Four questions

Man, finding the right acoustic is harder than finding an electric by miles. I use to love my Ovations, but anymore I'm feelin' that plastic will just never sound like wood.
What I have never liked about Ovation acoustic guitars is the shape of the back of the body. When I'm playing one sitting down it feels like it is about to slip off my leg at any moment, and even when I'm standing up it doesn't feel "right".

oh, i just realized i never updated on my visit to gc today. i played several again (taylors, breedloves, martins, takamines, an ibanez and a gibson).

i was close to buying that $600 martin 12-string, but still need to think about it for a bit.

waiting to hear about the satin finish, plus it doesn't have a cutaway. also, the neck is narrow which makes it incredibly easy to play, but fingerpicking is out of the question, so one of its strengths is also a weakness.

gonna sleep on it some more. i may still end up buying it this week.

oh, i just realized i never updated on my visit to gc today. i played several again (taylors, breedloves, martins, takamines, an ibanez and a gibson).

i was close to buying that $600 martin 12-string, but still need to think about it for a bit.

waiting to hear about the satin finish, plus it doesn't have a cutaway. also, the neck is narrow which makes it incredibly easy to play, but fingerpicking is out of the question, so one of its strengths is also a weakness.

Buy it,fill out your roster.Chances are you're still going to want another six string.;):D

Buy it,fill out your roster.Chances are you're still going to want another six string.;):D

i'm leaning that direction. i figure if i get the 12-string, i'll still have enough $$ left over to get a nice electric as well, and then i can save up for a high-end 6-string a couple years down the road.

A. I NEVER buy a guitar I haven't played. Takes me a loooong time to find the right guitar. Sometimes, even years.

B. Check out the ESP 1000 les Paul copy. Mahogany body, AAA+ flame, set neck, 24 frets, EMG actives (81,89). Starting to see them in a lot of big name acts. Gibsons are selling for $3200 new, while these are just as nice (little nicer, IMHO), for around $1000. Can be found new for as little as $799, and used for around $500.

These sound steller, I love the paul copy I have now but would like to have the option of the hotter emg's. I had an ESP on order, but it was through a discount a buddy got me and it was on backorder for 3 months, I finally said forget it.

Not that it applies to you, because everyone is different. I'm not sure if your Alvarez is a cutaway or not, mine is, and I thought it was necessary when I first bought it. However, I rarely play where the cutaway allows me too, and am not very fond of the sound. But that's just me. Maybe something to consider while trying these gits out

Not that it applies to you, because everyone is different. I'm not sure if your Alvarez is a cutaway or not, mine is, and I thought it was necessary when I first bought it. However, I rarely play where the cutaway allows me too, and am not very fond of the sound. But that's just me. Maybe something to consider while trying these gits out

excellent point. my current alvarez is also a cutaway, and while it's not often i access those upper frets, it's nice to have them available. i've considered this quite a bit since weighing the martin 12-string, and basically been leaning toward the conclusion that for the sound and price, the lack of a cutaway is a negligible drawback.

thank you for solidifying that for me. :)

excellent point. my current alvarez is also a cutaway, and while it's not often i access those upper frets, it's nice to have them available. i've considered this quite a bit since weighing the martin 12-string, and basically been leaning toward the conclusion that for the sound and price, the lack of a cutaway is a negligible drawback.

thank you for solidifying that for me. :)

Glad I could help. The way I look at it is, while it's nice to have that option, rarely is at used in an acoustic recording. And if it were to be, you could always grab your Alvarez for that part, and get decent results. Anyway, if the perfect git with the sound your after and the price you want has a cutaway then great, if it doesn't then great too.
Let us know what you get!
James

You can fix your electric bug cheap. I keep buying Xavieres. I have always had good, big-name US electrics, but I've been buying these guys like candy. A little set-up, and they do just what you'd expect, sometimes more. I returned one out of six for some rough finish work, a couple of the others have become workhorses.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvdocusobo.html

Color of choice. I put in a set of their Lil Killer twin-blade humbuckers. The bridge is ominously overwound, the pickup hole needed a little plastic surgery (wokka wokka, funny bear!) to fit. They are real flame-throwers, but quiet, and retain enough strattiness to bloose it up if desired. If I was to start over, I'd probably skip the set, and get two 6k and a 10k, that bridge is a screamer. Their NeoVin line is extremely interesting, a couple of good Youtube clips are out there. I just need a guitar for them...

So, maybe $260-290ish shipped in a hardshell, with an extra set of pickups.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvchdocu.html

I might be getting one of these next. I have one of the semi-hollow LP styles with P90s, it's frikken delicious. $370-ish shipped with the HSC. I haven't tried those pickups, so I can't vouch for them.

