Fries or Onion rings?

I like fried zucchini too, but I guess I think of that and fried mushrooms (and fried pickles) as more bar food as opposed to fast food.

I used to make fried zucchini and mushrooms at a bar that I worked at. Man I wish I could remember how to make the sauce I made for them! All I seem to remember is mayo, horseradish and mustard. It was pretty simple, whatever it was, but man it was good.

I used to drive a box truck around Southern California. I was always on the lookout for the cool lunch spots. There were still quite a few mom & pop charbroiler joints, the kind that Carl's Jr. was before it became a big chain. They usually had good fried zucchini.
Fortunately there still are a lot of the Greek Mom n Pop burger shops here in So Cal Farmer Boys went all corporate but still put out an awesome fried zucchini...Pepsi, Pepsi, cheeseburger no Coke! ;)

It really boils down to how well they’re done. I’ve had atrocious fries and even worse O rings.

Now if we’re talking peak fries vs peak rings, I think i need to go with Rings.

Definitely onion rings. Kinda torn, but lean more towards the hand breaded in corn flour rather than battered. I likes the crunch.

Has anybody given an up vote for sweet potato fries? I'd still probably go for the rings, maybe. Tots are of a might low rent kiddo affair, but sweet potato tots with a dipping sauce of mayo, squirt of ketchup, prepared horseradish, pinch of sugar, dash of cayenne......as a side for an adult sized slab of blackened tuna steak. Not bad at all.

Has anybody given an up vote for sweet potato fries? I'd still probably go for the rings, maybe. Tots are of a might low rent kiddo affair, but sweet potato tots with a dipping sauce of mayo, squirt of ketchup, prepared horseradish, pinch of sugar, dash of cayenne......as a side for an adult sized slab of blackened tuna steak. Not bad at all.
I'll have to try that sauce. How much mayo, how much horseradish? And I love sweet potato fries. Of course, that wasn't the original question.

Also a big fan of hash browns.

I'll have to try that sauce. How much mayo, how much horseradish? And I love sweet potato fries. Of course, that wasn't the original question.

Also a big fan of hash browns.
I usually just wing it, depends on if it's for 1, 2, 4 people, etc. A lot of places have a similar "secret" sauce, sort of like the sauce for Outback Steakhouse's blooming onion. Add enough ketchup to make the mayo sort of pink. Horse radish to taste, but shouldn't taste like a horse radish sauce. Almost don't know it is in there is about right. Basically it shouldn't taste like any one of the ingredients. More like a "what's in the sauce?" thing...if that makes sense. Yum Yum Sauce from the Japanese steakhouse is similar, minus the horse radish and more sugar. Make it ahead of time to let everything marry up, 1/2 hour will do. Taste test and add any one ingredient you may feel is lacking, or to possibly mute any ingredient that stands out too much. Definitely should not taste like mayo.

I like it with the sweet potato tots/fries because it doesn't seem right to dip sweet potato fries in straight ketchup. But as in the example above with the blackened tuna steak, you can dip meat, wings, and other things in it as well.

You asked! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back