Gear Addict needs Junk Advice.

anaesthesiac

Ok, here's how it is [Hello by the way :)],

I want to be able to put 7 mics on a drumkit, 2 on guitar amps, 1 on a bass cabinet, 1 for vocals/misc .... 11 Microphones in total MINIMUM. I want each Mic to have it's own "Track" in Cubase Sx3 so i can edit the specific sounds directly AND i want this to happen all at once, so i can record my entire band playing together instead of laying down tracks individually as i have to now.

Now for the tricky part, how do i go about this?

Currently i use a Lexicon OMEGA interface, i have a Leem Micro Mixer and a Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer to split channels, but i can't get any more than 4 simultaneous channels recording out of the Lexicon OMEGA and into Cubase Sx3.

What is the best option for me? A Bigger interface with more Ins/Outs or a more versatile interface and a bigger mixer? I'm confused out of my brain here!

I know how to assign tracks in Cubase to BUS channels, but as i said i can't get anymore than 4 options to pick from with the OMEGA as far as Cubase is concerned.

I figured it would be pretty easy to find info on this on the internet but nowhere can i find it laid out and explained in detail how to get 11 simultaneous tracks recording from 11 seperate inputs into one program! Maybe i'm asking too much, then again studios manage it quite easily, right?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated, cheers in advance.

:eek:

Last edited:
How about an audio interface with more inputs? Tascam 1641, Firestudio, there are plenty of options.

Thats funny you said the Tascam US-1641, it is EXACTLY the unit i was looking at buying, that or the M-Audio Fastrack Ultra 8R, but seriously will that do the job?. I need USB connectivity on a Windows XP system to begin with, not to mention as many inputs as i can get for my price range.

Also i looked at the Alesis Multimix 16. Apparently it's a bit bloated for an interface but if it gets the job done then who cares? The thing is i've read up on all this for months now and i think i've confused myself more than when i first started. I keep finding alternatives to what i think are my solutions haha!

Last edited:
The Tascam is exactly what i plan on buying too, i need it to record drums. I don't own one, but i think it should be good enough for what you plan on doing. I was actually talking to someone who does own one today on another thread, let me see if i can find it. Oh yeah, and welcome to the site :)

Cheers Bud, i've spent a lot of time on a site called RecordingReview.com, but i couldn't find what i needed as far as answers were concerned, so i came here. It looks a gem.

The Tascam US-1641 has 8 XLR ins i believe, it'd do the job if i could run it simultaneously with the Lexicon OMEGA, then i'd have 8 XLR's on the Tascam, 2 XLR's & 2 TS/TRS ins & 1 Direct in on the OMEGA, but something tells me this would be impossible, whether it be an ASIO issue or whatnot i don't know.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 1641 though, in reviews and from people who use them.

Yup, it does have a usb line, and it has 8 XLR inputs, and there are also line inputs. You could use those too.

The last few posts sound out what i've been hearing about the unit. I'm thinking it'd be a toss up between the Tascam 1641 ans the Alesis MultiMix 16.

I'd probably lean toward the Alesis as it seems to pack a few more options for the price, as here in Australia they're both similar in price [$1000 for the Tascam & $1100 for the Alesis].

I'm going to have to read up on the specs and see if they'll be capable of what i want. I'd say the Alesis or the Tascam coupled with the Soundcraft mixer i have would give me a good starting point for what i need to do.

Have you ehard anything about the Alesis before?

Yup, it does have a usb line, and it has 8 XLR inputs, and there are also line inputs. You could use those too.

Oh really? i never bothered to look up on the line in options for either unit, i was being a boofhead looking only at XLR inputs! sleep deprivation, you fiend! :)

I'm looking up the specs for both units as i type this, more to follow. Oh and one thing that turned me off the Tascam is i was told you can't monitor playback from the PC through the 1641. This would be a big downside for me.

cheers for taking the time to respond bud.

Last edited:
You could get two used Delta 1010LT's and that would give you 16 in/16 out for about $200. I think you can run four so that would be 48 in/48 out for $400, hard to beat the price.

You could get two used Delta 1010LT's and that would give you 16 in/16 out for about $200. I think you can run four so that would be 48 in/48 out for $400, hard to beat the price.

I use a pair of 1010lt's. And, you're right- VERY hard to beat for the price (and I'm cheap). works very well. Someday, I'd like to upgrade to something with "better" converters, but right now everything in my price range has preamps built in (which I don;t need).

Oh, and 4 1010lt's would get you 32 ins / outs. :p

BTW, I do EXACTLY what you are trying to do- record my entire band practice. I use a Soundcraft M8 for my first set of preamps and my PA (M8 has direct outs on each channel- main out goes to PA amp). I have a Presonus D8, which is a single rack mount 8 channel preamp that feeds the second 1010lt card.

hey it's morning here and I haven't finished my coffee:o

Yes, 8 x 4 = 32, not 48

Some people are so tecknickel - what's next, you want the correct amount of change back at 7-11?:eek:

Ya I'm using the 1010LT and I know the convertors are beginner level but it's what I have now. It appears that the input convertors are less of an issue than the output convertors, 'cause my stuff sounds better played back through the convertors on a MOTU 828.

Oh and one thing that turned me off the Tascam is i was told you can't monitor playback from the PC through the 1641. This would be a big downside for me.

cheers for taking the time to respond bud.

