GearFest Mixing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wasn't really trying to be "smug"... :D ....but from the time the tread started, I've been feeling what that poster (SharpNeck) said about the song, and was glad someone said something, though I wasn't going to be the first one since I have yet to post up a mix.

I've also been kinda amused at some of the gushing, Oprah-like posts about the mixes...but yeah, after the contest is over, 95% of these new members will never be back here again.
You know that's the case....as it's happened before, though I hope a bunch of new memebrs stay, as we could use some new blood around here.
The only reason most people are entering is for a shot at the Focal monitors....which I have to say is a very good reason! So c'mon....put up a mix, I'm sure you wouldn't mind having the Focals either. :)

I think I'll stick around - good advice, good articles, more contests, and the experience.

Hello guys! I listened many songs, some with great mixes, others very creative but kinda heavy on FX and stuff. And I like reverbs and delays but, in this scenario, without getting in the way of the performance.

To me, some key aspects are making the mix wider but keeping it related to the live performance, getting the chorus to rock and keep the focus on the voice while it happens, after all its Liza Colby right!? So I settled with this one. If you like to check:

soundcloud.com/davibaeta/oh-baby-gearfestpuremixcontest

To me the guitar is a bit too loud in second verse, other than that: Perfect! Also at the end when Liza's screaming for her baby, her voice is too compressed and get lost (transient are squashed) -- but you maybe did that on purpose. Other than that you rock man!

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed this contest. My submission is uploaded and I am now trying to upload, paste or add my working notes as comments. Where are the comments to be posted?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. I posted the notes on my submission.

Last edited:
Whats up everyone! New to this thread, but have read thru most of the comments and listed to a few of the mixes done on Oh Baby and man, I must say you all have great mixing talent!

Im going to upload my mix as well but this site is saying I have to have 10 or more posts before i can attach a URL...

I think this is it.

After letting it stew for a few days, I got back to it today. I tweaked the sidechain compression between kick and bass, softened the eq on the kicks low end a tad, upped the bass in teh mix, and put some overdrive on the guitars.

I was having trouble with the hats being too present, so I went in and manually cut out all but the snare hits on the snare track so I could put the overheads as high as I wanted them to be. It was tedious, but you don't win competitions by cutting corners. I also brought up the applause at the end and used a super taps 2 to make it stereo. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Im going to upload my mix as well but this site is saying I have to have 10 or more posts before i can attach a URL...

Admin should have fixed that, so that you do not need 10 posts to attach a link here.

I assume, you got the 'you must have ten posts' notification, when trying to post a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back