From A Seed - Critique

GABritton

Hey, I'm with a band called "From A Seed". We're old school rock w/ new school feel. Not metal, just good rock 'n roll. We're in the process of recording our tracks w/ our Yamaha AW4416. We've got 3 done so far. Let us know what you think. Any and all suggestions are great!!

From A Seed

Wow, very nice!. i listened to Track 3 (whatever song that is lol) and i must say that it sounds very nice. the only thing i would suggest is maybe take some of the reverb off of the vocal and turn it down just a little bit and space out your guitars and other instruments a little bit more in your mix. I really liked your snare sound. could you take the time to tell me how everything was track? and what you used? if you can remember lol.

good job, sounds nice.

zeke

Of course I remeber!!! We used my Yamaha AW4416 w/ 8 channel Behringer Pre-amp connected w/ an ADAT card to the Yamaha.

Everything was done in the same room. The scratch rhythm guitars and scratch vocals were recorded to a click track. The durms were next as long as the scratch tracks were in time. Then the guitars were recorded again, followed by the bass, keyboards, and finally vocals. The room is on our picture page of our site www.fromaseed.com

The drums were done w/ Pro 25 on the kick, SM 57 on the snare. BG-4.1 on the toms, and SM-81's for the overheads. The kick was positioned on the outside of the kick drum, halfway between the sound hole and front head. The snare was close miked. Toms were close miked also. The overheads were a bit tricky. Pretty much, one overhead concntrated on the hi-hat and the other overhead, the ride. The crash cymbals shone through pretty good. The overheads were not close miked, just pointed in the direction of the hi-hat and the ride.

Rhythm guitar was done with a Traynor YCV Custom Blue 50 miked w/ SM57. The lead was done on a Kustom head w/ 4 x 12" cab miked with the same SM57 as the Traynor.

The bass guitar was recorded on our players' 8 x 10" ampeg cabinet powered by a Hartke head. We used a Behringer B2 condenser about 8" off the front of the cabinet, run through a Behringer 2 channel tube pre-amp.

Keyboards were done direct on an Alesis.

Vocals were recorded with the Behringer condenser used on the bass cabinet. I used a Behringer Ultravalve as the pre-amp. All in all it came out nice....we're wworking on the rest of the album now.

Yeah, a little compression was put on everything, but normally nothing over 2:1, maybe 2.5:1. EQ was used on most instruments to bring out their flavor. No compression was used on the Stereo track. The guitars were panned to about 10 & 2 o'clock. Glad you enjoyed. Please ask any other questions.

Try posting a direct link to your songs....alot of people dont want a link to where they got to go to this page, and click this, and then click that, and scroll down to this and click that. just copy the link about the page when your own your songs page and repost that so maybe you can get more people to hear your music.

The vocals are too loud and too wet. Good drumming. Bounce down those tracks and get a proper horn section playing some counterpoint your rhythm section in Peace and Serenity. The lone trumpet only softens the sound. If you want to see how that is properly done to rock check out Oingo Boingo's Good for Your Soul.........Serious.

Back