Getting mono tracks instead of forced stereo pairs on Sonar 8 producer, Win 7 lap.

guitartickler

I'm using Tascam US1800 and have cubase LE5 and Sonar 8 loaded on the Toshiba laptop, 8 gigs ram, 1/2 tb hd, dual core AMD CPU.

Can't get Sonar 8 to set up strictly mono tracks for recording my band. Only thing I get are stereo pairs, not good for vocals and such.

Any help forcing Sonar 8 to give me mono tracks?

Cubase LE5 loads up mono fine but I like the EFX in Sonar.

You need to first of all select the correct input channel in the Track Header.
You should see your Tascam listed along with all the exposed inputs - it will read something like Tascam Left 1/ Tascam Right 2 / Tascam Stereo 3.
Select whichever input you've got your mic connected to

This should force Sonar into recording mono tracks, if not, switch the Track Interleave over to mono, again it's in the track header (Track View)

You need to first of all select the correct input channel in the Track Header.
You should see your Tascam listed along with all the exposed inputs - it will read something like Tascam Left 1/ Tascam Right 2 / Tascam Stereo 3.
Select whichever input you've got your mic connected to

This should force Sonar into recording mono tracks, if not, switch the Track Interleave over to mono, again it's in the track header (Track View)
You're one the right track there. Setting mono or stereo for a new track (or imported file I believe) is a function of the input type selected.
Interleave will only change how the track and plugs inserted behave afterward.

Hmm maybe a correction is due here about importing a file. A track has to be there for a place to land the import. So that is different. Come to think of it not sure I've specifically noticed, but I think if you were to land a stereo file on to a track that was set up as with a mono input, if the input assignment would actually change(? I'll guess no :D

Last edited:
Beat you to it.. I happened to be in S6 whit this but I doubt its changed..
Opened a proj. Insert new audio track. Asigned 'mono L', imported a stereoi track.. Still the same input asignment sitting there.
Well, that leads to more.. What happens now with this mono' track with stereo file on it? Hit record, sure enough.. a mono track occupys one side of the stereo' track view. Now this I've never had to come across, but there ya go. :D

I guess 'Cake took good care us with all these little details we don't have to worry about.
I've known from long ago the their track paths are all 'dual paths (or 'act like them' whatever).
This makes sense when you consider what has to happen when you drop a stereo verb in on the insert for example.
Interleave' can force the path to 'mono. Off the top of my head I'm not really clear what else it is actually usful for.

Back