow TapeOpper here.....

All I can say is that....I feel ya. The worst part, I find, is that those times when you DO get it right.....ya know....when you've busted your brains for days and it is PERFECT....no one really ever even notices, much less, cares.

Whaddaya gonna do?

heylow

Yes, it's nice to see you here. Seems like you've posted quite a bit.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's taken for granted. Next time I'm going to put a huge doppler flange on the kick just so people really pick it out :)

--AdamLazlo

Yo Analog-of-voltage:

Your troubles began when you didn't claim your prize for "NOV SCHMOZ KA POP."

Too bad. The telephone answering cut to deter tele-people is fantastic.

The English Composition Text is a collectable.

Alas, millions go unclaimed each year.

Green Hornet :D :D :p :p

Yo Analog-of-voltage:

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Analog-of-voltage:

Jesus Christ this post reads like a William Burroghs novel, put down the smack sir and step away from the keyboard

the kick drum is one third of any song, its OK if it takes forever to get right because forever and a half wont be long enough to fix it later, except by the help of drumagog, which you maligned :)

pipelineaudio said:
the kick drum is one third of any song, its OK if it takes forever to get right because forever and a half wont be long enough to fix it later, except by the help of drumagog, which you maligned :)

I'm all analog from beginning to end my friend. Nothing that's worth doing right is done in an instant or is a quick fix, in my opinion.

:)

--AdamLazlo

"I'm all analog from beginning to end my friend. Nothing that's worth doing right is done in an instant or is a quick fix, in my opinion."

who said anything about a quick fix? Drumagog will take just as long as a hardware solution such as a DM-5 or FORAT or D-Drum4 brain, its just better. All of these are digital solutions tho, the only truly analog one would be to beat the drummer in the head

Why not use a sampled kick? Run your signal thru a MIDI trigger and use whatever kick you want...

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!!

especially with the kick. You just cant tell.

But maybe its not the actual Sound thats bothers people?? Maybe the sound is a good sound.. but you cant get the right placement... then maybe the REST of your mix is the bastard....or even the Composition! Is your Bass trampling the kick?? or not synced with it enough?? Hmmm. these things I ponder in the dark of night.

xoxo

Back