Glad I could help. The way I look at it is, while it's nice to have that option, rarely is at used in an acoustic recording. And if it were to be, you could always grab your Alvarez for that part, and get decent results.

except i'll have to tune the b and high e strings a semitone flat to get those upper frets to hit the proper note b/c the intonation is so out of whack. :mad::D

except i'll have to tune the b and high e strings a semitone flat to get those upper frets to hit the proper note b/c the intonation is so out of whack. :mad::D

:eek: That would be a problem! I haven't had that happen to mine yet. It's fixable though isn't it? I'm just now learning how to do my own git maintanence instead of paying someone everytime I mess something up.

Upper frets that sharp? Is the action really high? When you fret, you are in essence bending the string at the same time. A really high action will get progressively sharper as you go up the board. That's easily fixable. If, on the other hand, you have drastic fallaway, where the fretboard dips into the body past the neck joint (if done properly, this allows a more ideal set-up), well, that's a bigger problem.

Upper frets that sharp? Is the action really high? When you fret, you are in essence bending the string at the same time. A really high action will get progressively sharper as you go up the board. That's easily fixable. If, on the other hand, you have drastic fallaway, where the fretboard dips into the body past the neck joint (if done properly, this allows a more ideal set-up), well, that's a bigger problem.

yeah, the action is high. i'm gonna watch the video that cmunch posted here once the cavs are officially done winning over the pacers.

is this vid the solution you're referring to? or do you have a different link/resource?

yeah, the action is high. i'm gonna watch the video that cmunch posted here once the cavs are officially done winning over the pacers.

is this vid the solution you're referring to? or do you have a different link/resource?

O jeez. Let me ask you guys, are the Pacers as big a joke to everyone else in the nation as they are in Indiana? I was a die hard fan for years, even after the Detroit incident (although I was most thrilled in Reggie Miller's days), but lately the joke is that they are all just a bunch of thugs. It's disgusting really, especially when you can see a game for like 5 bucks a seat because they can't sell any tickets.
ok, rant over.

O jeez. Let me ask you guys, are the Pacers as big a joke to everyone else in the nation as they are in Indiana? I was a die hard fan for years, even after the Detroit incident (although I was most thrilled in Reggie Miller's days), but lately the joke is that they are all just a bunch of thugs. It's disgusting really, especially when you can see a game for like 5 bucks a seat because they can't sell any tickets.
ok, rant over.

they got nothing on the pistons as far as thuggery goes. allan iverson plus rasheed wallace equals ONE BIG DOUCHY TEAM. :mad: i just love it when wallace runs his mouth. i tell him from the couch, "keep running your mouth douchebag!" he always hears and obeys me, and gets a technical. :D

the cavs clinched #1 seed in the nba tonight, and therefore home court advantage throughout the playoffs, up to and including the leage finals!!!!

woohoo!!!!

this is huge for cleveland fans. i mean, come on. you think YOUR team is a joke? have you checked on the state of cleveland sports in the past, oh i don't know, 20 YEARS??? :mad::D

this is our year baby!!! long time coming!!!

Hmm, hopefully, just lowering the action would get you close enough. Problem with the video is the lower frets, especially the first, will probably be disproportionately sharpened. I'd rather suck it up and move the saddle, if it were far enough out to annoy me.

Hmm, hopefully, just lowering the action would get you close enough. Problem with the video is the lower frets, especially the first, will probably be disproportionately sharpened. I'd rather suck it up and move the saddle, if it were far enough out to annoy me.

yeah, i think before i do anything i'm gonna take it in to the local repair shop and see what that guy can do with it to get it optimized. i'm certainly not gonna attempt to move the saddle myself.

they got nothing on the pistons as far as thuggery goes. allan iverson plus rasheed wallace equals ONE BIG DOUCHY TEAM. :mad: i just love it when wallace runs his mouth. i tell him from the couch, "keep running your mouth douchebag!" he always hears and obeys me, and gets a technical. :D

the cavs clinched #1 seed in the nba tonight, and therefore home court advantage throughout the playoffs, up to and including the leage finals!!!!

woohoo!!!!

this is huge for cleveland fans. i mean, come on. you think YOUR team is a joke? have you checked on the state of cleveland sports in the past, oh i don't know, 20 YEARS??? :mad::D

this is our year baby!!! long time coming!!!

Ok, you win. Enjoy it, hopefully your team can actually do something with the talent they have. Pacers seemed to waist it all during the regular season and then tank in the playoffs...every season. I rarely have time to watch sports anymore, I got so sick of the Pacers so when I do watch basketball its college. Last time I heard the lineup Jeff Foster was like the only dude I remembered.

actually, i measured between the bridge/12th and the nut/12th and it looks pretty dead-on to me. then again. how the hell am i gonna see a 40/1000 difference??? :confused:

anyway, my action is indeed high and i'd be willing to shave down my bridge, but here's another problem--the 14th fret of my high E string produces a G because the string ends up resting on the 15 fret when i push it down. won't lowering the action make this problem pop up on more than just that one fret?

Back