Get your wood cone monitors...

Some moronic JVC ad copywriter said:
To recreate the sound of instruments played in a concert hall, speakers should be designed as though they were actual musical instruments. In particular, the speaker diaphragms ought to be made of wood - the same material used for making violins, cellos, and other instruments.
Follow that logic, and speakers should actually be shaped like the instruments too.

I guess it also means that these speakers will not reproduce any drums, electric guitars, keyboards (except maybe piano) or vocals very well, and they'll really suck at cowbell.

The question is what should the speakers look like or be made of when listening to a Dolly Parton CD? ;)

G.

P.S. It's not limited to audio. In fact, HD television screens should be made of kentucky bluegrass when watching football games and seawater when watching "Titanic".

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I guess it also means that these speakers will not reproduce any drums, electric guitars, keyboards (except maybe piano) or vocals very well, and they'll really suck at cowbell.
Specially the cowbell!

SouthSIDE Glen said:
The question is what should the speakers look like or be made of when listening to a Dolly Parton CD? ;)
Yum! :eek:
You took the words right out of my... er... fingers. That's exactly what I was thinking when reading their "reasoning".

And seriously, the next person that utters the word "warm" next to me is going to get my foot up their... uh... nevermind. :D

SouthSIDE Glen said:

Well you certainly wouldn't be able to put them very close together. ;)

Well, paper is made out of wood, so I suppose one way of thinking about these speakers is that they are paper with significant irregularities in the surface. That would probably cause distortions that could be thought of as "warm" by some :confused:

i'd have to hear them, but i personally like the sound of paper cone speakers more than i like the sound of poly speakers (they make distorted guitars sound better imo)

(of course that is a generalization and crap is crap no matter what it's made out of, and many completely awesome speaker cones are made out of plastics)

and hey, wood is just generally more musical than plastic.

plastic drum shells?
plastic guitars?
plastic pianos?
all of these things exist, but none of them shine over their wooden counterparts.

From what I'd read on the site, they're just very thin sheets of wook soaked in saki, shaped, and then cut. I assume they'll just sound like paper cones.

The speaker "cones" on my Magnaplanars are mylar and they sound fantastic. Also the speaker cones in my Fender Vibrolux are steel. They are the absolute greatest when my Fender is plugged into them. Really sweet.

Back