Gearheads unite!

Serendipity Records

Get real, homies!

Once we get started, we can't stop. We're "investing" in gear. We need to spend time, alone, with that "one last one" new toy.

We've all been told by our wives, girlfs, mothers, and other persons of similar endearment that our music gear takes up too much space. "You said yourself you're an addict." "You invested, where are the returns?" "You got another toy?! How about spending more time with your family?" Words that hit hard -- there's so little sympathy for us.

So here's the place to vent, rant, rave, and poke a joke at the uphill battle that is this problem!

This guy at least absolves us:

You've got to be into something, to keep you off the streets.
Music obsession at least keeps you at home with you're 'other'.
Would they prefer to be a golf widow?
I don't have an 'other' anyway.
I earned the money. I'll spend it as I please.

I've been really good for the past year. The only thing I have bought was a single microphone, the Miktek MK300. I had considered it 2 years ago, but grabbed a WA-47jr instead, which was on sale at the time. The MK300 went on sale at a good price, so I grabbed one.

I've got 8 LDCs, 8 SDC and 9 dynamics. 4 of the LDCs are multipattern, so I really don't need any new mics. The interface is good

I've been looking at 2 guitars, a bass and a Strymon Iridium lately, but haven't pulled the plug.

FWIW, I've also been looking at Taylormade Stealth and Callaway Paradigm drivers which are running in the $500-600 range. Instead I'm still rocking my 11 yr old Ping Anser driver, and I just shot my lowest round ever, a 78 on Friday. Better chipping and putting has been more valuable to me than 10 extra yards on a drive.

I also don't agree with his idea that these are "investments" and will appreciate over time. The vast majority of stuff goes down in value. The crazy valuations of the past 2 or 3 years is an anomoly, based on my observation over the past 70 years. Only a few things really went up in value and that's usually the "rare" and "vintage" craze. It's like buying '59 Les Pauls for half a million $$. When I was looking at guitars in the late 70s/early 70s you could get them for $500 just about any day, if you found one. They really weren't that plentiful and not in demand. It was just a used guitar.

Last edited:
Well to be fair, I definitely don't have even the gear @grimtraveller has -- I'll bet on it :) But of late the lady in charge has not been too appreciative of my setups, no matter how minimalistic. I don't have a dedicated recording room, despite having keyboard instruments in 4 different rooms, so I move around as needed.
I also don't agree with his idea that these are "investments" and will appreciate over time. The vast majority of stuff goes down in value. The crazy valuations of the past 2 or 3 years is an anomoly, based on my observation over the past 70 years. Only a few things really went up in value and that's usually the "rare" and "vintage" craze. It's like buying '59 Les Pauls for half a million $$. When I was looking at guitars in the late 70s/early 70s you could get them for $500 just about any day, if you found one. They really weren't that plentiful and not in demand. It was just a used guitar.
I do believe he mentioned vintage synths? Not an expert but I do believe they would appreciate -- or at least solidly maintain a good price. But yeah, I wish I was around back then! Lucky you, guys.

Back