Getting A PRS shipped in a couple days...question...

ChickenStomp

So I'm getting a PRS Custom 24 via UPS in 2 days and a friend told me I might want to let it warm up to room temperature before I open the box, because the sudden temp change might affect the finish in a bad way. Is this true?

I'd be surprised if it would affect the finish unless coming from -30 to a warm environment. I guess it depends on temperature differentials and just how sudden the change takes place. I received my PRS in winter and it was toasty indoors, I stood it on a stand for a couple of hours before tuning it and had no problems other than the strings needed changing because of some sporadic variation in one of the strings in respect of it holding a constant pitch while the note decayed. You could do it in stages, open the package a little and let it acclimatise of your worried about it. I have a guitar student living 10 minutes walk from my house and I wander there with a guitar on a stand once a week and it's pretty damn cold right now, but have had no problem other than the whole tuning alters by a few cents and comes back once at room temp if left alone. I hope you enjoy.

Tim

So I'm getting a PRS Custom 24 via UPS in 2 days and a friend told me I might want to let it warm up to room temperature before I open the box, because the sudden temp change might affect the finish in a bad way. Is this true?

Unlikely but you should try and bring it to room temp as slowly as poss because wood doesn't like quick changes in anything. It has more to do with moisture than temp though.

The biggest problem on new guitars going from cold to centrally heated houses and warm wet bars and clubs is to the fingerboard and neck set up. In extreme cases you can get the dreaded fret end rising or showing through the edge. A lot of people blame the factory set up for that. It isn't it's your central heating and new guitars. Once it's put right it's good to go though.

Cool thanks, I think the temperature is only going to change from about 30 degrees in the UPS truck to about 50-60 degrees inside the building, so I don't think I'll have a problem except for the tuning

Cool thanks, I think the temperature is only going to change from about 30 degrees in the UPS truck to about 50-60 degrees inside the building, so I don't think I'll have a problem except for the tuning

Lik I say moisture is your enemy not temperature. Temperature accelerates the way moisture is lost to and from other components in that environment. If you are really worried and want to be uber cautious. Open a few windows in the room for 10 minutes before you open her up.

Lik I say moisture is your enemy not temperature. Temperature accelerates the way moisture is lost to and from other components in that environment. If you are really worried and want to be uber cautious. Open a few windows in the room for 10 minutes before you open her up.
can't you sometimes get some finish checking if it warms up too quickly?

I've never worried about it and have never had it happen but I've always lived where it doesn't get stupid cold.
I'd always heard that you might get some checking if it went from freezing to warm really quickly.
Not true?

Yeah - I was warned about finish cracking as well. When I've had guitars shipped in winter I just leave the case closed inside for an hour before I open it. No probs with that approach on a semi-vintage Yamaha and a new Gibson.

Back