GearFest Mixing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use the soundcloud embed link farthest to the right in the reply tool bar!
Oh you have to go into advanced options for it to show!.

10 posts.

Just use the soundcloud embed link farthest to the right in the reply tool bar!
Oh you have to go into advanced options for it to show!.

Thanks Morten, but I think I need to have posted 10 posts before I am allowed to make a html link (?) cause it docent work.

Hello, I'm new here.

This is my attempt for the competition:

I've tried to make it as punchy as possible. Let me hear what you think.

Thanks!
Michael

Hello, I'm new here.

This is my attempt for the competition:

Thanks!
Michael

Hi Ouzo,

Welcome.

I really like the energy. Maybe the kick is a bit too unnatural and the snare too loud, but the energy is certainly there! Also, maybe the vocal is a bit too compressed, but then maybe that just fits what you where aiming for.

It's all subjective. I went a different route myself. Your feedback is welcome:

Trying to get a HUGE sound out of three piece band is difficult at best. This is my first shot at a mixing contest. Comments are welcome. I know the big boys are playing in this and have a lot more equipment then the novice. There are some really good mixes out there. One of my issues was deciding on the type of sound, vintage rock, indie, Abbey Road mix, etc. I almost lost track of the purpose while playing around with outcomes. Since this is a mixing contest and not a mastering contest I had to make some trade-offs to allow for the master mix. It has been fun! I've posted out to the Soundcloud site for the contest. Tom Heinzinger - GearfestPuremixContest - Liza Colby Sounds - Oh Baby! Haven't made enough posts to allow the link.

Seth Gorden -

Hello everyone. First time participating in a mixing contest. Most of my recent recording/mixing experience is with live graduate recitals at the local university. It's challenging work, but not very similar to mixing a rock band. So I had some new obstacles to cross on this. However, I've completed my mix, and I feel pretty good about it. Had a lot of fun.

I would post the url to my mix here, but the forum says I can't post URLs at this time. However, my username on SoundCloud is smgorden, and I have only one 'Sound' on the 'Cloud', so it should be easy to find.
I documented most of the interesting decisions in the song description on SoundCloud. If you happen to listen to my mix, comments and feedback are most welcome.

Cheers!

Hi Ouzo,

Welcome.

I really like the energy. Maybe the kick is a bit too unnatural and the snare too loud, but the energy is certainly there! Also, maybe the vocal is a bit too compressed, but then maybe that just fits what you where aiming for.

It's all subjective. I went a different route myself. Your feedback is welcome:

Hey Jasper,

Thank you for your input.
I like compressed vocals! ;-)

Good mix! Totally different approach from mine, more of a bit of vintage touch.

Curious as to what folks found to be the most difficult part of the mix. I found the vocal to be tough to get my hands around. A very powerful voice. Had to clean up some peaks in the track and had a hard time deciding how to get a "sound" out of the vocal that would fit into the mix and not get lost. The guitar and vocal competed in the same frequency range. Also having two bass tracks DI and AMP, wasn't quite sure what to do here. How about you folks?

Last edited:
For Puremix, another thought. I assume you won't download these for the competition until the cutoff date? A lot of folks have been modifying and re-posting their mix. I know only one entry is allowed.

Last edited:
up front, that's for sure!
Might have over cooked the kick snare and vox just a smidge. sometimes attempts to be as much of ___(insert anything here)___ as possible, we overshoot. nice tones

Curious as to what folks found to be the most difficult part of the mix. I found the vocal to be tough to get my hands around. A very powerful voice. Had to clean up some peaks in the track and had a hard time deciding how to get a "sound" out of the vocal that would fit into the mix and not get lost. The guitar and vocal competed in the same frequency range. Also having two bass tracks DI and AMP, wasn't quite sure what to do here. How about you folks?

For sure vocals is probably the most challenging element in this mix, for the reasons you said: big dynamics, lots of peaks and resonances that hurt the ear (yeah I sadly have to say that these vocals were not really perfectly recorded -- but we all know the recording conditions), and find a tone that sits in the mix and blend well with the guitar. 100 % challenging.

As for the bass, I personally used the DI to get more of the finger sound; I boosted between 2 and 3 kHz and blended it with the amped sound. Works great. I didn't touch the phase btw; did you?

For sure vocals is probably the most challenging element in this mix, for the reasons you said: big dynamics, lots of peaks and resonances that hurt the ear (yeah I sadly have to say that these vocals were not really perfectly recorded -- but we all know the recording conditions), and find a tone that sits in the mix and blend well with the guitar. 100 % challenging.

As for the bass, I personally used the DI to get more of the finger sound; I boosted between 2 and 3 kHz and blended it with the amped sound. Works great. I didn't touch the phase btw; did you?

Glad you mentioned the bass issue. As a matter of fact, I did adjust the phase on one of the tracks when I blended them. It gave me a punchier sound with less sub-bass. Great insight!

For those who have done this type of competition before, what's usually the deciding issues on the winners? what do the judges look for, what makes one mix standout from the others? Curious, curious, curious.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back