"Gain" without plugins

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
I record with a stand-alone recorder (Tascam DP-32SD). I have software and use it very occasionally - but for my workflow - the stand alone is how I roll.

I'm wondering if there is a way to add the equivalent effect that you get with a "gain" plugin (as applied to vocals) using outboard gear. I can get a very "good" effect by running my vocals through some of my outboard gear (compressors and/or EQP style EQ) and not affecting the signal - just adding a little "color". But, occasionally, it's be nice to add a little hair - like what I hear with gain plugins.

Thoughts?

When I did analogue, I had some Behringer compressors and with the ratio down to no compression, the output could be brought up nicely - I think it always added a little compression even when it wasn't supposed to because it sounded better with the compressor in, rather than bypassed.

If you want color ("hair") without EQ or compression, then it sounds like preamp with both gain and output, then going into a line-in vs. mic-in, is one thing folks have used. There are lots of those out there that [per marketing] emulate some vintage mixing boards. Lots of used ones abound in varying price ranges.

Double tracking the vocal in a traditional way (ie not cut paste and copy ) will add alot more perceived presence to a vocal . As I understand it the natural minor variation between the two sperate takes will add harmonic colour . If this is then compressed and eqed right it will be good provided the raw initial performances are tight enough. I can't remember if this answers the original question

You can definitely get a little hair like what you'd get with a gain plugin via outboard gear. After all, any gain plugin is an emulation of what happens with outboard gear. You can get gain off preamps or compressors or also via unorthodox means such as guitar amps and pedals. (There's even the slam-it-through-a-tape-machine option.) As far as outboard studio rack equipment goes, though, probably the most popular device is the Empirical Labs Distressor. These will run you at least $1,200 USD though and that's used. Software is always going to be cheaper ...

You can definitely get a little hair like what you'd get with a gain plugin via outboard gear. After all, any gain plugin is an emulation of what happens with outboard gear. You can get gain off preamps or compressors or also via unorthodox means such as guitar amps and pedals. (There's even the slam-it-through-a-tape-machine option.) As far as outboard studio rack equipment goes, though, probably the most popular device is the Empirical Labs Distressor. These will run you at least $1,200 USD though and that's used. Software is always going to be cheaper ...
Excellent. Thank you!

Well, well, well....

"Countless hits were recorded using Ampex tape recorders and their characterful tube input stages. These preamps promise that legendary sound in a convenient format.

Warm Audio’s latest releases, the WA‑MPX single‑channel tube microphone preamplifier and its two‑channel companion the WA‑2MPX, are inspired by an Ampex tube‑based microphone preamplifier that, in its various incarnations, contributed to the sonic signature of a significant number of iconic 1950s and 1960s studio recordings, in particular from the United States."

Back