fx on 246 Yo Reel person

Hot Rocks

What am I doing wrong with this deck,other than recording. It's been awhile since I used the fx loop on this.I've tried the fx out on both 1&2 fx out to the in and out of my processor to return to 5&6 line in on the back of the deck.nothing. no fx from the rotarys or faders 5&6. I do have the on/off button on on each channel. Thanks in advance to any&all

Hi,

You know, it's very hard to tell exactly what may be wrong. This is the type of troubleshooting that I'd like to be there to do.

Suffice to say, that the channels on the 246 have "Insert"-type accessory jacks. This is a stereo jack that one side is "in" and one side is " out", and you need an appropriate adapter cable for this.

If you're not using the "insert" jacks, but are using the AUX OUT, and returning the signal into 5 & 6, then it's some sort of signal routing problem, that I really cannot determine without being there.

Basic troubleshooting, in general, is a specialty of mine, and I'd just recommend verifying each patch and procedure from the basics, & up, for validity. Without looking at, or knowing more about your setup, it's virtually impossible to pinpoint your problem.

Since you posted this a while ago, and I've been off the web, then maybe you've resolved the problems yourself. If not, and you still need help, then maybe you could explain your signal loop and your basic setup a little more clearly.

I think, most of the time, that these types of problems are configuration related, patching or operator error of some sort. Double check everything, from the most basic point, and up, and then maybe post again later on your situation.

Thanx & good luck.

/DA

PS- also, in the meantime, I'll give your post some thought, and then verify what you describe against an actual 246, or the 246 manual. After I've looked at the 246, specifically regarding your questions, then maybe I'll come up with something relevant or simple.

-I don't use effex loops much, either, but I know they're not supposed to be hard. To me, it seems pretty straight forward, but I'm unable to determine what's wrong, by what you say.

Thanks Reel, I will do the trouble shooting, I do have original fecorded 4track material that I want fx on. Yesterday I dropped the 246 off at a family members home as I'm leaving today to spend a week in Amsterdam and maybe Belgium and Germany. I'm winging it,No plan. I too will be off the net for a while. I get nervous about breakins so much of my portable recording gear is being stored there. It will probably be a few weeks before I will have the opp. to trouble shoot this but I will post my success or failure. Thankyou for your insights, I know you are facinated by these machines as much as I and get a big kick out of their splendid performance

Cool. Amsterdam. Have fun. ;)

You're right, I find recording and gear endlessly fascinating.

I'm a Tascam fanatic, analog purist, and vintage gearhead. The 246 is one of my favorite 4 track Portastudios, and I have one, but it is not my primary recorder. I'm not as intimately familiar with the 246 as I am with some other models, so I can't quote "this switch here, that button there", etc, but I'm an experienced 4 track Portastudio user, open reel and the 388 too.

In general, you can put effects on each channel, 1-4, independently, by using the INSERT jacks, which are stereo/in/out jacks. You'd need an appropriate stereo adapter cable. In this case, the signal passes out of one side of the INSERT connector, through the effects box, and back in, through the other terminal of the same INSERT connector.

The other method, would be to use the AUX 1/AUX 2 outputs, to pass a stereo signal out to your effects, and [like you say], bring back the stereo-effect-return through the channels 5 & 6 inputs.

If properly patched and configured, this should work. This would enable you to listen back/mixdown your 4 track material, while passing a stereo AUX 1/2 output to an effects box, back in on channels 5 & 6, and summed together again onto the main L/R stereo buss. This brings your raw tape signal and your effect signal together in stereo, then line-out & record to another device.

I hope this advice helps you in your recording scenario.

- I know what you mean, about being paranoid about theft of such a nice recording device as the 246. If you're leaving the country, you're using good judgement, not being paranoid, by storing the 246 away as safely as possible. This is a world where shit happens, and people do crappy things to each other.

- I remember, in '82, when I got my 244, and in '83, when I got my 38 and M30, I was VERY paranoid about having them stolen! I had them locked in a double-size closet, and alarmed! I pulled all the gear out to use it, and put it back when I was done! Haha. No lie! I didn't live in the 'best' neighborhood, either, at the time, haha.

Now, I'm in a room with EVERYTHING in it, like $20,000 worth of stuff, and I'm not paranoid at all! Time changes everything.

-Have a nice trip, and good luck with your recording.

Back