No problem, that's what we're all here for :)
I didn't know about the playback thing, are you sure? And i haven't heard much about the Alesis, but that's just me. Have you looked into the Firestudio? That is a very popular choice. I'm not sure how much an Australian dollar is but 1000 seems like a lot! :eek:

By the way, Jeff and dintymoore are regulars and give really good advice, so you might want to seriously consider the Delta card they're talking about.

hey it's morning here and I haven't finished my coffee:o

Yes, 8 x 4 = 32, not 48

Some people are so tecknickel - what's next, you want the correct amount of change back at 7-11?:eek:

Ya I'm using the 1010LT and I know the convertors are beginner level but it's what I have now. It appears that the input convertors are less of an issue than the output convertors, 'cause my stuff sounds better played back through the convertors on a MOTU 828.
ROFL :D:p:D
I bought my 1010lt when I first started recording (about 8 years ago :eek:). When I decided I needed more inputs, I bought a second 1010lt. I'm confident that there are products out there that sound MUCH better than these inexpensive cards, but for what I'm doing, they've been working very well. Someday, I'll upgrade, once someone actually manufactures the interface I need. I want 16 1/4" balanced analog inputs and anywhere from 4 to 16 outputs into a single pci or firewire device. No mic pres. The closest thing I can find is the MOTU 24IO and its really expensive. If they made a 16IO for a little less $, I'd go buy it. To be honest, the 1010lt's are probably the lowest quality pieces in my setup now.

No problem, that's what we're all here for :)
I didn't know about the playback thing, are you sure? And i haven't heard much about the Alesis, but that's just me. Have you looked into the Firestudio? That is a very popular choice. I'm not sure how much an Australian dollar is but 1000 seems like a lot! :eek:

By the way, Jeff and dintymoore are regulars and give really good advice, so you might want to seriously consider the Delta card they're talking about.

The nice (looking) thing about both of those over the Firestudio is that they actually do 14 or 16 tracks without additional gear.
ALOT of these units that advertise 16 or 24 tracks do so with 8 analog inputs (xlr mic pre or 1/4" cable) and the rest are ADAT optical or spdif, which means you need another piece of gear that has ADAT optical or spdif to plug into it. So, for instance, with the Presonus stuff, you can get the firestudio (or whatever the one is that has "26 inputs" for like ~$600, then buy something like a Presonus D8 8 channel preamp with ADAT output and you'll have 16 actual channels that you can plug a mic into and record. Or you can just buy two of the Presonus Firepods (or whatever the new ones are) and you have pretty much the same thing for the same price.

That tascam unit looks cool because it has 8 mic pres then another 6 1/4" ins. It does look like the last 2 that make up the "16" are spdif, so again, you'd need a piece of gear that has spdif outputs to use that.

Like I said, the 1010lts aren't the best thing in the world, but they are a really cheap way to get a shitload of inputs without preamps for cheap. So, if you already have enough preamps, and you have a way to get discrete signals from each of those preamps to the card, then they're a good option.

Like I said, the 1010lts aren't the best thing in the world, but they are a really cheap way to get a shitload of inputs without preamps for cheap. So, if you already have enough preamps, and you have a way to get discrete signals from each of those preamps to the card, then they're a good option.

Does one card give you 8 XLR inputs? How will it sound if you don't use a pre amp with it?

Does one card give you 8 XLR inputs? How will it sound if you don't use a pre amp with it?

Nope, (2) "preamps- you can switch a jumper on the card to disable the "preamp" and just use those 2 xlr connectors as balanced line level. I tried the preamps when I first got the card, and they didn't do much for me, so I just use em as line ins. The rest of the inputs are unbalanced rca. So, you need separate preamps to connect mics. There are several ways you can do that. You could
1) get stand alone preamps and plug each one into an input.
2) You could buy a mixer that has dedicated direct-outs on each mic channel (i.e. my Soundcraft M8), or
3) a mixer that has inserts- you can click a 1/4" cable halfway into the insert jack to grab a signal from right behind the preamp or
4) an 8 channel preamp like a Presonus D8

delta1010lt-66e07b1de9746559672096a4a56cef0e.jpg

Thanks for such a detailed explanation, i've come down with the flu since writing this and my brain is functioning on a cellular level in regards to potency :)

I've since spoken to a mate of mine who works in a small studio and i've run a few ideas past him, here's what i propose on buying:

Allen & Heath ZED-22FX Multi Purpose Audio Mixer
Tascam US-1641
Soundcraft Compact 10 Mixer [ I own this one already ]

I imagine i can run the Allen & heath as my main interface, off that i can run the Tascam US-1641 for more XLR channels, and off the Allen & Heath again i can add the Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer giving me an additional 4 XLR ins. How does this sound to you? As i said i know nothing about this kind of setup, i'm basing it purely on what i've read, reviews, and from forums like this one.

I will be using either KRK Rokit 5 Gen 2 monitors or ESI PRO 05 nEar Studio Monitors as my main source of audio playback, as well as a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

I Appreciate your suggestion of the doubled up soundcards, but for me i need something that won't need expanding for a while, as mine and my friends needs grow i want to cover all bases. Plus the Allen & Heath is actually under a grand here, and the Tascam i can get for $600 AUD [$600 AUD = $534 USD roughly].

Any further comments would be appreciated, cheers

:D

You might check with someone who has used one, but I'm pretty sure from reading the description of that Allen and Heath that it isn't gonna send all your individual channels via usb to your computer.
If you're gonna buy that mixer anyway, skip buying the tascam interface and go with a couple of those 1010lts. That'll give you 16 separate analog inputs into your computer, all of which you can feed from the preamps on your mixer(s). This setup absolutely will not need upgrading any earlier than the setup with the tascam would.

Back